Tequila - blood of the Agave plant

Cigarman

A comparison.

Ok. Now that I have your attention, allow me to lighten your doldrums with a little playful sarcasm…. Let’s discuss tequila here. This is the right place for such diversions… suds and such?

The door to depravity in life is always slightly ajar they say. Some refuse to enter here after a short glance inside, others kick the door wide open never to emerge again. Unfortunately, I tend to be of the latter persuasion. The other evening my female companion of many years (as Tom Waits so eloquently postulated – “is it love, or just high-grade alcohol?”) suggested we vary the menu around my Casa and proposed a night of rum swillin’ (too many Blue agave derivatives I suppose, a taste that the people of Mexico blame for one of the highest birthrates in the world! Salud!!! ). A tequila haze had already claimed three people from our party. The room was being smothered with intellectual conversation, and I needed to make a change before things got really ugly. I had just returned from a rousing week at Lake Powell and I’m sure the Agave distillates were still monopolizing the blood count. Being the adventurous type, I agreed wholeheartedly. Neither a wise nor prudent move.

Out on the patio food was just being served,a meal whose aroma fills the house. Stuffed chiles (it was late August and chile harvest time here in New Mexico), carne asada, spicy guacamole, grilled green onions, handmade tortillas, nopales, beans, cheese, rice, salsa and posole (the house staple), chicharrones, chicken, quesadillas, gorditos, steak, and chuletas. Cigar smoke had already cast a dim haze about the room. Someone was on the phone ordering a mariachi band. Many had started dancing before the music arrived. We were in trouble. Tequila psychosis.

I walked away from the group punching stupidly at my smart phone to cancel the mariachi band and caught two young lovelies rummaging in my distillates repository. But my friend Donny’s sly smile grew as he commenced to open more bottles of tequila. We weren't out of the woods yet. At my ladies behest, the young things had started opening the rum.

I believe the difference lies mainly in constitution. Tequila is a vegetable product. Pure of earth. All natural. Mashed from pure Precambrian desert herb. Distant relative of the peyote button. Rum on the other hand – sugar. Of the sugar, by the sugar, for the sugar. As most of you know, sugar is not the body’s friend. Tequila enters the brain room as a well-dressed Mexican diplomat. Rum arrives like a well-armed band of destructive banditos. Tequila moves about the brain room with dignity, honor and purpose. Rum is bent only on destruction (no surprise it was a pirates brew). I believe tequila pauses only momentarily to greet the liver before moving on (my doctor might disagree with me here). Rum arrives at the liver with torches in hand and commences to burn everything in sight.

In the morning in the brain room, you find tequila has made the beds, done the dishes, and emptied the garbage, and left quietly. Rum is still there tearing holes in the wall, throwing up on the carpet, dry humping your La Scala II's and all of the plants are dead. Tequila usually travels with its other vegetable friend, the lime. Rum knows no one but sugar, a loner. Tequila is well spoken and knowledgeable. Rum is just flat rude. Trust me here.

But I have fully recovered once again; alas my woman is still sleeping a day later (latent rum disease). I wish I could encourage my good friend tequila to clean the living room and kitchen as well as it does the brain room. I have no time for this task. Think I’ll spin a few LP’s instead, new order from Acoustic Sounds needs my immediate attention.

Just thought I would pass on this little observation to the merry band of posters here at AudioKarma.org. Beware the rum crew. They mean you no good. Feel free to disagree……

Last edited:
Sorry, I have enough vices, no need to add tequila to the menu. I am fine with my current consumption of a couple of batches of margaritas during the summer. Tequila does a job on what is left of my grey matter.

big tequila fan here. As a matter of fact we are going to Los Muertos con Queso next week and I hope to procure some local distillates from Tulum.

That's an excellent description of tequila. Darn you, now I gotta peel myself off the couch and go get some.

I over indulged in some local in Arizona, over 40 years ago, and have not had a sip since. I must say it was a couple of wild days recovering though at 24 years old, I'm scared it might do me in at my current age!
Regards,
Jim

Ever tried Cabo Wabo tequila?

Anthony Dias Blue of Bon Appetit magazine named Cabo Wabo one of the "Top Three Tequilas in the World", and The Rolling Stones carried off more than 12 cases after their Hawaiian tour. (Do we need more endorsement than that?) Great Straight! (or not)

Sammy Hagar created this brain melting tequila while off-stage in Guadalajara and ultimately brought it back to serve at his nightclub, Cabo Wabo, in Cabo San Lucas, in Baja, Mexico. It's the genuine article, 100% weber blue agave, baked in wood-fired adobe ovens, fires said to be stoked by young nubile small breasted Mexican virgins, then double-pot distilled the old-fashioned way for a rich, soul-warming mind numbing groin tingling sinus clearing (pre–enlightenment) taste.

The Red Rocker's Reposado tequila has been barrel-aged in oak casks for 4 to 6 months. More aging means more flavor and a smoother style (this is also what I tell all of my lady friends about us old guys…… what’s the saying… ‘Personality is the booby prize for turning sixty’). The unique hand-blown Mexican blue glass bottles it is sold in are so cool they are hard to throw away as well, even when they are sans cactus juice. They make great candleholders for when you have lost your job/money/dignity (not necessarily in that order) and all earthly possessions have been sacrificed to the Agave Gods…… (man needs a little light, but too much light just makes your friends look scary).

We use Cabo Wabo around my den of iniquity to make Waborita Beetas - 1 oz fresh limejuice; 1 oz Cointreau; 2-4 oz Cabo Wabo; and Grand Marnier to taste (still made to the jealously-guarded original recipe created by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle, this blend of the essence of orange, cognac and sugar syrup gives birth to the noble amber liqueur that women just adore….). This is such a tasty Rita all others after this will pale in comparison. It cries for a good cigar to share time/space with. This is our Lake Powell Rita recipe ‘cuz it is a tequila drink befitting the ardor of that amazing lake. Course, those of you who have come to know me, won’t be surprised that we will drink most anything distilled that has been brought along at Lake Powell, as there is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation, and the serious smokin’ of stogies requires a strong liquid accompaniment. But then we are professional drinkers, and we believe we have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of us (it was a woman who first drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it).

As Mark Twain so eloquently stated about our predilection toward drink: "If you mean the demon drink that poisons the mind, pollutes the body, desecrates family life, and inflames sinners, then I'm against it. But if you mean the elixir of Christmas cheer, the shield against winter chill, the taxable potion that puts needed funds into public coffers to comfort little crippled children, then I'm all for it. This is my position, and I will not compromise it!"

I just love this guy….

There once was a young man named Perkins
Who was fond of Cabo Wabo de slurpin’s
One fine day he drank
Til his sorrows he sank
Which pickled his internal workin's.

Sammy Hagar

Back
Top Bottom