The Cassette Mix Tape!

ninetynine

I was watching High Fidelity the other day and it prompted me to make a mix tape!anyone else still compile songs on a tape? Its extremely fun , the whole process of finding the right songs and trying to fit them together one after the other! I usually do some for friends and they always ask for more each time.

Yes, that is fun.:)
I add sound-effects in the background sometimes.
Mellow music, rain and thunder in the background etc, then Smoke on the water with Deep Purple the next song:D

Loads of Fun!! Cassette and Reel to Reel

A whole lot more fun than using a CDR. Since I got my two Teac cassettes and a reel to reel I do this. Those damned CDR's have to "think about it" and I hate the copy protection. Been making cassettes for the car. Sound better than CD's. The CD's are skipping on some songs. Been gtrying to make a CD from a cassette for a friend. Fairly decent sound if I could get it to stop skipping on the CDR.

Tapes are so much more fun and easy to work with. If you make a mistake, no problem. Back it up and start over:D And no waiting for it to make up its stupid mind (CDR):mad: But thats what the commoners have these days and off it will go to the shop. They make CDR's too complicdated with more crap than I will ever use:mad:

Getting ready to make a cool mic of Billy Holiday and Peggy Lee. A little Steely Dan, Anita Baker, Patti Austin and whatever else I have. Will do a reel to reel version first:D, then a cassette.Got some new old stock BASF off the 'Bay!!

Enjoy...Eric

I enjoy the whole process of making "comps". I'd be very interested in knowing your thoughts on your taping techniques. For example, songs that segue well. If you have any that really impressed you I'd like to know about them. I also like what Vintage TX mentioned with the sound effects prior to the song.

I like to record mixes although I have been tweaking and setting up my new system for what seems like forever. I snagged 3 Maxell XLII-S from my brother's old room at my parent's house and they are sitting on my desk.

You gotta mix the cassette mix for the boombox that travels to the river or the friend who has the tapedeck in the car.

I record to three places simultaneously: PC (burn later to CDR 80min-maybe will try 90min overburn), direct to CD, and direct to tape.

I need to find some CDR's that my Denon CDRW/CD player will "see" and I think 60 min. mixes would the right size although I regularly also make 80 min automated mixes by feeding the signal from winamp through my mixer and back to my soundcard. I have two ouputs on the PC so I can manual mix two winamp playlists or let it do it on it's own with a preset playlist and fade timer.

The cassette is still essential....!

Stereofisher, I'd be willing to help you troubleshoot your CDR burns.

Also, are people making "mixes" or compilations???

I only like to fade or drop tracks into one another. I do make comps as I archive my older, rarer records which I also store in an archive on my computer; Jamaican music, all eras.

DC

Been doing that since I bought my first cassette deck in 1971! Have also done it on reel-to-reel but cassette is so much easier.

Most of my mixes ended up being eventually erased but I have two that I did more than 25 years ago that still get played. One I called "Living In the USA" which included everything from Steve Miller to Firesign Theater to Captain Beefheart in a 90 minute exploration of what I felt like as a recently returned veteran who had been radicalized by his military experiences and much world travel.

THe second I called "Maryjane Chronicles", the subject of which I think is obvious. It contains all the drug-routines and songs I could find at the time and includes things from David Peel to John Prine to Frank Zappa to Lenny Bruce. Or 90 minutes worth, at least.

The first I could have played on my radio show (I was a shipboard dj) had it been made att. The second one - no way. The military has no sense of humor.

Last one I did was for the wife. Dance music of all sorts - from disco to "Boot Scoot Boogie." I told her after I finished that I would never again play Village People on my stereo. That stuff is poison!

"Rosemary, have you any more coffee? This tastes like moose pee!" - Richard Nixon to Rosemary Woods as reported by National Lampoon's "Watergate Tapes."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom