The Basement

brian93

I've found myself lurking here quite a bit lately, reading about other people's systems (all I have to say is WOW), so I figured I may as well post mine.

There's nothing too fancy here, but it gets the job done:

Pioneer VSX-4400 Receiver
Post Audio DM-16 speakers
JVC SP-95 speakers

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm definitely looking to get a power amp soon since the Pioneer just isn't cutting it anymore, and it's seen better days... The display doesn't work, sometimes the volume knob motor doesn't work, and the sound quality seems to have gone down.

Any comments you have or suggestions to get better sound out of this, I'd like to hear :)

Attachments

• DSCN4373_1.jpg
    DSCN4373_1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 695
  • DSCN4375_2.jpg
    DSCN4375_2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 687
  • DSCN4377_4.jpg
    DSCN4377_4.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 687
i bet your system moves quite a bit of air around! are all 4 of your speakers running on one receiver? if you are concerned about sound quality, i would demo both pairs of speakers separately and determine which sounds best. then use just one pair. speaker placement can really change the way a system sounds also, so you may want to play around a bit. if you are looking to upgrade, i would clean everything up that you currently have and sell it on craigslist. If you take good pictures and have good discriptions i bet you could gather enough money to buy a decent two channel system that you will be impressed with consisting of a decent used receiver and 2 bookshelf speakers. obviously you already have the audio illness, you gotta start smoking the good s**t.

-cheers!

davestradamu - it can, makes it a bit chilly sometimes :D and yeah, they're all running on one receiver, although i've spent a good deal of time messing around and it really doesn't make a difference in sound quality whether there's one pair or two pairs going. i've also tried making slight placement changes, but there really isn't anywhere else in the room to put the speakers. anywhere else and things sound pretty bad. funnily enough i've heard the suggestion to ditch the system before, but i'd rather try to work with what i have - if anything, it'll make me learn more.

81spirit - oh how i'd love to do that! who knows, eventually i might be able to manage a setup like that, but it won't be for a while...

thanks for the comments

what is that receiver/amp to the left of your pioneer? i might be seeing things, but is that another output device?

it's definitely another output device, completely forgot to mention it because i wasn't using it - it's a fisher ca-26, and i believe it does about 30 watts per channel. on occasion the left or right (or both) channels will get quieter and distorted so i avoid using it

voltcontrol - haha, don't worry, they'll probably be painted over as soon as I leave for college

Rome - thanks! you've got quite the nice setup yourself

Thanks. It's definitely just a start, and hopefully in [many] years I'll have a top notch system like a lot of the members here :)

I've noticed that one of the woofers (on the Post Audio speakers) makes a buzzing noise with certain frequencies once it's at a certain volume (not a high volume). I'm quite sure it's just the dustcap, so what would you guys recommend glue-wise to fix it?

The system has changed slightly since the right channel on the Pioneer started acting funny.
I currently have only the Post Audio speakers hooked up (I think it sounds better this way/don't really have much choice) to the Fisher CA-26. Seems to have a nicer sound than the Pioneer, but the Pioneer was never in great shape (as far as I know).

Now there will probably be an addition to the system quite soon and I'd like to hear some opinions; what do you think of the Technics SU-V2?

(sorry for making 3 posts in a row, this seems like a relevant update though)

Back
Top Bottom