Tekton Owners Thread

Some of the finest full range drivers use whizzer cones. Here's a pair of Freastrex D9e III that sell for $69,000. All Lowthers use them as well.

674.jpg

Thank you and others for responding to my query. I don't mean to distract others in this thread so I'll post and then leave it at that.

When you look at the driver industry, not too many people employ the whizzer cone. I'm talking Peerless, Seas, Scan Speak, Morel, Accuton, Eton, and others. It seems to have a small niche place still in the market place of drivers, but I haven't seen such a driver in ANY speaker manufacturer until I saw the Tekton Lore, which is why it stood out for me. I know that the sound of a speaker is the bottom line, but I find that I could never buy a pair of home speakers that have this. Just too cheesy and ugly for my taste. YMMV.

I was asking, though, to see if Tekton had some specific reason why they wanted a wizzer cone in their speakers. It seems that if they had a reason, they are keeping it to themselves.

Last edited:
For those of you with Pendragon's, do you run them full range or cross them over? Especially with home theater use and using a subwoofer.
For HT I run my Pens full range and then cross the subs at 40 Hz. I feel like it all blends very nicely.

For two-channel listening I typically run the Pens full range w/out subs, but for certain genres or depending on my mood I'll throw the subs in for a little extra bass :D

Thank you and others for responding to my query. I don't mean to distract others in this thread so I'll post and then leave it at that.

When you look at the driver industry, not too many people employ the whizzer cone. I'm talking Peerless, Seas, Scan Speak, Morel, Accuton, Eton, and others. It seems to have a small niche place still in the market place of drivers, but I haven't seen such a driver in ANY speaker manufacturer until I saw the Tekton Lore, which is why it stood out for me. I know that the sound of a speaker is the bottom line, but I find that I could never buy a pair of home speakers that have this. Just too cheesy and ugly for my taste. YMMV.

I was asking, though, to see if Tekton had some specific reason why they wanted a wizzer cone in their speakers. It seems that if they had a reason, they are keeping it to themselves.

Tektons and Zu speakers use wide band drivers and wide band drivers commonly use whizzer cones. If done right whizzer cone speakers can be amazing. Here's the Seas Exotic which Madisound sells for $830 each.

e_seas_exotic_loudspeaker_fullrange_f8_x1-04.jpg

Last edited:
That will be one heck of a set up! You will love it. I was running my Pendragons off of the 2 watt set amp, the SE 84UFO Super Zen with an Oppo UDP-203 and it was magical. However I have moved on from my little Super Zen and went to a 5.1 system soon to be a Dolby Atmos system so went with a little more power. I miss the Decware though.

I decided against the Oppo and opted for the Decware ZCD-240, but as luck would have it is now discontinued.
The Decware ZCD-240 was a modified Tascam CD-240 but since the Decware is no longer available, I was able to find the Tascam on eBay and will order the Decware ZBIT to couple with. According to Steve Deckert, that combination with be better than the Oppo UDP-205.

Do you have any Decware in your system?

Could someone offer me your take on the Lore model? I heard of the Tekton on another thread and was clicking around on the Tekton site when I saw the Lores. The woofer has a wizzer cone. My only experience is that wizzer cones are the absolute worst attempt at highs, and to see a modern speaker with one, let alone for a grand, makes me scratch my head.

I believe the offending frequency's are delegated to the dome tweeter. I have lore's and they are AMAZING, in some ways better than the DI's.

The other thing that cautions me about the brand in general, is that Tekton almost never gives the frequency range with decibel variance. For instance, normally you'll see the frequency response spec as: 30 Hz - 30 Khz +-1 db, but Tekton doesn't provide this. Therefore, you don't know how far from a flat frequency response a given Tekton speaker is. The one single such spec I can find is on Stereophile's review of the Enzo XL. Stereophile gives the frequency response graph for this model and the response varies by about 6 decibels plus AND minus. So it leads one to conclude that the Tekton speakers are not designed with flat frequency response in mind. I prefer my speakers to not add or take anything away from the music.

The other thing that cautions me about the brand in general, is that Tekton almost never gives the frequency range with decibel variance. For instance, normally you'll see the frequency response spec as: 30 Hz - 30 Khz +-1 db, but Tekton doesn't provide this. Therefore, you don't know how far from a flat frequency response a given Tekton speaker is. The one single such spec I can find is on Stereophile's review of the Enzo XL. Stereophile gives the frequency response graph for this model and the response varies by about 6 decibels plus AND minus. So it leads one to conclude that the Tekton speakers are not designed with flat frequency response in mind. I prefer my speakers to not add or take anything away from the music.

With all due respect, I suggest that you don't purchase Tekton speakers as you seem to have made up your mind about them. There are plenty of speaker choices so purchase the ones that you feel confident about.

-Dave

For HT I run my Pens full range and then cross the subs at 40 Hz. I feel like it all blends very nicely.

For two-channel listening I typically run the Pens full range w/out subs, but for certain genres or depending on my mood I'll throw the subs in for a little extra bass :D

How do you like the Pioneer's as surrounds? Do they blend well with the Pens? I too am running an Integra, it's the 50.3 and I really like the match with the Pens.

I decided against the Oppo and opted for the Decware ZCD-240, but as luck would have it is now discontinued.
The Decware ZCD-240 was a modified Tascam CD-240 but since the Decware is no longer available, I was able to find the Tascam on eBay and will order the Decware ZBIT to couple with. According to Steve Deckert, that combination with be better than the Oppo UDP-205.

Do you have any Decware in your system?

No longer any Decware in my system. So there is no longer a Decware cd player nor a Tascam that can be bought brand new? I want to implement a really good cd player into my system and quite possibly a dedicated 2 channel amp again.

No longer any Decware in my system. So there is no longer a Decware cd player nor a Tascam that can be bought brand new? I want to implement a really good cd player into my system and quite possibly a dedicated 2 channel amp again.

The Decware ZCD240 is now discontinued. As for the Tascam CD-240, i was able to find ONE on ebay, so i pounced on it. Then i got an email yesterday that it was heavily damaged while being shipped from their warehouse, so now i am back to square one needing to find a quality cd player with analog outputs that will stream music from Pandora / Tidal. Having a cd player is not a MUST have, so i can live without it, but i do need the music streamer (with analog output), ideally one that i can stream from ipad/iphone.

If you or anyone has a suggestion, i will very much appreciate it.

So the Seas Pens handle Tatanka with ease? His stuff can be brutal on a lot of equipment and speakers.

I haven't been using the woofer much lately..
And I just discovered Tatanka , this might be the first time listening to Tatanka with the sub..Big difference..
I played the whole album , loud enough that I know the neighbors could hear.. ( I feel bad but , you know every once in awhile!! The music takes control of the volume )..

I don't believe any part of my system was at Risk of failure..
The Dragons , I can not believe the stage they throw sometimes..
The sub volume only 1/3 up and easily shaking my sweet spot ...
I got up after about a hour and put my hand on the amp ( almost no heat at all ) I don't know how Klaus does it...

Last edited:
With all due respect, I suggest that you don't purchase Tekton speakers as you seem to have made up your mind about them. There are plenty of speaker choices so purchase the ones that you feel confident about.

-Dave

Thanks for that, Dave. You sound like s salesperson, or at least someone who can read people. I think I might be willing to select one of Tekton's small speaker sets for a second system, but I'd want to get some idea of what the frequency response looks like. My ears can start ringing with bright speakers, so I try to avoid those.

Thanks for that, Dave. You sound like s salesperson, or at least someone who can read people. I think I might be willing to select one of Tekton's small speaker sets for a second system, but I'd want to get some idea of what the frequency response looks like. My ears can start ringing with bright speakers, so I try to avoid those.

Nope, not a salesperson. You have doubts/questions about Tektons speakers so are looking for affirmations/answers which is perfectly understandable given the fact that there is no easy way to do an audition. Since this is a Tekton owners thread you're probably going to hear more positive remarks than negative. I will say this about Tekton speakers: I too wish that the published specifications were more clearly defined. I also find that the almost constant introduction of new models is a bit over the top. I think that Eric is muddying the water and diluting his brand. Of course this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

As far as bright speakers go, I hear you. Bright speakers bother my ears as well. I don't find my Lore's to be particularly bright.

In any case, I hope I didn't come across as sounding snarky in my previous post.

-Dave

I am sure if you give Eric a call he would be happy to elaborate on frequency response. Also maybe someone in your area will give you a demo? Tekton owners are all over the place. I also don't care for shrill overly bright speakers, I can report that the lores and double impacts are well balanced.

Back
Top Bottom