Technics still the best?

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Defunctpunk, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Defunctpunk

Defunctpunk New Member

so they say vinyl is a hipster thing, but I’m 40 and can attest that there’s an openness and more personal experience with vinyl than CD, than MP3. When CDs came out, I was excited to get this new technology, and eventually they made CD players for your car. Wow. But now I find myself 40, divorced, and looking for nostalgia where times were innocent and pure. I had a technics player back then. I don’t remember the model but I remember it had pitch correction, it looked awesome and it sounded like you were at a concert. Any lyrics you didn’t quite understand on a CD where pretty clear on vinyl. It was almost as if the band was in the room with you. I want that again. I want to revisit that childhood interpretation of music. My questions are simple, is a vintage technics player still a viable option? Are they ridiculously priced or hard to find? I’ve heard of marantz but other than a cassette deck, never heard one spin vinyl. I recently went bankrupt so I’m looking for that experience but with a hefty coupon

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Riddley

Riddley New Member

You are probably thinking of the venerable SL 1200 direct drive. Rock solid steel construction, super easy tonearm height adjustment ( = optimize Vertical Tracking Angle). This works hand in hand with the removable head shell, as you can have another cartridge (mono, or your big bucks reserved-for-pristine vinyl pickup) and swap it out in seconds. I believe they've started making these again, at a premium price. Many used units around, tons of parts, and folks who can restore them.

There is a pitch control but these units have rock-solid quartz speed control (and I don't know why you'd want to play records too fast unless you're a DJ making room for more commercials.)

You can spend as much as you want for a turntable but the SL1200 is a terrific unit - I got a rebuilt MK 2 last summer - no dust cover, a few minor blems on the chassis, for less than $400. Plays like a champ.
    technics-sl-1200-mk2-377758.jpg

wurlyman likes this.
  3. slow_jazz

slow_jazz AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm partial to my Pioneer PL-550.

Technics are plentiful and good.

Best of luck.

4. gizzyman47

gizzyman47 Super Member

I like my quartz locked pioneer pl-600.

5. lurp

lurp Member

SL1200 is a good table, but not much to look at. The vintage Marantz tables, most of which were made for them by CEC I believe (who also made Pioneer's, Kenwood's,etc.), are pretty, but really not worth the "Marantz" tax IMO, and I own most of them :)
    • The 6100 is a fairly basic, vinyl-veneered belt drive with auto cueing
    • The 6200 adds speed adjustment and a strobe, and adds some queuing features (repeat, etc.)
    • The 6300 is a gorgeous direct drive with a nice heavy plinth and wood veneer, but the tonearm damper is fiddly and mine won't hold a stable 33-1/3 to save itself (better after being lubed and recapped, but not great). This one's looks and name demand a premium its performance doesn't live up to IMO.
    • The 6350q is my favorite of the bunch. Quartz locked and a better tonearm than any of the above. I have a Dennon DL301 moving coil cart on mine, and aside from the typical direct-drive rumble, it sounds nearly as good as much higher-end tables.
    • The 6370q... Someone else will have to opine, as I've never had one! Regardless, they're hard to find and anything but cheap if you do.
    Given your stated objectives, I think a care-worn Technics, as others have suggested, makes a lot of sense, and hopefully leaves some room in the budget for a decent cart and phono pre-amp.

6. bktheking

bktheking Gitter Done! Subscriber

Yes a mk2 1200 is a perfect option- affordable and bulletproof and will run for years without needing maintenance. Wanna step up the game, sp10 mk2 or mk3 it even better.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. likebike23

likebike23 Super Member

I got a Technics SL-1900 for $20 on Craigslist a couple years ago. It needed work, but it runs great now. It's a nice fully automatic model which I find convenient. The SL-1200 is fully manual, so you will need to drop the needle and take it off at the end of the record.

8. _tk

_tk Member

Just a thought...but there are plenty of decent new tables being made that won't break the bank. Vintage is nice, but good vintage tables usually aren't cheap and/or they need some work.

You might luck into something on craigslist, but in my area if you're not there with money ASAP, the item will be gone.