Tell us about your avatar

This is my rescue named Lucy, a Lab Coon hound mix. She is my listening buddy and prefers Count Basie..... I snapped this after she decided to sit at the island counter and watch me cook.
lucy1a.jpg

Mine is cause I'm a really big fan of the Taz fan.
So I felt it was only right that I have him for my
avatar. So I created this for myself to use as my home screen, avatar and anywhere else I
can use it.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread here because it's a fun subject. I just changed mine to something easier to see, I hope, than my previous avatar. Plus it matches the 4 in my username. Yes, that unshaven mug is me. First one to name the album (without Google) has my permission to feel smug for a day.

Mine is my listening space... equipment list is
Emotiva pt 100 pre/a300 amp pioneer bdp-51f...the pioneer is a transport for the Emotiva set up. Hp notebook for tidal. In the middle marantz 1120 w/ wood console. Cheap Technics turtable. To the right is a pioneer Sx 950 on the bottom and Sx 650 on top. The pioneer is bdp is hooked to the 650 to play CDs. 650 is hooked up to the Mach IIs I bought new in 84 and the jbl studio 590s are hooked to the Emotiva stack. All this sitting on a 1885 nutting railroad cart I restored. It weighs at least 300#. 950 is eye candy only. Sent smoke signals a while back...tears
Oh can't forget my new strat with vintage sunburst finish.

Mark Twain, one of my favorite authors.

Other favorites include, but are not limited to:

Charles Dickens
Jack London
Edgar Allan Poe
Herman Wouk
John Steinbeck
William Faulkner
Tennessee Williams
Shakespeare
the biblical authors
J. R.. R. Tolkien
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
H G Wells
Alistair MacLean
Arthur Conan Doyle
Tom Clancy
John D MacDonald
Douglas Adams
Ray Bradbury
John Grisham
Agatha Christie

My avatar is my favorite motorcycle, which I owned back in the 1970s, a 1943 BSA WM20, a 500cc iron single from WWII, which did its service in Egypt. I did a complete frame-off restoration over about 2 years (previous owner bobbed it), and rode it for several years after that. I miss it terribly emotionally, but my kidneys don't. It's a hard tail.

I remember this old thread, started in 2008 by @yungin's-dad - Ron. I remember @ the time thinking I's likely not stick to the same avatar so why bother posting as it would, w/ time be "lost". And so here we are, more than a decade later, and I still do have the same avatar I started out w/ @ AK in late spring, 2006.

Why this avatar? I must be a Yankees fan, lol.

Reading through the pages of this thread reminds me of the many, many members who have dropped off the radar @ AK over the last decade. A fun thread @ some levels, not so much @ others. I've missed a lot of those "old timers".

And so we press on...

-M

^^^^ P.S. I s'pose it's safe to post up @ this thread now, as, after more than 12 years, it's quite unlikely I'll ever change my avatar.

My Avatar is from an interesting article on Wikipedia about FM broadcasting and its advantages. It shows an experimental FM broadcast in 1940 and the superiority of FM radio over AM.

From the caption:
"FM has better rejection of static (RFI) than AM. This was shown in a dramatic demonstration by General Electric at its New York lab in 1940. The radio had both AM and FM receivers. With a million-volt arc as a source of interference behind it, the AM receiver produced only a roar of static, while the FM receiver clearly reproduced a music program from Armstrong's experimental FM transmitter in New Jersey."

Mine is part of my system. top left Bose EQ, Yamaha DSP-1 sound processor, Sony 6 disc CD changer/recorder. Under that Tandberg TCD-300, McIntosh C-28, McIntosh MR-73. On the right, Concord MK III R2R.DSC_0028.JPG

Back
Top Bottom