Tekton Owners Thread

Will also play as loud as you could possibly want, that's for sure! Yes, we built F5 about the same time.

I also have stuffed Aleph J boards, just BA3, F6, and M2 jumped in front! I will get that one done one of these days.

Russellc

First post! There are some seriously nice speakers in this thread!

I became interested in Tektons when I couldn't seem to find the sound I was looking for. I love the big, tight sound of my 1980s Pioneers (3 way w/ 10" woofers) but I wanted an upgrade in imaging, build quality, design & aesthetic. I bought or borrowed Pioneer BS22, B&W 303, B&W 602.5 S3, Epos Elan 10, JBL LS80, JBL Studio 530. They all sounded like slight variations of each other with the same overall sound (save for the JBL Studio 530, those were something special). Then I found Tektons and loved the way everyone described the sound.

After some research I decided to try the Lore S. So far these things are impressing me in ways that those others fell short. They also look nicer in person than any of the pictures let on and are a perfect size. After having these I am curious to hear a set of the more classic Tektons.

The room and setup is temporary-
image by ninjasphotos, on Flickr

Still waiting on grills! Have had DIs for 3 weeks and they sound great and are getting better every day especially on the bottom end.

I've had mine for 2 1/2 weeks. Eric said it would be a week or two before they ship. No big deal. I just have to go through a ritual of putting my old Polk 70's in front of the DI's when not listening -- I don't trust my daughters cat after she pulled the grill off of one my vintage Polk 7B's. I think Eric does his grills in batches according to demand.
Mine are filling in quite nicely as I have probably 80 hrs or so on them. I was looking for that deep tight bass when I received them. I was only getting it when I cranked them up. Now, it is filling in quite nicely like yours appear to be, Bruce. Still tweaking the placement as my listening room is a geodesic dome. I recently purchased a high rez file of Chicago II (Steven Wilson Remaster). Man, this recording really brings out the strengths of the DI's. Great horns and flutes just hang in mid-air along with the vocals. Great bass, too. Imaging extends beyond the speakers on some songs.

I've been waiting for mine for a couple of months. I got the dragons, but the size should be pretty close. Not a big deal because they are not playing music :naughty:

Anyway, last week I asked Eric when I can expect them and he said he will ship them out shortly. My guess is that they are done in batches so we should all get them soon.

I think I got lucky because I picked mine up from him... when I arrived at the end of the day he was still finishing them up. I think he'd rather not have to mess with grilles, but obviously the customers want them.

First post! There are some seriously nice speakers in this thread!

I became interested in Tektons when I couldn't seem to find the sound I was looking for. I love the big, tight sound of my 1980s Pioneers (3 way w/ 10" woofers) but I wanted an upgrade in imaging, build quality, design & aesthetic. I bought or borrowed Pioneer BS22, B&W 303, B&W 602.5 S3, Epos Elan 10, JBL LS80, JBL Studio 530. They all sounded like slight variations of each other with the same overall sound (save for the JBL Studio 530, those were something special). Then I found Tektons and loved the way everyone described the sound.

After some research I decided to try the Lore S. So far these things are impressing me in ways that those others fell short. They also look nicer in person than any of the pictures let on and are a perfect size. After having these I am curious to hear a set of the more classic Tektons.

The room and setup is temporary-
image by ninjasphotos, on Flickr

Those look great! Do they have a slanted top? It looks like that from the photo. I have the Lore Reference which are similar to yours, but mine are in boring satin black, what is that laminate?

Those look great! Do they have a slanted top? It looks like that from the photo. I have the Lore Reference which are similar to yours, but mine are in boring satin black, what is that laminate?

No slanted top, just the picture angle (although that would be cool!). They are the cherry wood veneer which looks absolutely beautiful in person and offsets the black & silver SEAS drivers nicely.

I am also digging some of the dark red paint colours I've seen on a few different Tekton speakers. That was my second choice.

Dylster, if my Cerious cables get here soon enough I'll a/b them. There are forums where many are replacing very high end, big name cables with Cerious cables. That doesn't mean they will be what I'm looking for but I don't like the slight harsh edge I'm getting now and I'm quite confident based on the testimonials from those using them that they'll most likely give me the sound I want. If not, they come with a 30 day return policy. Over 250 speaker cables sold, only 3 returned. I like those odds.
Those odds sound pretty good to me....gonna take a peek...Tks Mac...

I've had mine for 2 1/2 weeks. Eric said it would be a week or two before they ship. No big deal. I just have to go through a ritual of putting my old Polk 70's in front of the DI's when not listening -- I don't trust my daughters cat after she pulled the grill off of one my vintage Polk 7B's. I think Eric does his grills in batches according to demand.
Mine are filling in quite nicely as I have probably 80 hrs or so on them. I was looking for that deep tight bass when I received them. I was only getting it when I cranked them up. Now, it is filling in quite nicely like yours appear to be, Bruce. Still tweaking the placement as my listening room is a geodesic dome. I recently purchased a high rez file of Chicago II (Steven Wilson Remaster). Man, this recording really brings out the strengths of the DI's. Great horns and flutes just hang in mid-air along with the vocals. Great bass, too. Imaging extends beyond the speakers on some songs.
While waiting for the grills, I'm using a couple of fireplace screens that cover the front 3' from critters. Seems to work well, but may not be stable enough for a child.

Next set is DI. Love the Pens so much. The brilliance on the other hand doesn't have sparkle more mellow but kick ass bass and midrange. Only have 5 hours on the brilliance. So my hopes they will brighten up in time
Interesting, you're one of the only owners of the Brilliance, on this site, to give your personal point of view. Let us know what you think after a few weeks. Thx!

Question for Pendragon owners:

Do you feel that each tweeter is playing the same frequency? Can you hear each one individually if you listen with your ear up close?

I recently acquired a used pair of Pendragons and was surprised that the highs seemed recessed. I increased the treble by 7 db on the preamp and it sounds good now but not sure if something is still missing. If I put my ear up to each tweeter, it appears that the top tweeter is not making any sound, the middle one is the loudest, and the bottom one is quieter. Not sure if its supposed to be that way, if I'm just imagining things, or if the top tweeter on each speaker is blown somehow?

Is it possible to test each tweeter by taking it out but not desoldering it from wiring?

Question for Pendragon owners:

Do you feel that each tweeter is playing the same frequency? Can you hear each one individually if you listen with your ear up close?

I recently acquired a used pair of Pendragons and was surprised that the highs seemed recessed. I increased the treble by 7 db on the preamp and it sounds good now but not sure if something is still missing. If I put my ear up to each tweeter, it appears that the top tweeter is not making any sound, the middle one is the loudest, and the bottom one is quieter. Not sure if its supposed to be that way, if I'm just imagining things, or if the top tweeter on each speaker is blown somehow?

Is it possible to test each tweeter by taking it out but not desoldering it from wiring?

I would call Eric. He can give you an idea of what is going on. I personally haven't listened to each tweeter individually, but from what others have said they do play different frequencies from each.

I have seen some people (online) who had a tweeter fail. I believe Eric has sent them replacements. When I spoke with him at his shop he mentioned that these speakers are not "party" speakers. He said that if listening at high volumes it was best to listen to a song or two and then give the speakers a short rest to allow the voice coil in the tweeters to cool off a little. Apparently the voice coil on the tweeters is very thin and can overheat if driven too hard for too long (duh). He didn't elaborate, but I would assume that he has seen a few fail judging by the advice he gave me. He did add that in home theater use the breaks aren't needed because movies naturally have a "cool-off" period moving from scene to scene.

I did call him earlier today and while it was hard to hear him over the sound of speakers being made, he told me that the tweeters do indeed play at different levels and/or frequencies and assured me that mine are fine.

Previous owner of my Pendragons had them in a dedicated home theater space and said he did not run them hard.

Still, would appreciate it if somebody could do this quick test - play some music and put your ear up to the tweeters, see if you can hear anything from the top tweeter.

Has anybody noticed the stands that the double impacts are sitting on in the new blog or professional review by Terry London. They seem to swivel. I wonder where they come from and who makes them.

I did call him earlier today and while it was hard to hear him over the sound of speakers being made, he told me that the tweeters do indeed play at different levels and/or frequencies and assured me that mine are fine.

Previous owner of my Pendragons had them in a dedicated home theater space and said he did not run them hard.

Still, would appreciate it if somebody could do this quick test - play some music and put your ear up to the tweeters, see if you can hear anything from the top tweeter.

I own a pair of dragons and can confirm that the sound is coming out of all 3 tweeters. When I put my ear next to each, the middle one plays the highest frequencies while the other two are operating more in the mid-range of the tonal spectrum. The top one sounds like the true mid-range speaker, while the bottom one is a bit lower.

My Lore S are in the black satin also. That cherry looks really sharp. In order to get the speakers to shoot at ear level, I have them tilted also. Some threaded bolts where the spikes belong. I was too cheap - should have sprung for the veneer.

Back
Top Bottom