Technics SU-G91

So I picked up a Technics SU-G91 recently along with 2 SB-A64 speakers (Only $40 too and works perfectly) ;) . Love the sound out of them.

Now I tried to get my harmony TV remote to work with them and figured out that I need the ST-K50 to receive the remote control commands.

Could someone tell me what the model number of the entire system is? It's so hard to find any documentation online about this system.

I also noticed a low hum from the speakers at a high volume. I'm assuming the ST-K50 will solve this issue as well.

What's the remote connection on your amp look like?

IMAG0874.jpg

On the schematic it's shown as a stereo phone jack, so 2.5" male/male cord should work.

Does anyone know the model of the CD player it came with?

Since your question was posted five and a half years ago, I doubt you're still looking for the answer, but for anyone else who happens along wanting to know, I've listed the models of the components that are with the SU-G91 system I have. This was an estate sale buy, so I suppose some of these could have been substituted over the years, but I doubt it. It looks like it was all made to go together.

Amp.......................SU-G91 New Class A
Tuner.....................ST-K50
CD.........................SL-PD825
Equalizer...............SH-8017
Tape......................RS-TR311
Remote..................RAK-SA502P
Front speakers......SB-A53
Rear Speakers......SB-S16
Center Speaker.....Unknown (missing from my unit, guessing it's the same as the rear speakers)

Since your question was posted five and a half years ago, I doubt you're still looking for the answer, but for anyone else who happens along wanting to know, I've listed the models of the components that are with the SU-G91 system I have. This was an estate sale buy, so I suppose some of these could have been substituted over the years, but I doubt it. It looks like it was all made to go together.

Amp.......................SU-G91 New Class A
Tuner.....................ST-K50
CD.........................SL-PD825
Equalizer...............SH-8017
Tape......................RS-TR311
Remote..................RAK-SA502P
Front speakers......SB-A53
Rear Speakers......SB-S16
Center Speaker.....Unknown (missing from my unit, guessing it's the same as the rear speakers)
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for!

If someone has an su-g91 and its stuck in muting on and they don't have a remote - this is how to un-mute it. Turn the volume knob all the way down. Then turn it back up and it comes back un-muted.
I have 2 right now, 1 dead and one working.

Cool.
Srinath.

Hello all. I just want to comment that a friend of mine gave me this very amp in 1990 when he purchased a new yamaha. It worked PERFECT until 2002 when it started turning off after 30 mins of music. I investigated, and installed a higher cfm fan- still quiet- and have not had ANY issues since. This is the "go-to" stereo on the back enclosed porch, and has fed 2 sets of EPIs from the early 80s, and rocks darn near every day. I have loved Technics products since high school in the 70s. My first MAJOR audio purchase was a SA 818 reciever that my younger sister still rocks with her HD radio gear. My humble opinion is for the ERA, Technics is hard to beat based on the cost!

Regards,
Scotty

Are you just being rude or plain ignorant? Totl Technics gear is really really nice stuff.

http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/technicsRS1800p2/RS1800-001.jpg

Or google Se A1 SU A2... Both items, if you can find them, which I highly doubt, will be very expensive. Find me a A2 that works and I will buy you a new small car.

For about, 1500+ you can, if you find one, get a SE A3 MKII. It is to me the most beautiful amp ever produced.

I won't start about the turntable that was used in every radio station and club in the world.
If there was a “love “ button I would have hit it!!! “just ignorant “ buy the way . Some ppls kids...
Are you just being rude or plain ignorant? Totl Technics gear is really really nice stuff.

http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/technicsRS1800p2/RS1800-001.jpg

Or google Se A1 SU A2... Both items, if you can find them, which I highly doubt, will be very expensive. Find me a A2 that works and I will buy you a new small car.

For about, 1500+ you can, if you find one, get a SE A3 MKII. It is to me the most beautiful amp ever produced.

I won't start about the turntable that was used in every radio station and club in the world.

I've got this amp playing in my garage and all the issues, except the remote, are things I deal w/ as well. I need to replace the fan for sure - it's hot and the fan barely turns - just noticed. The dry sockets are a nuisance. I have the equalizer SH-8018 as well but none of the others. Found them cheap at GW and feel fortunate to own. I tried to use a Peavey PV15M as the center but either the output is to low 20W or the amp just doesn't work for that channel. I'm not sure the huge Peavey is even capable of being used as a "stereo speaker" - the fuse checks out. It'd be cool to use it for something - I salvaged it from the dump believe it or not w/ a KB5 piano amp - it has some board issues.
If someone has a resource they can point me to for a Techniques SU-G91 users manual I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to determine if the rear and center speaker outputs can be tested/adjusted as the front panel implies.
Thanks

G91 is circa 1992 130W/ch with 20watt surround channels. Punchy amp, tho heatsink is too small. Make sure the cooling fan works if you crank it up (try this with no speakers connected) put spkr A on and then when the power meters head to the 10w bracket the fan oughta kick in. Other than that this amp doesnt have any bad points.

Oh ev13wt Im fortunate enough to have 2 SE-A3MK2 power amps I love em!
Do you know how to change ur setting in the su-g91 to the phones setting it has on the front

found an SU-G91 being sold locally. seeing that this thread has lotsa valid input and experiences with the amp, is paying the equivalent of $166 worth it? i've yet to audition the unit and test all its modes and functions. thanks in advance!

found an SU-G91 being sold locally. seeing that this thread has lotsa valid input and experiences with the amp, is paying the equivalent of $166 worth it? i've yet to audition the unit and test all its modes and functions. thanks in advance!

TBH, I got these 2 I have now in limping condition free, and the previous one I think was $20 at purchase and sale. TBH, $160+ around here will get you a lot of vintage amp and if you must have an early 90's amp, I'll sell you my technics SA-TX30 - 2 huge dancing power meters and throw in the 2 su-g91's free. But then again this is in Charlotte NC in US. We're awash in this crap.

TBH, I got these 2 I have now in limping condition free, and the previous one I think was $20 at purchase and sale. TBH, $160+ around here will get you a lot of vintage amp and if you must have an early 90's amp, I'll sell you my technics SA-TX30 - 2 huge dancing power meters and throw in the 2 su-g91's free. But then again this is in Charlotte NC in US. We're awash in this crap.
thanks srinath! looked and researched around some more and found a Sansui AU-D607 - the japanese release of AU-D517. which i believe i really need to go with my mk3 1200. looking to add a tape deck and maybe a cd player in the future. i now need to look for a good pair of loudspeakers to rock with it. currently hooked up with a PSB Alpha B1's.

Back
Top Bottom