Technics SL-DL5 tracking too fast

MichaeI

When I play a record, the needle drops where it is supposed to, but then starts to scoot across the record way too fast. The tone arm becomes angled, like it is being dragged by its parent for acting up in the store. The red indicator light gets way ahead of the cartridge. About half way through the 33, it auto stops and returns to rest. I haven't seen anything on forums about this particular problem, and don't see anything in the manual. I removed a black cover under the hood, and the belt looks fine, if not a little loose, and nothing seems to be broken. A co-worker mentioned that he wanted to get into vinyl, and I told him that I had a working turntable for him, but looks like I don't after all. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Lint on the stylus
No stylus
To much anti skate
Tonearm bearing shot
Headshell/ cartridge loose
Possibly other things that it could be but that's where I'd start looking

linear tracking models are more difficult to get working. Anything stand out if you operate it with the tonearm mechanism exposed? Also, have you seen how this thing supposed to function? I mean, usually these models when first turned on, the tonearm "scans" the whole record, and looks for the empty grooves first. It could be the stylus is too low while it's trying to do this scan.

Its a linear tracker, so no antiskate. They have a couple of switches that sense the arm angle relative to the carriage. If the switches are funky, or if the two adjustments that control the tracking motor have been meddled with it won't track right. I forget what they are called, possibly gain and linearity, but there is a specific adjustment procedure involving some special record and a voltmeter to set those up.

If the belt on the tracking motor is in bad shape these get real stupid too. Might be worth changing that out before getting too crazy with troubleshooting. The belt slips and the motor's position sensing stops working correctly. It relies on a reluctor wheel or an optical sensor on the motor to determine how much the carriage should have moved.

When I play a record, the needle drops where it is supposed to, but then starts to scoot across the record way too fast. The tone arm becomes angled, like it is being dragged by its parent for acting up in the store. The red indicator light gets way ahead of the cartridge. About half way through the 33, it auto stops and returns to rest. I haven't seen anything on forums about this particular problem, and don't see anything in the manual. I removed a black cover under the hood, and the belt looks fine, if not a little loose, and nothing seems to be broken. A co-worker mentioned that he wanted to get into vinyl, and I told him that I had a working turntable for him, but looks like I don't after all. Any ideas would be appreciated.
.Remove the dust cover. ( Three screws under the cover, then the two rear hinge screws. ) There is a small round silver pot with a small opening for a screwdriver to the upper left of the tonearm, that pot will determine the sensitivity of the arm transport. Put a record on, power the turntable up with a record you don't really care about. Press lightly on the transport assembly so it's at the same level as it would be with the dustcover on, and hit play. You can use a small screwdriver to accurately adjust the movement of the tonearm. Too much in one direction and the tonearm just skidds across the record, too much in the other and it won't move at all. Somewhere in the middle and your problem is solved!

Back
Top Bottom