The Black Keys - Brothers

stonetoroll

Artist - The Black Keys
Album - Brothers
Year of Release -2010
Record Label - Nonesuch Records
Genre - Blues Rock R&B

I'm a long way from becoming an audiophile that's for sure, but everyone here is always super friendly, so I thought I'd give something back the way I know how. Enjoy.

To date, ‘Brothers,’ the sixth album from the Akron, Ohio boys Patrick Carney and Dan Auerbach, is the most commercially successful TBK album yet. This may be accounted for by the group’s transition from the pistol-whippin’ blues style of R.L. Burnside and Junior Kimbrough to a more manicured popularised R&B groove.

The blues-rock experts break the mould of what must be their most soulful and musically mature album yet. The guitar tones are swollen with rich vintage effects, whilst the drums ease off the pedal and supply a flawless display of rhythmical brilliance. Auerbach’s vocals, now tailored to a softer sound, have become technically supreme rising to the heights of ‘Too Afraid to Love You’ and ‘Unknown Brother.’ ‘Everlasting Light’ even sees Dan going falsetto and pulling it off superbly.

In recent years, Dan has unleashed his hidden talent of producing on the likes of Radio Moscow, The Main Street Gospel, Hacienda and Jessica Mayfield, along with TBK-rap venture Blakroc. Before their fifth album, ‘Attack & Release,’ produced by Danger Mouse, Dan and Pat had only ever self-produced and not even stepped in a studio. However this was predominately down to little production work being needed to keep the raw, unadulterated sound that put them on the blues-rock map.

Since ‘Attack & Release’ in 2008 the guys have started experimenting heavily on the keys, synth and bass. It is an obvious progression therefore, with maturity of the group, to head to influences that demand a well-groomed, filled-out and produced aesthetic. But don’t think for a second that they’ve sold out; The Black Keys will always remain the authentic conglomerate of their roots, and as with ‘Brothers,’ turn all that they touch to gold.

Aside from ‘Tighten Up,’ the record’s lone single produced by ex-comrade Danger Mouse, The Black Keys take the reigns on an otherwise self-produced album. This leads me to believe that the raw and pure blues roots days are gone, but with tempered blues-oriented tracks like ‘Next Girl’ and ‘Ten Cent Pistol,’ and not a single dud track through all 56 minutes of recording, why would anyone care?

The_Black_Keys_-_Brothers.jpg

http://forgettheboozeroony.tumblr.com/

To date, ‘Brothers,’ the sixth album from the Akron, Ohio boys Patrick Carney and Dan Auerbach, is the most commercially successful TBK album yet. This may be accounted for by the group’s transition from the pistol-whippin’ blues style of R.L. Burnside and Junior Kimbrough to a more manicured popularised R&B groove.

Thanks for the honest review. You just saved me $15. Personally, I like their older style better and was unhappy with Attack And Release. There were a few good ones on their but not worth (to me) having the whole album.

Thanks for the honest review. You just saved me $15. Personally, I like their older style better and was unhappy with Attack And Release. There were a few good ones on their but not worth (to me) having the whole album.

I would give it a try. I didn't like Attack and Release much at all, and I like Brothers. It seems to have more of a gritty feel like their older albums.

Based on everything I've ever read or heard here & elsewhere re: Black Keys, I think I'd like their music. At the moment I don't have any, but I intend to remedy that soon.

Nice review, by the way. :thmbsp:

Eat my words

OK,I'm ready too fess up=I like the Black Keys!:yes:
First couple times of hearing Brothers didnt grab me.Buutt after many listens(wife picked it up & liked from get go) it has went to the top of the ranks.Just got through watching the Austin City Limits episode we have on dvr-wow! Now listening to the Attack & Release LP-half speed mastered-sounds excellent! Didnt know my pre amp went to 89 but sounded fine!
Will be picking up the rest of their stuff asap!:yes:
Snowed in & lovin it,Robert

I love Brothers

Someone at a Record store just gave me a copy of Attack and Release,a complete stranger in fact and I listened to it and it grew on me. I bought a promo copy of Brothers and was struck by the Motown images in the songs awashed with guitars and found it interesting. It's one of those rare cds where you hear it differntly everytime. I have been looking for stuff from their earlier catalog and I first heard of em because they do the opening credit song on Hung.
Great review by the way.

Nice review, thanks. I've been ignoring new music for a couple of decades. I do listen to a radio station that plays new music that is (to me) inoffensive at worst and quite enjoyable at best. Nonetheless, it's been "in one ear and out the other." Recently I've been paying more attention and one song that caught my ear the other day was by The Black Keys. I'll have to check them out!

I saw them on Saturday Night Live a few weeks back, and really enjoyed their performance.

Thanks for the review - I'll check them out.

I got hooked on The Black Keys with Rubber Factory, and have since dug deeper into their music with Thickfreakness and The Big Come Up. However, Attack and Release didn't catch my attention the same way, and Brothers - despite having a couple songs I can dig - is still leaving me wanting for their earlier stripped-down, gritty blues.

On a side note, for those who love their early sound, check out Junior Kimbrough. There's a lot of JK influence in TBK's early work.

In my opinion it's their BEST album by far. It sounds great, the tunes are great, the production is great and you can't go wrong with Dan's newfound falsetto.

"My gears they grind, more each day, and I feel like they're gonna grind away"

Nice review, thanks. I've been ignoring new music for a couple of decades. I do listen to a radio station that plays new music that is (to me) inoffensive at worst and quite enjoyable at best. Nonetheless, it's been "in one ear and out the other." Recently I've been paying more attention and one song that caught my ear the other day was by The Black Keys. I'll have to check them out!

2 decades? You're missing out!

This was a good album to get them noticed by the public. If you listen to tighten up, it doesnt sound like anything they would do. It was meant to be a radio single.

Magic Potion is still by far my favorite album of their.

I pray they dont change their style to win awards.

i got the vinyl version of "brothers" a few months ago and love it. nearly every song is excellent and the sound quality is pretty darn good IMO. My girlfriend raves about it- she likes it a lot more than i do. thats not to say i dont really like it though

anyways, i like how the vinyl edition contains a CD of the album, which is nice to have in the car or to put onto one's digital playlist.

i got the vinyl version of "brothers" a few months ago and love it. nearly every song is excellent and the sound quality is pretty darn good IMO. My girlfriend raves about it- she likes it a lot more than i do. thats not to say i dont really like it though

anyways, i like how the vinyl edition contains a CD of the album, which is nice to have in the car or to put onto one's digital playlist.

I love that song 'Tighten Up' by them on that album, awesome stuff what genre would you call it?

Daza.

Back
Top Bottom