TEKTON DESIGN "LORE", are they seriously as good as the reviews ?

SixCats!

Hi all,

I'm sort of at a "cross roads". I've always wanted a pair of Magnepan Speakers however,
I'm always afraid to "pull the trigger" on the "Maggies" due to their unique properties
(power requirements, placement etc). Lately, I've been thinking, perhaps I should just purchase the (entry level) MMGi's for use with "smaller" music (if you will) to "scratch" that "Maggie" itch. However, this is when I start thinking about the the TEKTON DESIGN LORE Speakers which are listed as waaaay more efficient (98 db) which of course means that I could drive "LORE" with ease (using either my FISHER 400 or NAD C326 BEE) Amps). According to "reviews" the "LORE" will not only play louder (if need be) but are also very good sounding at "low" volumes. If I were to purchase the "LORE", it would replace my old pair of POLK 10 Monitors. I admit to very much liking the POLK's but, I suspect the new "LORE" Speakers would outperform (in most every way) the older Polk's. I sure would love to hear from any "LORE" owners as to your experiences. Thanks.

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/tekton-design-lore-2-0-loudspeaker/

SixCats!

I have not heard the speakers, but the accounts I've read have been pretty favorable.

My main point of posting though, since is seems to be of some importance to you, is that the sensitivity of some Tekton speakers has been challenged as optimistically rated.

Last edited:
Hello Whoaru,

Ummmm, if I understand you correctly, you are saying the "LORE" is NOT as efficient as the claims of 98 db ?
I suppose that could be the case. That being said, I suspect the "LORE" would be a lot more efficient than the "Maggies".
I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding Speaker purchase.

SixCats!

Hello Whoaru,

Ummmm, if I understand you correctly, you are saying the "LORE" is NOT as efficient as the claims of 98 db ?
I suppose that could be the case. That being said, I suspect the "LORE" would be a lot more efficient than the "Maggies".
I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding Speaker purchase.

SixCats!

I don't recall if it was the Lore or some other Tekton model. Only that one of them was roughly 6dB less sensitive than advertised. To me that brings into question all of them in that regard.

But, if the possibility they are not 98dB sensitivity isn't really that big of a deal to you, only something more than mid or upper 80s, then it's probably of little material concern (other than perhaps a fundamental point of if you put out a number it should at least be accurate).

I've have m lores and currently have the lore reference. I've also have MMGs. I cannot speak to the lore but will say that my experience with Tekton has been very good. They are more dynamic and play lower than the MMGs did. The sound stage was about the same. The Maggie's were really cool but I'd take either of the Tektons I've had over them.

Hi Guys,

Whoaru, regarding efficiently, I have a newly re-furbished FISHER 400 Tube Receiver just pining for "efficient" Speakers. Then again, I also have a new NAD C326BEE which would no doubt have more Balls for use with less efficient speakers. Prighello, thanks for responding to my thread. I'm please to hear your experience with Tekton has been very good. Your thoughts/insight on this subject (owning both Maggies and Tekton) is very helpful/useful information. As I mentioned earlier, I've always loved Maggies but, having a limited budget and space (the more I think about it) me thinks I might be better off spending my money on a Speakers that are more versatile. If I where to purchase even small Maggies, I (may) need to purchase another (more powerful) Amp for best performance. I'd like to avoid having to purchase another Amp. The only thing that really makes me unsure of the Tekton's is, I would have to buy them blind. I admit however to being rather flexible (liking a lot of different Speaker types/sounds). That being said, I'm not quite sure what to expect (sound wise) from the Tekton's. From years past, I KNOW I love the Maggie sound. Then again, I'm also a big fan of (many) "English" Speakers (especially enjoying my (((AE))) AGEIS ONE Speakers. In addition, I've been VERY much enjoying a pair of Classic Polk 10 Monitors as well as a smaller pair of Bozak 201A Sonora Speakers. In the past, I have enjoyed several Classic Klipsch speakers however, I always seem to give em up (which is telling me something).
Prig, I realize this is almost am impossibility but, how might you describe the Tekton's sound over all ? Thanks again Prig, for any more additional information you may provide.

Regards,

SixCats!

@SixCats!

The way I’d describe Tektons is, live/here/present. The music is in the room with you and there is a sort of directness to it. No shouty per se but present and attention grabbing. The speakers are not laidback or in the background. You are in the front row. The MMGs have a similar presentation and both speakers throw a large soundstage. The Tektons seemed to image better.

One thing I liked about the MMGs was how they filled my home with sound. They sounded great even from another room but we had an open floor plan and thus their dipole nature really showed off; they sounded the same from behind as forwards. The Tektons filled the room as well but sounded better when sitting in front of the speakers. The MMGs also have a sparkly character to the highs the M Lore lacked. The Lore Reference has much better treble and is closer to the MMGs.

Where the Tektons win was in range and impact. They actually have bass while the MMGs were distinctly lacking in this department. For orchestral music and cinematic music the Tektons just crushed the MMGs in dynamics and emotion. They also don’t need to be pulled several feet away from the back wall due to front porting.

Both speakers are great and in the mid range and above will have similar sound so it really depends upon what type of music you like and your room. Also, for the MMGs don’t sweat WPC, just make sure you are 4ohm stable. I ran my MMGs off an Onkyo A-9050 for a good while before I got a monster power amp that did 600 WPC 4 ohms. They did not suffer from running off the Onkyo, but the thing ran pretty hot!

Just for reference, I’d had a bunch of speakers in the past 5 years: Polk RT400s & Monitor 50s, Seas Custom 2ways, Mark Audio Alpair 7s, Fostex FE103en, Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s, Tekton M Lores & Lore Reference, KEF LS50s, Magnepan MMGs, and a few others. The only speakers I went back to were the Tektons. The rest are sold or given away and the KEF LS50s are sitting in a closet.

I hope all this info helps. :)

I too have gone through the speaker merry go round over the past 5 years and that ride has come to an abrupt end. I have owned two different pairs of Tektons, the M-Lore and the Pendragons. The only reason I sold the Pendragons is they got damaged in a move. Cosmetically only but still couldn't live with it. And I will tell you this, I was going to go back to Tekton's out of all the other speakers until I switched Utah high efficiency speaker camps and when the ZU Audio route. And I know you asked about Tektons but I am only suggesting ZU because they are a similar speaker and similar philosophy to Tektons. I got a pair of the ZU Audio Omen DIrty Weekends and they are ridiculously great! I love them!

https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-2

They only do a limited run on them a few times per year, so you have to get them ordered during that time. Which should be very soon. If you decide to go the Tekton route, you WON'T have any regrets. They are a great speaker and can be powered by pretty much anything. I powered both pairs of Tektons with a 2watt per channel set amp. Even if the 98db rating is a little over optimistic, they are still a hell of a lot more efficient than anything else out there.

Hi guys,

THANK YOU both! You both have been very helpful! prig, you (having had lots of nice Speakers) sure do make a great case for the Tekton's.
Wow, the KEF's sitting in the closet! I thought the LS50's were suppose to be "the Cats Meow!" ? HiFiJeff, thanks for the recommendation.
In fact, ZU has been on my radar in the past. I will looking into the Omen's as well. Thanks. Oooh, lots to ponder!

SixCats!

Hi all,

Well, it's been seven months since I started this TEKTON thead. As of this date (December 23, 2018) I have NOT yet purchased NEW Speakers.

I feel that I'm still spinning my wheels. That being said, over the last seven months, I have acquired several (Pristine condition/used) pairs of Speakers to play.

I have tested/listened to : B&W 601 Bookshelf Speakers, (((AE))) Acoustic Energy Aegis One's, Polk T90e Euro Towers, Paradigm 3se Mk.ll Monitors and a pair

of Polk 10 Monitors. While all sound nice and have their virtues, on the whole, I find that I prefer/require LARGER (than small Bookshelf) Speakers.

I find that the Polk 10 Monitors (despite having smaller drivers) produce a pretty darn good BIG sound! I suspect this is due to the use of a large Passive Radiator

and a heavy/large Cabinet. I had these large Polk Speakers on my 27" stands but the 10 Monitors are TOO large for these stands. Aesthetically, not pleasing.

I presently have the Paradigm 3se Mk.ll on these stands and they work (and sound) very nice indeed! Much more aesthetically pleasing (and safer) as the 3se Mk.ll's

(while larger than the B&W 601's) are more compact compared to the Polk 10's. Prior to setting up the 3se Mk.ll's, I tried the Polk the Towers. I have now come to the

realization that (on the whole) I am not a big fan of smaller driver Speakers for a "main" system. I VERY much like the (((AE))) Acoustic Energy Aegis One's which I have

as my Bedroom system connected to my Fisher 400 Tube Receiver. I like the AE more so than the B&W 601's (which are no slouch). That being said, the Paradigm 3se Mk.ll's

with it's large 8" driver just has that "FATTER" sound which I prefer. So, all this being said, I'm now leaning toward "Floor Standing" Speaker (could be two or three way)

with more "efficient/larger" drivers. Oooh, I wouldn't completely rule out (stand) Bookshelf Speakers however, me thinks any Bookshelf Speakers that I consider would have to

be physically larger (with at least 8" Drivers) than the likes of my B&W 601's/AE Aegis One's and closer to my present use Paradigm 3se Mk.ll's. The problem is however, I can find no

(new) Speakers that are around the size of the older Paradigm's. I notice that the old POLK Monitor 7's (said to be Polk's best sounding Monitor) is slightly larger than the Paradigm 3se Mk.ll

PARADIGM 3se Mk.ll Type: Bookshelf / Stand mounted Design: 2-driver, 2-way bass reflex. Quasi- 3rd order resistive port. Crossover: 3rd order electro - acoustic at 2.0kHz. High Frequency Driver: 25mm (1") PTD™ pure-titanium dome and former, ferro-fluid damped cooled. Bass / Midrange Driver: 210mm (8') with diecast chassis, ICP™ injection - moulded co-polymer poly - propylene cone, Apical™ former Low FrequencyExtension (DIN): 36Hz (DIN) Frequency Response: On Axis (0°) ±2dB from 54Hz - 20kHz / Off Axis (30°) ±2dB from 54Hz - 18kHz Sensitivity -- Room / Anechoic: 90dB / 87dB Internal Volume: 22 litres / 0.78 cu ft Impedance: 8 ohms Physical Dimensions: H= 20" x W= 9.5" x D= 11" Weight: 24 lbs.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to gamble on the TEKTON LORE's as I would have to buy before listening. I'm thinking the Lore's would sound nice with my FISHER 400 Tube Receiver.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

SixCats!

Hi all,

Well, it's been seven months since I started this TEKTON thead. As of this date (December 23, 2018) I have NOT yet purchased NEW Speakers.

I feel that I'm still spinning my wheels. That being said, over the last seven months, I have acquired several (Pristine condition/used) pairs of Speakers to play.

I have tested/listened to : B&W 601 Bookshelf Speakers, (((AE))) Acoustic Energy Aegis One's, Polk T90e Euro Towers, Paradigm 3se Mk.ll Monitors and a pair

of Polk 10 Monitors. While all sound nice and have their virtues, on the whole, I find that I prefer/require LARGER (than small Bookshelf) Speakers.

I find that the Polk 10 Monitors (despite having smaller drivers) produce a pretty darn good BIG sound! I suspect this is due to the use of a large Passive Radiator

and a heavy/large Cabinet. I had these large Polk Speakers on my 27" stands but the 10 Monitors are TOO large for these stands. Aesthetically, not pleasing.

I presently have the Paradigm 3se Mk.ll on these stands and they work (and sound) very nice indeed! Much more aesthetically pleasing (and safer) as the 3se Mk.ll's

(while larger than the B&W 601's) are more compact compared to the Polk 10's. Prior to setting up the 3se Mk.ll's, I tried the Polk the Towers. I have now come to the

realization that (on the whole) I am not a big fan of smaller driver Speakers for a "main" system. I VERY much like the (((AE))) Acoustic Energy Aegis One's which I have

as my Bedroom system connected to my Fisher 400 Tube Receiver. I like the AE more so than the B&W 601's (which are no slouch). That being said, the Paradigm 3se Mk.ll's

with it's large 8" driver just has that "FATTER" sound which I prefer. So, all this being said, I'm now leaning toward "Floor Standing" Speaker (could be two or three way)

with more "efficient/larger" drivers. Oooh, I wouldn't completely rule out (stand) Bookshelf Speakers however, me thinks any Bookshelf Speakers that I consider would have to

be physically larger (with at least 8" Drivers) than the likes of my B&W 601's/AE Aegis One's and closer to my present use Paradigm 3se Mk.ll's. The problem is however, I can find no

(new) Speakers that are around the size of the older Paradigm's. I notice that the old POLK Monitor 7's (said to be Polk's best sounding Monitor) is slightly larger than the Paradigm 3se Mk.ll

PARADIGM 3se Mk.ll Type: Bookshelf / Stand mounted Design: 2-driver, 2-way bass reflex. Quasi- 3rd order resistive port. Crossover: 3rd order electro - acoustic at 2.0kHz. High Frequency Driver: 25mm (1") PTD™ pure-titanium dome and former, ferro-fluid damped cooled. Bass / Midrange Driver: 210mm (8') with diecast chassis, ICP™ injection - moulded co-polymer poly - propylene cone, Apical™ former Low FrequencyExtension (DIN): 36Hz (DIN) Frequency Response: On Axis (0°) ±2dB from 54Hz - 20kHz / Off Axis (30°) ±2dB from 54Hz - 18kHz Sensitivity -- Room / Anechoic: 90dB / 87dB Internal Volume: 22 litres / 0.78 cu ft Impedance: 8 ohms Physical Dimensions: H= 20" x W= 9.5" x D= 11" Weight: 24 lbs.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to gamble on the TEKTON LORE's as I would have to buy before listening. I'm thinking the Lore's would sound nice with my FISHER 400 Tube Receiver.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

SixCats!

Hello there,

I have found myself in a very similar boat - currently on B&W Monitor Speakers, and looking to upgrade to either Maggies (MGGi), Zu Audio DW or Tekton Lore Reference, seeing all of these are near the same price range. While the MGGi's look gorgeous, I do not want to add a sub-woofer into the system and I feel they will be lacking the lower range that I like on bass-heavy tracks like music from the band Yes.

I like the look of the Zu DW's more (and the finishes), good enough to not use a grill, while the Tekton Lore Reference would come out a bit cheaper overall. Also worth noting is that currently I'm using a SS amp (100W/channel) as opposed to a tube amp. Please do let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I'm leaning to going with the Zu DW's in April/May if by then I don't decide on a different alternative. I wish the Arx A5 was better available, it seems a good alternative to the already mentioned models.

@SixCats! Not trying to discourage you from the Maggies, but from your most recent post talking about the characteristics that you like and/or dislike about the speakers you are currently playing with, I really don't think Maggies are for you. I love mine, and they are definitely "keepers", but with Maggies it is kind of "go big, or go home". I have 3.6R's which are 6' X 2' panels, which can be rather "imposing" in a room--especially with their placement requirements.

Mine go plenty deep in the bass dept., but do like their "juice"--I bi-amp w/two Aragon 4004's (400 wpc each @ 4ohms). Smaller Maggies will most likely need a sub (or two) to fit your needs.

I don't have enough experience with the Tekton's to contribute any valid opinion of them.

Happy Hunting!!!

Hi all,

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

SixCats!

Game over for me. ZU Dirty Weekends present such a ridiculous value at $999! I am on my second pair of DW's with the clarity cap upgrade! That's how much I like them. I was initially going to put my other pair of DW's in my living room system but figured I would never be doing any real listening in there so I just sold them. Shipped them out Monday and he got them yesterday. He replaced some B&W's. His exact words...." These speakers are incredible, they simply blow away my B&W's, I am hearing things in music that I know that I have never heard before. He keeps texting me about them. I guess he is happy. :)
I have owned a lot of speakers over the past 5 year journey. And I can tell you this, my journey has come to an end with the ZU's. I owned the M-Lore and Pendragon. I like the ZU's more.

Hi savagtage,

I think I'm going to have to agree with you regarding the Maggies. I've entertained the idea of buying Magneplaners howeverI'm thinking Maggies are not right for me (at this time).
Of late, I've been heading down that road called "SET" so, the Maggies are out. I must say, I am very much enjoying my Fisher 400 (25 Watts per channel) Tube Receiver and the Polk 10 Monitors however, I've got the Bug to try BRAND NEW (Speaker wise). I've been thinking that perhaps maybe I should purchase a pair of SUPER sensitive Horns (i.e. Klipsch Cornwalls, Chorus, etc.) for use with an SET Amp however, it would be some distant time in the future before I would even purchase a Stereo SET Amp for use with Horns. Heck, presently, I VERY VERY much enjoying listening to my Mono 2A3 SET 3 Watts Amp (with my new ONKYO 7030 CD Player connected directly to the Amp) and my (Charles Eames designed) Stephens Tru-Sonic Horn.

Stephens.jpg

index.php

My main concern would be NOT being able to first hear the likes of Tekton or ZU Speakers......AND......would either of these Speakers be a true improvement

over my Polk 10 (Series ll) Monitors ?

SixCats!

Hello there,

I have found myself in a very similar boat - currently on B&W Monitor Speakers, and looking to upgrade to either Maggies (MGGi), Zu Audio DW or Tekton Lore Reference, seeing all of these are near the same price range. While the MGGi's look gorgeous, I do not want to add a sub-woofer into the system and I feel they will be lacking the lower range that I like on bass-heavy tracks like music from the band Yes.

I like the look of the Zu DW's more (and the finishes), good enough to not use a grill, while the Tekton Lore Reference would come out a bit cheaper overall. Also worth noting is that currently I'm using a SS amp (100W/channel) as opposed to a tube amp. Please do let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I'm leaning to going with the Zu DW's in April/May if by then I don't decide on a different alternative. I wish the Arx A5 was better available, it seems a good alternative to the already mentioned models.

If you like bass heavy music but don't want to add a subwoofer, either the Lore Reference or ZU DW is a great choice. They both have plenty of bass. But the cleaner, tighter more accurate bass is the ZU. I have dual subwoofers and sometimes I have to check if they are on or off. The fit and finish is a lot nicer on the ZU's too. I always felt Tektons fit and finish was pretty generic and for lack of a better word, cheap. Even the Pendragon's that are huge towers weren't that heavy and didn't feel solid. This isn't a knock against Tekton because their speakers are amazing! And obviously they nailed it where it counts, sound. But the ZU's are the COMPLETE package. I just sit there and look at my ZU's sometimes because they are so pretty. And then I play music and am like..... yes......:)

And I don't want to sound like a snob , especially because I have never heard an Arx A5, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Tekton and ZU are in another class. The ZU's are $2000 speakers being sold for $1000. But keep it on the dl and don't tell Sean at ZU. LOL :)

Last edited:
Hi savagtage,

I think I'm going to have to agree with you regarding the Maggies. I've entertained the idea of buying Magneplaners howeverI'm thinking Maggies are not right for me (at this time).
Of late, I've been heading down that road called "SET" so, the Maggies are out. I must say, I am very much enjoying my Fisher 400 (25 Watts per channel) Tube Receiver and the Polk 10 Monitors however, I've got the Bug to try BRAND NEW (Speaker wise). I've been thinking that perhaps maybe I should purchase a pair of SUPER sensitive Horns (i.e. Klipsch Cornwalls, Chorus, etc.) for use with an SET Amp however, it would be some distant time in the future before I would even purchase a Stereo SET Amp for use with Horns. Heck, presently, I VERY VERY much enjoying listening to my Mono 2A3 SET 3 Watts Amp (with my new ONKYO 7030 CD Player connected directly to the Amp) and my (Charles Eames designed) Stephens Tru-Sonic Horn.

Stephens.jpg

index.php

My main concern would be NOT being able to first hear the likes of Tekton or ZU Speakers......AND......would either of these Speakers be a true improvement

over my Polk 10 (Series ll) Monitors ?

SixCats!

SixCats,

DON'T be concerned. Seriously. I have never heard your Polk 10's so I can't comment on if it would be an improvement. I can only say that both ZU and Tekton make GREAT sounding speakers. And on top of that, if you are going to power them with a SET amp, well the decision to me is a no brainer. Both LOVE SET amps and sound wonderful. I was powering my Pendragons with a 2watt per channel Decware SE84 UFO. They sounded spectacular.
And both companies offer like a 45 or 60 day in home trial. If you don't like, send them back. But I can guarantee you that you won't send back either speaker.

On another note... How do you like that Onkyo C-7030? It's on my next to purchase list. What sucks though, is I have read that the newer 7030's went to an AKM DAC instead of the coveted Wolfson. So now it's a crap shoot on purchasing one. I might get the AKM, I might get the Wolfson.

I too have gone through the speaker merry go round over the past 5 years and that ride has come to an abrupt end. I have owned two different pairs of Tektons, the M-Lore and the Pendragons. The only reason I sold the Pendragons is they got damaged in a move. Cosmetically only but still couldn't live with it. And I will tell you this, I was going to go back to Tekton's out of all the other speakers until I switched Utah high efficiency speaker camps and when the ZU Audio route. And I know you asked about Tektons but I am only suggesting ZU because they are a similar speaker and similar philosophy to Tektons. I got a pair of the ZU Audio Omen DIrty Weekends and they are ridiculously great! I love them!

https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-2

They only do a limited run on them a few times per year, so you have to get them ordered during that time. Which should be very soon. If you decide to go the Tekton route, you WON'T have any regrets. They are a great speaker and can be powered by pretty much anything. I powered both pairs of Tektons with a 2watt per channel set amp. Even if the 98db rating is a little over optimistic, they are still a hell of a lot more efficient than anything else out there.

I just noticed that I posted something similar back in June that I posted today. Guess 7 months later my feelings are exactly the same. That says something about a speaker. I am usually bored by now. LOL :)

Back
Top Bottom