Technics SL1200 MKII @ Ortofon MC Tango

LazySounds

Technics SL1200 MKII & Ortofon MC Tango

I just randomly started bidding on a Ortofon MC Tango on eBay.

I know nothing about it, I haven't read any reviews, this is just a totally unplanned potentially silly adventure.

So will this thing work on my SL1200?

I have a Yamaha integrated amp with an MM phono input, will I need a step up transformer or a separate preamp or something, if so what is the cheapest option?

Thanks

Last edited:
I just randomly started bidding on a Ortofon MC Tango on eBay.

I know nothing about it, I haven't read any reviews, this is just a totally unplanned potentially silly adventure.

I think AK's all about the adventure.

So will this thing work on my SL1200?

Yes, it should.

I have a Yamaha integrated amp with an MM phono input, will I need a step up transformer or a separate preamp or something, if so what is the cheapest option?

Thanks
This might be suitable. I think AK's advance members could offer more info.
http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc760pp.html

It's a low-output moving coil cartridge (LOMC), so yes... you'll need a step-up transformer or a separate MC head-amp (pre-pre-amp). Or a separate phono pre-amp with built-in LOMC support. The latter is probably your cheapest option... e.g. a TCC TC-760 for $53 from www.phonopreamps.com.

Edit: langston beat me to it. Same recommendation, too...

Thanks a lot guys, recommendations greatly appreciated.

I think you might also need some form of alignment device eg:protractor, and possibly overhang gauge. Note: not sure both are needed. You might get by with only one of them.

The protractors, I think are available through vinylengine.

The overhang gauge can be bought through kabusa

Good luck, and enjoy your LOMC.

Last edited:
No protractor needed just make sure the stylus is 52mm from the start of the headshell and square in the headshell.

Alignment

I have the little plastic overhang gauge jig that came with the turntable and I also have a laminated 2 point Ortofon alignment tool both of which seem to do the job.

I do prefer the Technics overhang gauge plastic jig thing as it is super easy to use, and I have never had any issues with inner groove distortion, sibilance or any of the other alignment bug bears.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom