The AK "Trade Up" Challenge thread

On the bright side I haven't bought any gear in ages, on the other hand I have not gotten any of my project pieces repaired, nor have I sold any excess gear. Unless you are willing to give stuff away at ridiculous prices, the buyers aren't interested. Like others here, my accumulation of cds continues unabated and am rapidly running out of rack space for them and yes that is a custom made rack. Sorry, hon.

Do you want to...

Simplify your audio life?
Reclaim lost space?
Improve your system?

A while back, I sold three pairs of vintage headphones that I'd collected and used the proceeds to buy a brand new pair of Grados that sounded better than anything I'd owned previously.

Then, three pairs of MOTL speakers became one high quality phono preamp...

More recently, I moved a couple cartridges down the road and bought one I liked better.

The "quality over quantity" approach has yielded significant benefits in my system over the years, and I've still got opportunities. How many other AK members have similar stories to tell?

To many times and not enough time to tell.

Picked up so much good gear for restoring others amps/speakers. Most were AK members.

Kind Regards,
John

Last summer I began my flip it up project. It started with a free BPC receiver that came with some Bose bookshelf speakers. I traded these for $50 which I immediately exchanged for a Yamaha M-4 amplifier. My goal is to swap up to a Schiit preamp. But I'm lazy so I might just sell it and convert the cash to Bitcoin for a while.

Last summer I began my flip it up project. It started with a free BPC receiver that came with some Bose bookshelf speakers. I traded these for $50 which I immediately exchanged for a Yamaha M-4 amplifier. My goal is to swap up to a Schiit preamp. But I'm lazy so I might just sell it and convert the cash to Bitcoin for a while.
No doubt it's a bit harder these days to "flip up".
It's certainly to be a challenge compared to days of yore.
That said godspeed and "buy the dips and sell the rips" in Bitcoin:beerchug:
btc_value.png

I'm bumping this thread because I heard a good story about a guy who turned a lawnmower into some awesome speakers...

@Redboy, I'd like to hear that particular story.

Here’s my story of determination. My apologies for the long story.

Several years ago I saw an ad on Craigslist about some Stephens speakers in some Karlson cabinets about 2 hours away from me. They were listed at full value so I figured there’s no way I could possibly buy them. I wrote them off but in my constant searching for all things audio, I kept seeing them and I kept trying to figure out a way to come up with the cash. I ended up calling the guy to get some information to share with my friends here at AK and had a great conversation about the history of the speakers and life in general. At this point I figured they were out of reach for me but I wanted them to get into the right hands where they would be taken care of and appreciated.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/stephens-tru-sonic-206axa.675093/

The Ad disappeared from Craigslist but reappeared some time later. Central Iowa is an audio desert and stuff like this doesn’t come up for sale much. I wanted these bad but couldn’t afford them. I finally got the courage to call him again and asked if he would consider trading for something of equal value. He said he didn’t need anything but I kept asking. There’s gotta be something you need right? He thought about it and said the only thing he could really use is a good riding lawn mower since he lived on a pretty good size acreage.

I didn’t have an extra lawn mower but I know a lot of people. I talked with a buddy that had just bought a new mower after his old one quit. He offered me his old mower for free if I’d take it away. I figured that I’m pretty handy so I’d take it and see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. It was a really nice commercial mower that I was able to diagnose. I called the guy back and described the mower and the condition it was in. He told me if I would bring it to a service station near him and it checked out he would make the trade. I loaded it up on my car trailer and brought it to the shop. They told him it was a good mower so we went to his place to check out the speakers.

He’d had these for decades and they survived several moves and a divorce. He didn’t want to sell them but he was simplifying in order to move in the next year or two. He told me that he had had them so long it was like losing an arm to let them go. I assured him that these were going to be taken care and we loaded them in the truck.20160123_140005.jpg20160316_121957.jpg

They’ve recently become my main speakers and one of my most prized possessions. A long journey for sure but well worth it, IMO. Maybe some day down the road I’ll trade them for a lawn mower...

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/stephens-coaxial-project.708479/

Last edited:
They’ve recently become my main speakers and one of my most prized possessions. A long journey for sure but well worth it, IMO. Maybe some day down the road I’ll trade them for a lawn mower...
Hah! Awesome... :)

I had the chance to listen to these speakers over the weekend and they are really something special, but a story like this make them all the more valuable!

:thumbsup:

Here’s my story of determination. My apologies for the long story.

Several years ago I saw an ad on Craigslist about some Stephens speakers in some Karlson cabinets about 2 hours away from me. They were listed at full value so I figured there’s no way I could possibly buy them. I wrote them off but in my constant searching for all things audio, I kept seeing them and I kept trying to figure out a way to come up with the cash. I ended up calling the guy to get some information to share with my friends here at AK and had a great conversation about the history of the speakers and life in general. At this point I figured they were out of reach for me but I wanted them to get into the right hands where they would be taken care of and appreciated.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/stephens-tru-sonic-206axa.675093/

The Ad disappeared from Craigslist but reappeared some time later. Central Iowa is an audio desert and stuff like this doesn’t come up for sale much. I wanted these bad but couldn’t afford them. I finally got the courage to call him again and asked if he would consider trading for something of equal value. He said he didn’t need anything but I kept asking. There’s gotta be something you need right? He thought about it and said the only thing he could really use is a good riding lawn mower since he lived on a pretty good size acreage.

I didn’t have an extra lawn mower but I know a lot of people. I talked with a buddy that had just bought a new mower after his old one quit. He offered me his old mower for free if I’d take it away. I figured that I’m pretty handy so I’d take it and see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. It was a really nice commercial mower that I was able to diagnose. I called the guy back and described the mower and the condition it was in. He told me if I would bring it to a service station near him and it checked out he would make the trade. I loaded it up on my car trailer and brought it to the shop. They told him it was a good mower so we went to his place to check out the speakers.

He’d had these for decades and they survived several moves and a divorce. He didn’t want to sell them but he was simplifying in order to move in the next year or two. He told me that he had had them so long it was like losing an arm to let them go. I assured him that these were going to be taken care and we loaded them in the truck.View attachment 1609889View attachment 1609890

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/stephens-coaxial-project.708479/

Wonderful, wonderful story. If you don't mind, what was the issue with that very nice mower?? Also, that you in the second pic all smiles??

Hah! Awesome... :)

I had the chance to listen to these speakers over the weekend and they are really something special, but a story like this make them all the more valuable!

:thumbsup:

I have much love for stories like this as well.

Wonderful, wonderful story. If you don't mind, what was the issue with that very nice mower?? Also, that you in the second pic all smiles??

I have much love for stories like this as well.
That’s the gentleman I got the speakers from, super nice guy. I seem to recall that it was a fuel pump issue with the mower.

I buy and sell things all the time. I started at a very young age doing this. In 2nd grade I talked the lunch lady into putting aside the silver coins for me. She would separate them for me and i would trade her non silver coins for them when I had extra money.

Anyway a few months back I purchased a stereo console at a estate sale. It had a non working HH scott 340 in it. I then answered a ad for a set of Big Red monitors and the guy asked me if I had anything to trade. We wound up trading and I got the speakers and a sizable chunk of cash. He was happy and so was I.

The stories go on and on...

I recently traded 3 pairs of speakers for a pair of Klipsch Heresy II. The speakers were JBL MRV308, Eosone RSF200, and Boston Acoustics A120. A few more deals like that and my closet will be manageable.

Just traded EPI Microtower Bookshelf IIs and KLH Model 24s for a Marantz SR 6000. Maybe not the best Marantz, but I like it and it cleared more closet space (actually same guy as the Heresys).

I pretty much plan to disburse my extra receivers, speakers, and turntables amongst any of my friends that want them over the next few months. Kenwood and Pioneer receivers, Pioneer and Realistic and Polk speakers. All ready to be freed from the hell that is my closet, and into the hands of appreciative owners. All my remnants from trading up and trying out different components and speakers on a whim or compulsion. Whatever they don't want'll go straight to CL, or be someone's sick score at Goodwill.

If I end up with a significant profit, I might look into upgrading, but the problem is...I already want what I have! Yamaha and Harman Kardon receivers are hard to top, Pioneer linear trackers and Dual 1019's are tough acts to follow, and you just can't beat the KLH 6.

Back
Top Bottom