The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018 Netflix)

My only issue with the "end of the line" theory is if the 3 passengers have reached their "final destination" why was there a need for the 4th "passenger" to be all wrapped up and carried off the coach by the reapers? Why wouldn't that "passenger" be riding with the others in the same "upright" condition? I know the Coen Brothers like their Greek mythology but the Ferryman/River Styx treatment here seems a bit obvious. The overwhelming clues point to it but an actual body being used does not seem to fit or its sloppy writing which they don't do.

Last edited:
Maybe he was more ornery and wasn't going to go gentle-like as the other 3 did?

QUOTE="Wolverine, post: 12170199, member: 29445"]My only issue with the "end of the line" theory is if the 3 passengers have reached their "final destination" why was there a need for the 4th "passenger" to be all wrapped up and carried off the coach by the reapers? Why wouldn't that "passenger" be riding with the others in the same "upright" condition? I know the Coen Brothers like their Greek mythology but the Ferryman/River Styx treatment here seems a bit obvious. The overwhelming clues point to it but an actual body being used does not seem to fit or its sloppy writing which they don't do.[/QUOTE]

Bobcat, I haven’t seen the movie yet but did watch the trailer. I do believe that Milton Waddams (Stephen Root) is the actor in the bank. Good catch.

The movie is just what I would expect from the Coen Brothers until the chapter "Meal ticket". I'm glad they used some editorial film story telling at the end instead of SEEING what happened. The best scenery photography I've ever seen was in the "All Gold Canyon" . All in all, I'll watch it a few more times.
Can you imagine if the Coen Brothers teamed up with Vince Gilligan's group??

I enjoyed all but the last part, didn't quite get it. Maybe was getting tired. I sure enjoyed the miner working to find the gold. "You shot me in the back" was hilarious !

I enjoyed all but the last part, didn't quite get it. Maybe was getting tired. I sure enjoyed the miner working to find the gold. "You shot me in the back" was hilarious !

"PAN SHOT!" just cracked me up. Does anyone know if that gold prospector's method is a true thing?

It is a strange series of short films. I enjoyed them. The gold miner was definitely the best one though.

I thought the acting, stories and cinematography were all first class. Going into it I was prepared for some doom and gloom, not expecting any happy endings. All the characters were interesting, typical for the writers. While it was entertaining and well done, it was missing something. Suspense, probably.

Back
Top Bottom