Technics SL-1600 - any gotchas?

mmcc

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just bought, but have yet to pick up, a Technics SL-1600 with what looks like a Shure V15 Type IV (photos are blurry). I purchased this through a "local" online auction - I'll be driving about an hour to pick it up.

In the pictures it appears to be in good but dusty condition. Fortunately the dust cover seems looks to have borne the brunt of the dirt.

Is there anything I should be looking out for when I get it? Anything I should lubricate before trying to power it up, etc.?

One of the issues could be the automatic return , probably be a good idea to do a through cleaning and check to see if it need the spindle cleaned and lubricanted . That's a start .

Often the automatic set down indexing cam on these gets stuck due to dried out and hardened grease. When that happens the arm will usually swing way in and set down as if it the size selector is set on 7". Simple to fix, just involves cleaning and re-greasing the indexing cam pivot.

The deck mounted pitch controls usually need some De-Oxit, same with the board mounted speed range trimmer pots. Easy to do though, when you're done just set the range trimmers so the deck mounted pitch controls are right about in the middle of their travel when the platter is at the right speed. You can trim them up after the unit is reassembled, they are accessible when you remove the platter mat.

Excellent turntable IMO, these are the ones I never sell off!

Thanks - application of deoxit and removal off old grease are the sorts of repairs I can handle. I hope it works.

Often the automatic set down indexing cam on these gets stuck due to dried out and hardened grease. When that happens the arm will usually swing way in and set down as if it the size selector is set on 7". Simple to fix, just involves cleaning and re-greasing the indexing cam pivot.

The deck mounted pitch controls usually need some De-Oxit, same with the board mounted speed range trimmer pots. Easy to do though, when you're done just set the range trimmers so the deck mounted pitch controls are right about in the middle of their travel when the platter is at the right speed. You can trim them up after the unit is reassembled, they are accessible when you remove the platter mat.

Excellent turntable IMO, these are the ones I never sell off!

I fixed a couple of these with the indexing cam issue. It is an easy fix and there are photos online if you do a search. Just make sure you use the correct grease. These are nice tables and will last a long time if maintained properly. Get some of the Technics spindle oil from KAB to keep the spindle bearing lubed. Hopefully the Shure V15IV is in good shape. These are a good match for this table. Should sound great.

I fixed a couple of these with the indexing cam issue. It is an easy fix and there are photos online if you do a search. Just make sure you use the correct grease. These are nice tables and will last a long time if maintained properly. Get some of the Technics spindle oil from KAB to keep the spindle bearing lubed. Hopefully the Shure V15IV is in good shape. These are a good match for this table. Should sound great.

I'm looking forward to trying it. Is there appreciable difference between Technics spindle oil and sewing machine oil?

New turntable day has arrived! Here it is after a general cosmetic cleanup. As has been predicted in this thread, auto start doesn’t work correctly, but auto stop does and it works fine with a manual start. There also seems to be a poor connection in one of the RCA cables. Speed adjustment seems to work just fine, and the cartridge and stylus seem to be in good shape too.

I think with a little poking around I’ll be able to fix the minor issues that exist. I might try buffing our the scratches in the dust cover eventually.

7567F27A-A8CF-45DD-A6E8-441639505B3F.jpeg E268F9D1-7465-4B45-A3E8-89BA345DBD42.jpeg C5CB5EA3-4C76-40DB-8082-389DC3D9B1F8.jpeg

Here’s the thread that walks you through the repair. I just did this today to my newly found sl-1600. Surprisingly simple to do.
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34199

Thanks! I had actually already fixed it by the time I saw your post - another kind soul had posted much the same pictures.

I also found this YouTube video useful - it shows how to take everything apart. He also gets in how to add damping fluid to the cuing piston.

That is a nice table. Clean it up, maybe upgrade the RCAs and feet, and enjoy.

The V15-IV is quite a score to. With OEM Stylus it appears. I would check the alignment and check VTF. That should track from 1.25 down to 1 gram. Check the quality of the diamond if you have a loop or microscope

That is a nice table. Clean it up, maybe upgrade the RCAs and feet, and enjoy.

The V15-IV is quite a score to. With OEM Stylus it appears. I would check the alignment and check VTF. That should track from 1.25 down to 1 gram. Check the quality of the diamond if you have a loop or microscope

- Replacing the RCA's is on the to-do list, as there seems to be a short in the current set. If they are bent the wrong way, one of the channels cuts out. I found an old discussion where member hakaplan recommended video component cables. Does that advice still hold?
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/turntable-rca-cable-replacement.157401/

- Any recommended feet for this model?

- I found something on the Shure website that said VTF was supposed to be 1.25 - 1.75 g. I'm currently at 1.5. Seems to work pretty well unless my son is stomping around.
http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/v15-type-iv-tracking-force

Back
Top Bottom