The best bang for the buck preamp?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Oneoff, Jul 10, 2018 at 9:06 AM.

1. Oneoff

Oneoff AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow- the c2a is so expensive! 1800$ for a used solid state unit?? It must be something special...

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Roadrash

Roadrash AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Kenwood C2 is an outstanding preamp. It easily outperformed an Onkyo P-306RS in my experience. There was a fully recapped one on Barter Town recently, and if you become a subscriber you can go there and find it if you are so inclined .

3. ronrico

ronrico Well-Known Member

Pioneer C-21.

4. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

No love for the Sony TA-E86B?

5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Super Member

Have a recapped C21. Have not heard the Sony TE-E86B, but would love to have one to try!

6. Rockyhill

Rockyhill No marigolds in the promised land Subscriber

Parasound 2100.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Agreed, outstanding build quality and they tend to fly under the radar, which keeps the prices down. I've been running an Acurus L10 in my master bedroom for several years with a number of different power amps (currently a Yamaha MX-800U), speakers (currently KEF 104/2 Reference Series) and sources. I've never felt the need to upgrade the Acurus.

StimpyWan and Oneoff like this.
  8. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree 100%. I found my Acurus L10 in a pawn shop. That, and a Sonographe SG-3 turntable, running a Grado 8MZ Signature cartridge. Best purchases I ever made. I took them both home, and hooked them up with a Music Hall phono pre, my Amber Series 70 amp, and my trusty AR90 speakers.

First up, the Peter Gabriel "So" LP. Wow. Peter was in the Room. Incredible presence. Great imaging. Palpable. Then it hit me, where were the tics and pops? They were still there, but pushed back into the background. It's like they were shifted from being in the way of the music, and moved to the side lines, where the noises were much more easily ignored. My first taste of true high end sound at home! Not too bad, from a pawn shop detour.

MCM_Fan likes this.