Tekton Owners Thread

Later this month I am expecting my first new pair of speakers in 40 years. DI's with the upgrade package.
Not too worried if the sensitivity is over-rated as the amp has plenty of power.

Later this month I am expecting my first new pair of speakers in 40 years. DI's with the upgrade package.
Not too worried if the sensitivity is over-rated as the amp has plenty of power.

More details!:thumbsup: What speakers do you have now? What gear are you going to be powering them with?

More details

I'm using Boston Acoustics A400's now which I picked up used needing surrounds about 10 years ago. Listening to them now and absolutely love them.
Amp is a McIntosh MC452 and pre is a C47.
This time last year I had all vintage gear, and about $1500 in everything, two turntables, carts, Nak CR7 rebuilt and updated by Perry, Onkyo C-7030 CD player. Needless to say I went off the deep end. But it does sound great and no regrets.

I was told the Tekton Double Impacts needed some time to break in, so I wanted to get some time on them before I did an evaluation. While I have to confess not to be experienced in reviewing audio gear I am truly impressed with these. Vocals are as realistic as any speaker I have heard. Drums feel like they are in the room. When the music gets busy and there is a lot going on, it's easier to keep instruments separated. There is not much "laid back" about them, their presence is huge, while still not being fatiguing. I was concerned about the bass being overwhelming because some reviewers said they need to be farther from the wall than I have room for, but not the case. Just perfect for my ears, and my tastes lean away from those who want the walls to shake. I like it just as the engineer wanted it. I'm having a lot of fun revisiting favorite albums. My system has come a long way over the last year. The DI's are the finishing touch, I'm done except for buying music and possibly another cartridge.
If you are in the Washington DC area and are considering buying a pair feel free to PM me for an audition.

Last edited:
I was told the Tekton Double Impacts needed some time to break in, so I wanted to get some time on them before I did an evaluation. While I have to confess not to be experienced in reviewing audio gear I am truly impressed with these. Vocals are as realistic as any speaker I have heard. Drums feel like they are in the room. When the music gets busy and there is a lot going on, it's easier to keep instruments separated. There is not much "laid back" about them, there presence is huge, while still not being fatiguing. I was concerned about the bass being overwhelming because some reviewers said they need to be farther from the wall than I have room for, but not the case. Just perfect for my ears, and my tastes lean away from those who want the walls to shake. I like it just as the engineer wanted it. I'm having a lot of fun revisiting favorite albums. My system has come a long way over the last year. The DI's are the finishing touch, I'm done except for buying music and possibly another cartridge.
If you are in the Washington DC area and are considering buying a pair feel free to PM me for an audition.

Nice review! How do electric bass guitar and double bass sound? Great tone and texture from bass instruments is one of the strengths of my Lores. I would think that trait is a constant across their speaker line.

-Dave

electric bass guitar and double bass

Can't say I've intentionally played any stand-up bass records, although some Johnny Cash sounded so good I went looking for more of his stuff to buy. The website says the speakers are flat within 1 db across most of their range, so I think that tells me nothing is enhanced or missing. One funny thing I did shortly after hooking them up, was I thought maybe my turntables were running slow, because everything was so much more defined. The details in the music I was missing before must of been due to the music being in slow motion. :crazy:

Damn, wished I lived in the DC area. I'm still waiting for someone to get Double Impacts in Southern California, so I get the chance to hear them.

I sold my Lores a year ago, and kind of miss them. I have high-end bookshelf speakers which are amazing, but lack the depth and soundstage of large towers.

Signed up today for a pair of Impacts, not double impacts, but Impacts. In a 12 X 16 room, I'm not sure the extra cost for DIs is justified. I did spring for the upgrades.
Even best case, I won't be seeing the new speakers for a week. These will be replacing upgraded Vandersteen 2CIs. I hope I'm not making a lateral move. We'll see.....

I think you will be surprised at the depth of the sound stage even in a smaller room.
You will have to experiment with placing but wait until they have about 100 hours on them first.
They take a while to settle in.
I have the Enzo XLs in a 15' x 16' room and they sound amazing.

Last edited:
Appreciate that tip. I have a pair of Lore S & those took well over 50 hours to settle in. They really sounded like crap out of the box.... they sound great now. We were listening to them tonight. If I can get the Lore S crispness & definition with a more robust & full bottom end........ now, wouldn't that be nice. Eric did say to ensure the Impacts were perfectly level to get the best imaging & soundstage.

Appreciate that tip. I have a pair of Lore S & those took well over 50 hours to settle in. They really sounded like crap out of the box.... they sound great now. We were listening to them tonight. If I can get the Lore S crispness & definition with a more robust & full bottom end........ now, wouldn't that be nice. Eric did say to ensure the Impacts were perfectly level to get the best imaging & soundstage.

Shipped today. ETA Monday. I feel that Tuesday would be a good day to take off.

I'm torn between "some" pair of Tekton and DIY, with the latter happening sooner. But a question; if Tektons sound so bad out of the box, why doesn't Tekton burn in their drivers before assembly? Or do a burn in of say, 48-96 hours, before shipping?

I'm torn between "some" pair of Tekton and DIY, with the latter happening sooner. But a question; if Tektons sound so bad out of the box, why doesn't Tekton burn in their drivers before assembly? Or do a burn in of say, 48-96 hours, before shipping?

What DIY speakers are you considering?

They are a small company and I am sure they do not have the time to do that.
Eric can't keep up with the demand as it is and trying to pre-burn hundreds of speakers just isn't in the picture.
I am not aware of any company that does that.

Some of it sounds like BS to me. I can understand "burn in" in for speakers; give the the various parts time to settle in. Kind of lost me with the parentheticals, though: "(including cables)" and "(Wave Mechanics or Quantum -- both seem to get you there in this case)." But, hey, I'm skeptical by nature.

Not sure I like the term "burn in." Far as I can tell nothing is actually burning, at least with respect to speakers. Maybe a different story for tubes in an amp.

Back
Top Bottom