Tell me about your Turntables..!!

Delta77

I’m New to the Turntable game ..
Can I get a picture of your current TT setup..??
And a brief comment on your TT path of experience..!!

Turntables:
Garrard 30
Garrard AT6(?)
Pioneer PL12D
FONS CQ30
Sansui 222 (DJ use)
Pioneer 512 (DJ use)
Currently use just the FONS, with SME 3009 II improved with detachable headshell and Grace F9e cart.
Got away from Idler drives to belt drives.
Need to get the Sansui fixed as it has a nice arm.
The Garrards are long gone. So is the Pioneer PL12D.
Pioneer 512 is still kicking, but I'm not a fan of the arm.

+1 wrt to Denon. I consider myself fortunate to have come across a nice DP80. Here it is sat next to my Dual 721, another engineering tour de force. Both came following a brief dalliance with an established BD brand. The BD was OK, but not stellar as with either of these classics.

denon&dual.JPG

I started out with a Technics Sl 1610 that was in decent shape and performed perfectly. That got me started on my reintroduction to vinyl. Next a Yamaha yp-d6 which I still have. Then a Thorens TD-160 and adding a TD-147 soon.
The Thorens has been fun to mod and tweak. So much so that I got the TD 147 to have as my turntable with auto-return. The Japanese direct drives from the 70's are great starter TT's and I still like the Yamaha and the Technics. They are super easy to set up and other than cleaning the pots for speed stability I have had no maintenance needs for either. I gave the Technics to a friend and the Yamaha will eventually be replaced by the Thorens TD 147. I also have a Yamaha yp-71 that is a belt drive with a suspended deck like the the Thorens. I like the looks of the old yamaha tt's and I found the yp-71 in mint condition with the original box etc. Not sure what I will do with that one yet. Probably a 2nd system.

The Thorens decks require more adjustments to get set up correctly but they are well worth the effort imo. Also fun to work on if you enjoy tinkering with equipment. They are really built to last.
Good luck! I have had a blast with it over the last 7-8 years.

Attachments

• basement.jpg
    basement.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 89
+1 wrt to Denon. I consider myself fortunate to have come across a nice DP80. Here it is sat next to my Dual 721, another engineering tour de force. Both came following a brief dalliance with an established BD brand. The BD was OK, but not stellar as with either of these classics.

View attachment 1290713
That Denon is sweet looking turntable. How do you like it?

It's pretty impressive for a starter TT! Your system looks great! Basement man cave?
Yes. Glad it was too small for a pool table. I set up the stereo and never turned back. Love it and so does the wife!

Actually was where a good friend grew up and we used to crank music there when we were in high school. Big sentimental value.

Ooh boy! This should turn into quite a fun thread. Be sure to check this out too: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-tts-do-you-folks-have.108/

My experience - I've had around 50 turntables. I think I'm down to 8. I started with a Sony linear tracking table w/ a cheap AT cartridge which wasn't bad at all, but my first real quality turntable was an AR-XA with a Shure M75ED cartridge - still have it, tucked away in my console. I love it. It's similar in many ways to the Thorens TD166mkII I've been using, also a great table.

I also really like my Luxman PD121, with a Grace 707 tone arm and Grado cartridge.

dEBzTe8l.jpg

And I also have special feelings for my Acoustic Research The Turntable with an original Sumiko Blue Point cartridge.

l99tJtXl.jpg

Lots of honorable mentions you could look up, that I also have or had, such as the Dual 1019, Garrard Lab 80, and Lenco L75 / B55. Along the way, Technics tables have always surprised me, even the lower end models have been excellent, for example the SL-D2 (edit: as I see was already posted above!).

This is a deep rabbit hole you're diving into, have fun!

Last edited:
So many, but currently spinning some Kenny DD's, others in the stable include Thorens, AR, Mitsubishi, etc.

These big Kenwood decks really sound nice, and they're not bad on the eyes either. If patient these can still be had for around $350 and the KD500 often has a boutique arm worth more than the price of admission. Again, patience and due diligence communicating with the seller is a must.

Kenwood KD770D
This table looks black but it's actually dark Mahogany woodgrain.

20171025_182903.jpg

Kenwood KD500 / Grace G707 arm / Grace F8-L10' anniversary cartridge
Concrete resin composite base, TOTL Kenwood table in its day.

20170904_152614.jpg

Nothing Special. A Music Hall mmf 2.1 with a Grado Gold cartridge. Bought it in ~2005 new. Been saying for over 10 years that I’m going to upgrade it but it never happens. Might replace it with something new such as the Rega PL3 have not seen any TT pop up on local craigslist other than a Pro Ject for $5k

IMG_0591.jpg IMG_0590.jpg IMG_0588.jpg

Currently using a Pioneer PL-530:
IMGP1028.JPG
My first TT was a Pioneer PL-112D bought new around 1976. I don't know what happened to it, one of my sons had it for awhile.
Got interested in listening to my old LP's again about 5 years ago and decided to buy a new deck - AT-LP120USB. I learned that money, about $200, is better spent on a vintage deck. Went to a Kenwood KD-3070, which I still have. Then came across a Sony PS-4750, before finding the PL-530 at a yard sale.
Since then bought a Technics SL-QD33, but only for the cartridge; Realistic RXP3 (Shure M104e), and a Sanyo Plus Q25, also for the cartridge a Pickering XSV 3000.

My first "real" TT.
Pioneer PL-L1000

20170320_091434.jpg

Bought the unit new in 1980 while serving in the Navy. Changed out the headshell which supports an AT440mla body and AT150mlx stylus. Originally I replaced the supplied cart with an Audio Technica Precept 440...loved that unit. Recently found an unused NOS Precept 440 (long since discountinued) so that's in the collection again.

AT 440mla w-Orsonic headshell (2).JPG

Bought another PL-L1000 a year later for a family member and 10 years later he let it go....

To me ! :D

In my early 20’s I started with a Rabco ST7 turntable. I loved it. Time passes and I sell it and get out of Audio for many years. About 10 years ago started back in Audio. First turntable was a Pro-Jet Debut III that I bought from a local dealer and had them fully service and check it before taking it home. It was a great table. Graduated to a Music Hall 7.1 from that same dealer. Then to a Music Hall 9.1. Ultimately put the new 9.3 motor on the table, making it effectively a 9.3. That table started with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. I now have the SoundSmith Aida cartridge on it. I have this table tuned up once a year by my dealer.
I also purchased a stock AR XA turntable about 2 years ago. I decided to do a full restore on this and had Marc Morin do his full level of mods on it. I also had Avfan make a new custom plinth. That table now has the Ortofon Black cartridge on it and I also have a Grado Sonata 1 cartridge that I swap out.
Both tables are amazing.

In my early 20’s I started with a Rabco ST7 turntable. I loved it. Time passes and I sell it and get out of Audio for many years. About 10 years ago started back in Audio. First turntable was a Pro-Jet Debut III that I bought from a local dealer and had them fully service and check it before taking it home. It was a great table. Graduated to a Music Hall 7.1 from that same dealer. Then to a Music Hall 9.1. Ultimately put the new 9.3 motor on the table, making it effectively a 9.3. That table started with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. I now have the SoundSmith Aida cartridge on it. I have this table tuned up once a year by my dealer.
I also purchased a stock AR XA turntable about 2 years ago. I decided to do a full restore on this and had Marc Morin do his full level of mods on it. I also had Avfan make a new custom plinth. That table now has the Ortofon Black cartridge on it and I also have a Grado Sonata 1 cartridge that I swap out.
Both tables are amazing.
Pictures or it didn't happen lol.

EDIT:
A day late and a dollar short I see lol.

Back
Top Bottom