The Audiokarma Official Steam Engines Magazine

Very nice photography Chris. Love seeing the old engines and it's great to get a reminder of others who also enjoy one of my fathers passions. Thank you for sharing.

The last time I saw one was in Oberhausen. They rebuilt part of the industrial tracks and used the steam locomotive to carry tourists. What a marvel it was.

Super cool, Chris. Thank you.

My friend used to run a print shop. He had an authentic Heidelberg press. That thing was absolutely carved out of granite. Aside from the gargantuan pulley belt, NOTHING on that thing would deteriorate in about 100 years.

Oh, and if you get too close, it might just kill you. It nearly killed my friend, who has long hair, and got a bit too close while it was running. Came away with a concussion.

Not it, and not the same model, but similar.

upload_2017-10-15_14-16-34.jpeg

German engineering. Accept no substitute.

You got to love the old machinery. They were designed and built for generations of service, for workers and customers alike.

-Dave

I
Super cool, Chris. Thank you.

My friend used to run a print shop. He had an authentic Heidelberg press. That thing was absolutely carved out of granite. Aside from the gargantuan pulley belt, NOTHING on that thing would deteriorate in about 100 years.

Oh, and if you get too close, it might just kill you. It nearly killed my friend, who has long hair, and got a bit too close while it was running. Came away with a concussion.

Not it, and not the same model, but similar.

View attachment 1025423

German engineering. Accept no substitute.
I used to operate the Kluge, and Verticle letterpress presses here for about 10 years after high school. It was a pretty neat line of work.
IMG_6176.JPG IMG_6177.JPG
The guy that got me a job there in '90 said "It looks like a museum in here but the old presses get the job done." And they did.

Great photos, Chris. When I was living in Utah, we went out to see the reenactment of the golden spike being driven to connect the Central and Union Pacific lines outside of Brigham City in 1869. It was hard to believe they were able to cross miles of rugged terrain with raiload track.

1869-Golden_Spike.jpg

55760.jpg

Very cool,,, love the style of European steam engines....

And I like the style of European and American steam engines. By the way - do you folks know that the Big Boy "4014" is getting a restoration - perhaps this topic could deserve an own thread in the wheels and wings forum?

Last edited:
Or a general Steam locomotives thread. I'm a big fan of the Norfolk & Western, 611, 1218 ,and 2156...as well as 475. Well ANY steam including the Australian Beyer-Garret's!

Or a general Steam locomotives thread. I'm a big fan of the Norfolk & Western, 611, 1218 ,and 2156...as well as 475. Well ANY steam including the Australian Beyer-Garret's!

So - here we are - and thank you admins for moving the thread!

Here is N&W 2156, the last Y6a being pushed into position next to 1218 and 611.
2156 had a tractive effort of 166,500 Lbs. Boiler pressure of 300 lbs. It was a bunch of improvements to the USRA 2-8-8-2's of 1918. At the time they were retired (1961) they were the most powerful freight locos, and it took 2 Trainmasters to replace one Y6.

N&W 611 on a test run to make sure all roller bearings were getting lubes. Notice the motion of the Baker valve gear going from "forward" to "neutral".

Back
Top Bottom