The Cockeyed Dirtybird (Dual 1009SK)

I'm impressed with how good this sounds.
I'm not all that surprised, it's mainly what I expected, but I hardly had to do any tweaking.
Everything works; manual, automatic, stacker spindle, everything.
I bought a 1019 out of the back of some guy's SUV. Was on my way into a record store and he was unloading LPs and gear. We bartered, I got the TT for $50.
It was disgustingly filthy but he said it still worked. Amazingly, it did. It took a week of work to get my 1219 running again, but the 1019 needed nothing except wiping the schmutz off.

I bought a 1019 out of the back of some guy's SUV. Was on my way into a record store and he was unloading LPs and gear. We bartered, I got the TT for $50.
It was disgustingly filthy but he said it still worked. Amazingly, it did. It took a week of work to get my 1219 running again, but the 1019 needed nothing except wiping the schmutz off.
Don’t you just love it when that happens?

Don’t you just love it when that happens?
Yeah, and the thing is the 1219 still doesn't work completely. Start/stop is hopeless. Use it with manual start, the arm will return and the deck will shut off as normal but try to use the start/stop, it goes nuts.
I ended up cleaning and relubing the easy stuff on the 1019 just to say I did it. But it didn't really need anything except a good cosmetic clean.

Wow, you've been busy! Did you get the STA-65 sorted? See you have an SA-350, where do you find these things? LOL I used to like that amp, low power
but probably perfect with the MC-1000's :)

But back to the Dual. You've done a great job! I have one that I am about ten times into for what you have and she probably doesn't operate as well :oops: I do
have the same cart in it, strangely enough, and that does sound sweet. Mine too had a bent stylus, and I got an aftermarket from Gary at voiceofmusic for cheap money. Sounds very very good. Have to watch him, sometimes all he has is aftermarket but occasionally he gets OEM.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cat...=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Pickering&Categories=

You can download documentation on the turntable from Vinylengine.com, though you have to join.

Good luck!

DSCN3420.JPG

DSCN3437.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, and the thing is the 1219 still doesn't work completely. Start/stop is hopeless. Use it with manual start, the arm will return and the deck will shut off as normal but try to use the start/stop, it goes nuts.
I ended up cleaning and relubing the easy stuff on the 1019 just to say I did it. But it didn't really need anything except a good cosmetic clean.
I got a service manual for my 1009SK, it lists all the malfunctions it can have and how to fix them.
Maybe a service manual for your 1219 will help you track down the gremlins.

Wow, you've been busy! Did you get the STA-65 sorted? See you have an SA-350, where do you find these things? LOL I used to like that amp, low power
but probably perfect with the MC-1000's :)

But back to the Dual. You've done a great job! I have one that I am about ten times into for what you have and she probably doesn't operate as well :oops: I do
have the same cart in it, strangely enough, and that does sound sweet. Mine too had a bent stylus, and I got an aftermarket from Gary at voiceofmusic for cheap money. Sounds very very good. Have to watch him, sometimes all he has is aftermarket but occasionally he gets OEM.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cat...=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Pickering&Categories=

You can download documentation on the turntable from Vinylengine.com, though you have to join.

Good luck!

View attachment 1393336

View attachment 1393337
The seller gave me a full refund because of how badly they packaged the turntable that was further damaged in transport. The worst thing that happened was that piece of the veneer being lost.
So the turntable was free. I bought some parts, got some parts as a much appreciated gift, and I bought a parts 1009SK that is at the post office right now. I'll swap some parts over, and keep the rest in a box for the rest of my life (I doubt I'll ever need them), or they will go with the unit if I get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom