The Craigslist deal-o-rama continues!

BobbyBluz

About a year ago I spotted an Intel i7 4770K with an Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard that allegedly had "issues" on the local CL. After trading a few emails I got the seller's phone # and gave him a call. He said the mobo was defective and he just wanted to move on to something else. He ended up bringing the whole PC to my house for diagnosis. It turned out he'd bent some of the pins in the LGA 1150 socket and that was the cause of the problems. Bent pins voids the warranty and he knew he couldn't return it.

I made him an offer of $350 for everything (about what the CPU was retailing for at the time) and he accepted it. I figured him bringing it to me was worth at least $20 and I have a contact in the Asus corporate office that's been great in the past for helping me with getting RMA's for lost causes. I got out the magnifying glass and X-Acto knife then went to work straightening the bent pins as best I could. My contact set up a RMA for me and I sent it off with crossed fingers. A few weeks later a replacement board showed up (Asus uses repaired boards for RMA replacements) and I built a rig to use with my big 65" Panasonic plasma TV. I have so much other stuff to play with it saw almost no use.

Two weeks ago I spotted an Intel i7 5930K and Asus X99 Deluxe with some other things on CL. I recognized the phone number as belonging to somebody I've done business with before and gave him a call. I offered him the 4770K, Z87 Sabertooth, a Coolermaster HAF 932 I got for free in another deal plus I'd assemble everything for him and throw in a legit install of Win 7 Pro 64 if he brought the rest of the parts needed for a build. He took me up on it. Considering I have only $350 invested it's a very good trade on my end; the CPU is $580 and mobo $370 at Newegg at the moment. I won't get the 32GB of G.Skill DDR4 2400 I just ordered until next week but I think it's going to be a great A/V production rig after I get done doing the parts shuffle between some of my other computers. I'll be putting my last unused Asus D2X into use in this build.

Back
Top Bottom