The album that changed your life, Do you have one?

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
I was a bit of a country kid. My brother, who’s 8 years older, liked a mix of country and rock. We were forever fighting about radio stations. Dad, he was an Ernest Tubb/Hank Sr. guy, so to gain his approval, I coveted country.

Then The Cars drove into my life.

The day I found myself singing and grooving to “Let the Good Times Roll” was such an introspective moment. I knew Dad would never approve... but didn’t care.

It took an entire day to walk to and back from the record store. I came home with CDB Devil went Down to Georgia, and The Cars first album. I’m guessing CDB was to soften the blow to dad.
The Cars were transformative for me, here is the album, the ring wear is the circle of my life:
0534BBF3-BEC0-4AB8-B632-F01C40C9B9CB.jpeg

Jimi_Hendrix_-_Electric_Ladyland.jpg

Well, at 65 I've had a lot of albums that have changed my perception of what I like, or changed my musical horizons and "Broke out of the box" at least for me. The list is as follows (in Chronological order):
Whipped Cream and Other Delights - Herb Alpert and the TJB
Tommy - Who
Lamb lies down on Broadway - Genesis
Go - Stomu Yamashta
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
Romantic Warrior - Return to Forever
Scheherazade and other stories - Renaissance
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straights
<<huge time gap while I spend a decade on my home planet>>
Head East Live (1979) - Head East (yes, I discovered it very late)
Pure Heroine - Lorde

There are probably some others, but those are the albums that, at the time, just blew me away.

FWIW, the one concert video that really blew me away was Pulse, by Pink Floyd. I still get tears in my eyes when I watch comfortably numb. It's a very powerful emotional experience. Music is at its best when it affects you that way.

Last edited:
My aforementioned album is what declared my independence from my fathers opinions. I think this is huge for a kid, it is what put me on a wide path of accepting other genres of music. It was the keystone in my arch of finding something to love in all kinds of music.

I guess my first musical purchase of three albums in 1970 purely from the album cover art work and one came with three records. I was 12yrs old, purchased through the Record Club of America to help my older brother meet the purchase requirement of membership.

These three albums definitely had a huge influence on my future love of music. How serendipitous was it to choose such great albums purely by chance lol.

R-728955-1166983361.jpeg.jpg
f979dff1-3047-4740-b21b-7fee747a4ece_1.50cacd6f2071e5c206f624445b2832d7.jpeg
100_0434 (1).jpeg

Yeah. Cosmos Factory was one of my early favorites. I left it on the seat of my car once while visiting my girlfriend. Completely ruined it. :(

I don't think any album or really music changed my life, some has had a big impact tho.
I had never heard of either of those two songs until I joined a classic rock band about 12 years ago that was into skynyrd. And considering I'm 65, it appears I was never much of a fan. They are fun to perform, though. I think it was my being in Seattle before I turned 58 that left those songs off my Radar.

Yeah. Cosmos Factory was one of my early favorites. I left it on the seat of my car once while visiting my girlfriend. Completely ruined it. :(

Really odd thing about this album, it was advertised as unbreakable lol. The edges can be bent around until they touch each other without breaking the disc. Not sure if this affected the vinyl quality but the record still rocks 49yrs later.

I think it was my being in Seattle before I turned 58 that left those songs off my Radar.
I'v been in California, specifically the SF peninsula my whole life, souther rock was always big around here. It all started really from the ABB but Lynyrd Skynyrd was far bigger at the time. The trend was more country type rock like the Eagles, Bob Seger, Steve Miller, The Out Laws, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, on and on.

I was at this Day on the Green, these where the biggest concerts Bill Graham put on in the summer, usually three per summer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_on_the_Green

I'v been in California, specifically the SF peninsula my whole life, souther rock was always big around here. It all started really from the ABB but Lynyrd Skynyrd was far bigger at the time. The trend was more country type rock like the Eagles, Bob Seger, Steve Miller, The Out Laws, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, on and on.

I was at this Day on the Green, these where the biggest concerts Bill Graham put on in the summer, usually three per summer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_on_the_Green

Yeah. The Eagles were popular and I was very familiar with them but I didn't like them. I considered them too "country". Then I saw the second concert DVD from Austrailia. They blew me away. I own that DVD and am a big fan now...

Early 70's - when I was in high school and college, these records had a big impact on my taste in music and my interest in music and good stereo.

The variety and quality of music was incredible at that time.

Cheers,

Snade

20190202_111337.jpg

Yeah. The Eagles were popular and I was very familiar with them but I didn't like them. I considered them too "country".
Well that's why you weren't in touch with anything along those lines,
Then I saw the second concert DVD from Austrailia. They blew me away. I own that DVD and am a big fan now...

You should see, if you haven't, The Eagles, When Hell Freezes Over

This is the best Hotel California I ever heard, I love how they made it more Spanish Guitar sounding.

This is the best Hotel California I ever heard, I love how they made it more Spanish Guitar sounding.

Agreed. Best hotel California.

That intro is extremely nice. I have that concert too and like it, but I like the "show" of the second one as well as that amazing hired gun on guitar.

Back
Top Bottom