Technics SU - V5

AudioAdam

Wharfedale Fan
I recently bought a Technics SU - V5 for £10 ( Don't know what that is in American). I have read some negative reviews about it but the reviewers (not on this site) seemed like dumb twats as they were reviewing it on apparance. I thought I'd ask you guys and see what you think

See link below for pic, or click back and scroll through list for specs:
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/integrated/suv5.htm

I've got an SU-V9. It's one powerful Mutha! It definitely has a 'sound' to it, I think its popularity may depend on the speakers mated to it, perhaps more than would be so for many other amps. The real question is, what do YOU think?

I also have an SU-V4. It drives my AR5s easily. The 'new class A' circuitry puts out some heat, but then it's intended to.

Don't see anything wrong with its appearance either.

Bob

I have an SU-G91, 130 wpc, Technics integrated amp driving a pair of JBL L100's. Good match. It is the New Class A, too.

bully , I have a SU-G91 as well but could find no info on it at all in Orion , are you sure its 130wpc ? Any idea where to get specs and info , Thanks , Gary .

I've got an SU-V9 and its the most powerful amp I've ever heard! Can't turn it up past 2 without making your ears bleed! Nice, well built amp. Not the prettiest by any means but soundwise I'd say it was up there with the best of mid-priced amps.........

I, too, have an SU-V9, and concur on the power within this beast. I'd really love to find a set of power-vampire speakers to mate this thing with. It has 'too much' power for my more efficient speakers.

Micropassatman said:
I, too, have an SU-V9, and concur on the power within this beast. I'd really love to find a set of power-vampire speakers to mate this thing with. It has 'too much' power for my more efficient speakers.

i know what you mean man..... i'm too frightened to hook up my 101db efficient kenwoods to it incase i accidently knock the damn volume level over 1! :sigh: thats my 1 gripe about this amp; the volume control isn't stiff enough so its all too easy to accidently move if you brush past it.....

I have a SU V7

I have a V7 and a 7300 tuner I use in my workshop (ok, it's really a laundry room with a workbench area). I like it with my AR 2ax's, but it sounded much better with my EPI 200b's. It's my first integrated ... a good amp for the $35 I spent on it.

I've passed up a few of these in the thrifts. Are they actually quality Class A amps, or is that just a name given to some kinda mid-fi Technics technology? Not trying to draw flames, just wondering. If they are great units, I will be bummed because they are always pretty cheap and more common around here than not. Aren't there a couple of receivers in this line?

I bought one today at an estate sale for $10 just to see how it stacked up against my Denon PMA-520. Let's just say that if you like a bit more brightness to your listening, this amp will be good for you; it won't be for those who prefer a somewhat warmer sound. The Technics also produces more heat, this will probably not be good for enclosed spaces with little ventilation. My Denon handles the same space with no problems.

Also, my EQ is tweaked in order to bring down the mids and some his in the Bose 401s, the Technics sounded brighter even with the EQ settings at the same levels.

Old thread but I have two, V7 and V9. Do not find them ugly at all, especially the V9. Just a couple of small lights when its on, nothing to draw attention to it. Both have very good phono stages. I only use them for vinyl and bypass the eq on both of them.

I have an SU-G91, 130 wpc, Technics integrated amp driving a pair of JBL L100's. Good match. It is the New Class A, too.

I was selling a pair of L100s and thought I'd use the SU-G91 to good effect. Not so much. I quickly traded it out with a lowly Yamaha CR-400 receiver. 18W/ channel.
No comparison, Night and day. Sun and moon. The Yamaha stomped on the Technics, the magic was back.
Both units completely original, the Yamaha 15 years older.
I use the 400 from time to time, to test for audio goodness. The Technics hasn't been fired up since...

Back
Top Bottom