Technics SL-1500 questions

gdeleon

Hello all, I just purchased a 1500 and have a few questions. It came without a headshell or cart.

1. What headshell would best fit this unit. Looking for good quality that will not break the bank. Seem to see a lot in the $15 to $30 price range, but which will go best with this arm?

2. Which cart will best fit this arm/unit? I am interested in sound quality and surface noise suppression with a top end budget of around $100. Carts I have researched are $80 - Goldring Elan, $95 - Grado Green1, and $96 - Goldring Elektra. Are any of these a good fit? Others ideas?

I have attached pics of the arm as a reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Gus

1500Arm1.jpg

1500Arm2.jpg

Any standard headshell ought to work just fine on that. A black Technics-branded headshell can usually be found for around $15 online, and it comes with the lead wires to connect a cartridge.

If you can add about $30 to your cartridge budget, go for the Nagaoka MP-110. Sounds fantastic, tracks just about anything you can throw at it and is great on surface noise.

The Technics headshell for the SL-1500 is the SH-98, if you want to keep it original.

Thanks for all the replies.

As far as the headshell, the only $18 one on Amazon is an audio technica that says it's similar to the technics SFPCC31001K. The only technics oem I can find is $50. I must be missing something or bad at searching. Where can I find a technics oem for $20?

On the cart, I also saw the nagaoka 110 as the best for what I was looking for, just seeing if there were any it similar quality for less cash.

Does the at95e do well with surface noise. Seeing mixed reviews, but overall, people seem to like this cart. I just wonder if it's because it is so inexpensive.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies.

As far as the headshell, the only $18 one on Amazon is an audio technica that says it's similar to the technics SFPCC31001K. The only technics oem I can find is $50. I must be missing something or bad at searching. Where can I find a technics oem for $20?

On the cart, I also saw the nagaoka 110 as the best for what I was looking for, just seeing if there were any it similar quality for less cash.

Does the at95e do well with surface noise. Seeing mixed reviews, but overall, people seem to like this cart. I just wonder if it's because it is so inexpensive.

Thanks again.
That headshell you found is fine. Just buy that one, they're all essentially the same at that price point. It doesn't matter whose logo is on it.

It doesn't look like there are any on Amazon for $18 anymore. That price seems to come and go, and they're all sold by third-party sellers. Might have to look elsewhere right now.

Yes, the at-hs1 is what I will probably go with. Would upgrading the lead wires be worth it, or are the ones included good enough?

Thanks.

Just put a headshell/cartridge on it and enjoy it. I have a SL-1300 and a SL-1350; no problems with their lead wires.

just my $0.02

Back
Top Bottom