The agony of changing cables

I don`t chase cables, but can !!! :eek:+:yikes:= :crazy:

Bill, I could post a picture of my mess, but I don't want to imply that "mine's more jumbled than yours!" We guys tend to be too competitive most of the time. I'll just say, "I'll see your mess and raise you my snake pit!" :beerchug:

Dave

I won't show you guys mine. Its pretty anal since I build control enclosures for the Gov. Even before I downsized there where sticky backs and tyraps involved.

Bill, I could post a picture of my mess, but I don't want to imply that "mine's more jumbled than yours!" We guys tend to be too competitive most of the time. I'll just say, "I'll see your mess and raise you my snake pit!" :beerchug:

Dave
"I'll see your "Rat's Nest" and raise you my "Snake Pit". There I fixed it for you. Snake Pit, I like it.

I hear ya, but those two pics, only show a small portion of the cabling("snake farm") in the back of the rack, and the 21 Ethernet wall connections are not seen either !!
It`s on 8 castor wheels and can be rolled away from the wall for access, but I still have to have a very, very good reason to do so, being the rack & all the gear weigh around 600 + pounds..
WHAT!!!! There's MORE!!!

I hear ya, but those two pics, only show a small portion of the cabling("snake farm") in the back of the rack, and the 21 Ethernet wall connections are not seen either !!
It`s on 8 castor wheels and can be rolled away from the wall for access, but I still have to have a very, very good reason to do so, being the rack & all the gear weigh around 600 + pounds..

21 RJ45 (Ethernet) connections!?:yikes: What on earth do you do with that many in one place?:dunno:

Dave

Fair enough, Dave..
At first, in 1995 when I first set up that rack system, it was very neatly cabled, but I learned that doing so will be a waste of time, because shortly thereafter something/s will need to be pulled to be repaired, or upgraded/replaced, and taking the time to carefully redo, so will end up eating in to the time that should be used to enjoy system`s offerings..

And since my rack is pushed up against the wall at a angle to emulate/match the angle of my cornner fireplace`s angle to the left side of the living room, and to also allow access to my back of the rack mounted ripped music playing lap-top that is also running NWS Jacksonville, FL. weather radar(important to me in NE. FL.)that's fed into all 5 rooms flat screen TV`s with VGA inputs..

So 3/4`s of the rack`s "snake farm" is not viewable, and if a new person happens to look at that exposed portion, they usually quickly look away and complain that if they didn`t, that they were sure to get a headache, or ask do you(meaning me) know where all those wires go ?

No cable mess bragging rights intended..

Kind regards, OKB

21 RJ45 (Ethernet) connections!?:yikes: What on earth do you do with that many in one place?:dunno:
Well Joe, I`ll tell you..
I send to 5 rooms 4 separate type of video feeds (individually selectable at the end points) and one line level audio via both electronic transcoders & passive baluns..
The living room`s rack is the head end for selection and distribution for my closed loop(no outside media source) digital/analog media.

taking the time to carefully redo, so will end up eating in to the time that should be used to enjoy system`s offerings..

Great minds, Bill! Confession: Frankly, I LIKE looking at all this mass of confused wiring. It reminds me of the human brain, with all those intertwined tendrils focused on the singular mission of incredible sound, which our brains receive and give us such pleasure!

Time to scour Barter Town! So many cables, so little time!

Dave

I feel your pain. I have two full 7.1 systems set up in one room. I learned long ago you don't tie anything down. It looks nice, but it's a PITA for changes. My system takes up the entire front wall. I have to slip between the side of the display and a cabinet to get behind it. There's never enough room or light. One day I'll salvage the numerous legacy cables I've left there when upgrading. I might have enough in copper to support this habit awhile longer.

Maybe you could work up a diagram for us on that? What ever you do don't let GChief see it in person, he might have a heart attack!

Never have done it..
Not sure I want to !!
I researched/designed/engineered the concept in 2009, then bought the Cat 6E cable, and installed all the baluns and distribution equipment, but paid for the Cat 6E cabling installation & bandwidth certification..

All committed to memory with all `gooutsey`s & `goninsa`s cables/jacks, labeled with my Brother label maker with help from my care giver/personal assistant/handler lady friend, for her requested benefit.

I feel your pain. I have two full 7.1 systems set up in one room. I learned long ago you don't tie anything down. It looks nice, but it's a PITA for changes. My system takes up the entire front wall. I have to slip between the side of the display and a cabinet to get behind it. There's never enough room or light. One day I'll salvage the numerous legacy cables I've left there when upgrading. I might have enough in copper to support this habit awhile longer.

No pain, as all works perfectly, after debugging for a hour or two after installation in 2009, mostly because of HDCP issues from feeding as many as 5 Flat screens and a projector HDMI..

At work in the morning when it's still dark out, hands-free lighting that clips onto the brim of my hat works great.

So great that I keep a separate hat at home in the stereo room with the same hands free lighting clipped to it just like at work. When I have to get behind my gear, on go the cheaters and the hat.

Hands free lighting is the only way to go when dealing with my equipment.:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom