The Comically Misunderstood Lyric Thread

For years, I used to sing "Mr. Big Stuff" (1970) by Jean Knight, cause I liked the beat/melody until a couple of years ago, the wifey heard me, and she laughed her head off.

After my rendition, I asked, "So what's so funny bout my song?" She just smirked and said that I had it all wrong.

Seems, I'd been singing it as "Mr. Pizza" all this time! Don't believe me? Dig this tune up and close yer eyes and take it in...it's right there. "Mr. PIZZA, who do you think you are?"

I laugh now, every time I hear on the waves. And I still think it sounds better my way, eh?

Q

Last edited:
When I had my AK Gathering in June, it was in the garage. When nature called to the attendees, they asked to use the restroom, I said, "go in the back door, see the refrigerator, there's a bathroom on the right". The older members chuckled.
I misunderstood this one for decades - till I read about it online.

"There's a bathroom on the right" CCR's Bad Moon Rising.

One of the ones I found most funny when I hosted my drivetime radio show back in the day was Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Pet Shark."

Speaking about CCR... there's that one word that stands out like a light house...can't for the like of me think which song?

But Fog sings "searchlight" that comes out, "sourchlight" that comes out really heavy with an English accent...hardly Louzzie sounding. It's like a bump in the road, not a bad one, cause they is one of my fav band sounds.

Hey Quad, I spun "Cosmo's Factory" side 1 just last night. Man, what a perfect record.

Thanks so much to BigElCat for this resurrection. We could all use a few laughs.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly
A girl with colitis goes by

I actually heard a person singing Hang On Sloopy as Hang On Stupid. She was serious and not trying to be funny.

Then there was Helter Skelter. A guy named Charles either misunderstood the lyrics or misinterpreted them in the song to mean go out and kill some people. He along with some other people did exactly that.

I always liked that Oak Ridge Boys song with the line that said, Come on in, baby take your clothes off.

A co-worker of mine told me a story of some of his co-workers back in his younger days. There were two guys that loved to play Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin all day long. Well one of the other guys who was older than them went on a rant. He told them that he was sick and tired of it and that they needed to play something else once in awhile instead of Darrell Smith and Fred Zeppelin.

No kidding just this morning a radio DJ played Billy Idol, Eyes Without a Face then told us to go thru a drive-thru and sing "fries without a shake"...then apologized for planting it in our brains. True story. Maybe he's an AK'er.

Willie and the Po' Boys:

"Rooster forms a duck face, and solos for a while." (Rooster plucks the gut bass, and solos for a while.)

I used to think Metal Gods by Judas Priest was Cattle Guards. A kid my cousin went to school with thought Smoke on the water was Sloooow walking Waaaalter.

[QUOTE="danrclem, post: 11142909, member: 186620"

A co-worker of mine told me a story of some of his co-workers back in his younger days. There were two guys that loved to play Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin all day long. Well one of the other guys who was older than them went on a rant. He told them that he was sick and tired of it and that they needed to play something else once in awhile instead of Darrell Smith and Fred Zeppelin.[/QUOTE]

"by the way, which one's Pink?"

I have some that seem quite prophetic of current technologies:

Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me:

"Livin like a lover with a red iPhone"

Beastie Boys - Hold It Now, Hit It:

"King of the Ave with the def email"

Faces - Stay With Me

"Get your cell phone!"

Depeche Mode; People are People

I've been a depeche mode fan since I first heard them in 1981,

Until at least the late nineties the refrain has always been to my ears

I can't understand, What makes a man
Hit another man, Help me understand.

and I always wondered why the **** did he want to get hit?

Really changes the entire point of the song to substitute 'hit' for 'hate' doesn't it?

Caught Randy's Bachman's rendition half way through a song, and thought my ears were playing tricks on me with BTO's "Taking Care Of Business" only to find at the end of a song that they had put together a parallel song, that I'd never heard before for the Yuletide..."Taking Care Of Christmas". Had never heard of it before this day! It was hilarious. Same melody, different words. Will have to look it up and hear the whole tune.

Q

Back
Top Bottom