Tempted to take the plunge!

coolness

I have been a McIntosh admirer for a long while now. I have an excellent Adcom system (GTP-602 and GFA-5800 feeding my JBL XPL-160's). I am happy, but feel that there is a lot of noise, especially in the phono stage. I visited a local record store and was blown away (for the like millionth time) by the sound of the McIntosh gear being played. Older stuff, but just fantastic. It got me thinking again about making the change to a M system. I see many tempting local offers, both new and used.

For any who have made the change (@Zonker92) was it all you expected going from the Adcom setup to a McIntosh setup? Also, Integrated vs. Separates, what would you have done different.

I have the option to go with a great tube pre, with my 5800 and later (ie. next bonus check) upgrade the amp.

Thoughts???

I have done a direct comparison between an MC300 and a pair of GFA 565s and a direct comparison between an MC206 (in two channel) and a GFA 585. We used the same speakers (Martin Logan ESL), source (Oppo 95), and pre amp/processor (Onkyo SC5508 (?)). I strongly preferred the Mac amps but my friend liked the "extra" bass (my opinion!) of the GFAs. I heard a strident sound in the high end especially on female voice (Nora Jones of course), my friend listens almost exclusively to '70's progressive rock so it's all about the bass for him, he has multiple subs. When we plugged the Oppo directly into the amps, the difference was even more noticable, as soon as I heard it, I couldn't ignore it.

I think most of a stereo's "signature sound" comes from the pre amp/processor or whatever they're called these days. You may be on to something with that tube pre amp! I suppose the correct advice is to tell you to go listen to some amps.

Okay C48, and stick with my current Adcom amp, or go with a MA6900? That is the current contemplation. Thoughts...

A country boy who went to the big city and went to the audio store, and I was amazed by what I saw. The salesman leads me to a room that was all McIntosh. It was definitely out of my price range then, but I promised myself that one day I will own McIntosh. I am happy to report that I fulfilled my promise. Thanks to Audio Classics I am the proud owner of a MA6200.

It is a keeper and will remain in my system.

A country boy who went to the big city and went to the audio store, and I was amazed by what I saw. The salesman leads me to a room that was all McIntosh. It was definitely out of my price range then, but I promised myself that one day I will own McIntosh. I am happy to report that I fulfilled my promise. Thanks to Audio Classics I am the proud owner of a MA6200.

It is a keeper and will remain in my system.

Congratulations. Problem is they multiply like rabbits. At least in my house. Enjoy.

Once you are staring at those blue and green displays, you will wonder why you didn't do this year's ago.

Okay so I am looking at either an MA6900 or MA6600. I think integrated is the way to go for me. For my budget that seems like a good place to be. I like the 6900's EQ, but do also like that the 6600 has a tuner option as I do listen to local HD radio at times. Any thoughts there? Finally, if I were to keep my Adcom and go with a pre, say the C48, and the do the AMP later am I essentially picking up a D100 with it's on board DAC? Getting there...

Finally, if I were to keep my Adcom and go with a pre, say the C48, and the do the AMP later am I essentially picking up a D100 with it's on board DAC? Getting there...

Well the DAC in the c48 is not the D100 but it's also good. Personally I would shop for separates and your starting point should be a keeper preamp. The c48 give you a lot for the price and really I have never seen anyone complain about the unit. You can use it with your power amp for now and keep an eye out for a mac later after saving more money. I don't think many of us just jumped all at once building our mac systems, it's a big expense and takes time. The thing is you have to have goals and commitment as to what your end result will be.

If you shop wisely and buy used, you can pretty much get all your money back if you sell a mac unit. While it seems like a lot to buy in and getting started you really do have less risk over money spent if you want to try some other unit or direction. It's one of the nice things about mac over other brands.

Great advice. Thanks for taking the time. I am 100% in agreement about building over time. I really like the flexibility of separates. I will keep searching until the right unit presents itself. Thanks!!

Great advice. Thanks for taking the time. I am 100% in agreement about building over time. I really like the flexibility of separates. I will keep searching until the right unit presents itself. Thanks!!
I've done a little snooping on your pre and amplifier. Really, it looks like the 5800 is quite a competent amplifier indeed. It's rumored that Nelson Pass had something to do with its design, although I have no proof of that. The GTP-602 seems to be more of a run of the mill Adcom product.

Based on your first post, it would seem that you have the most to gain from upgrading the preamp. Personally, I'd consider the best McIntosh preamp that you can afford. Now, depending on whether or not the 5800 is a fully balanced design, you may also be able to unlock its full potential at the same time you upgrade the preamp by purchasing a fully balanced McIntosh preamp as well - C100, C200, C500, etc - and using the XLR connections between the two. You'll want to do a little digging here and read up on the 5800's design to know for sure. [Edit - according to the OM, the amp uses a single ended input section, so that answers that.]

As for the tuner, it would be prudent to keep the GTP-600 for the time being and use it as a tuner only (Tape Out to Tuner In on the Mc preamp). This allows you to focus on the weak spot - where you'll find the best return on your investment.

Last edited:
Great advice damacman! I owe you a call. I feel like a C48 would improve my sound big time! I have a couple of options there. Although in my budget here in town is a very tempting C50! Oh lord...

All,

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the input and advice. I have secured a very nice MA6600 with the included tuner setup and should be listening to it very soon. I want to particularly give thanks to my neighbor @damacman for taking time to talk with me the other night. With his input I felt much better about which McIntosh gear would be the best for me to start with! Thanks all!

All,

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the input and advice. I have secured a very nice MA6600 with the included tuner setup and should be listening to it very soon. I want to particularly give thanks to my neighbor @damacman for taking time to talk with me the other night. With his input I felt much better about which McIntosh gear would be the best for me to start with! Thanks all!
You're very welcome!

Back
Top Bottom