The Defense For Multiple Pairs of Speakers

I own a six sets of speakers to service three systems, all in separate and totally different rooms. I rarely change to the second three sets and probably should sell them.

I believe in finding one set to do the specific task in a specific room.

To get different sound characteristics I like to change the source, especially phono cartridges which are all different.

To each hobbyists his own fun.

I'm pasting this thread here because it is a great example of why I love multiple pairs.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fun-ar17-fix-up.804854/
I just re foamed these yesterday and have been using them all day today. Very different sound to me. Best way to describe it is this way: In my listening room, many speakers have a sweet spot that might be the size of a car hood. For some reason, these little AR17's have a sweet spot the size of a parachute. Sure, they lack bass, but so what. Again, it's all part of the fun. Right now I'm re foaming a pair of Bose 601's. Tomorrow we will see what they sound like. Can't wait.

Right now I'm re foaming a pair of Bose 601's. Tomorrow we will see what they sound like. Can't wait.

What series?? I suspect you're going to enjoy those, regardless. The series 2 was one of the pairs of speakers I most lamented selling. The grilles were flawless, and the sound was engaging.

I look forward to your results.

I like a nice accurate sound stage. Clean. Clear. Completely transparent (a live performance in my listening room).

I get this from full range electrostatic and well designed and built small "box" speakers like the LS3/5A and JR-149.

All others are just "cones in a box" to my ears

I like a nice accurate sound stage. Clean. Clear. Completely transparent (a live performance in my listening room).

I get this from full range electrostatic and well designed and built small "box" speakers like the LS3/5A and JR-149.

All others are just "cones in a box" to my ears

I have reignited my love of my NHT Super Zeros. Those LS3/5A speakers (Rogers?) have been on my radar for some time.

I have reignited my love of my NHT Super Zeros. Those LS3/5A speakers (Rogers?) have been on my radar for some time.

Yes, LS 3/5a They were made by several companies under license from the BBC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS3/5A#Constructors) The JR-149 are a round cabinet design using the same LS 3/5a components (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS3/5A#J_R_Loudspeakers)

One of the pair I got when we were in London back in the mid 70's. Picked them up directly from Swiss Tone which reminded me more of a shoe repair shop instead of a real audio outlet. It was more of a warehouse/repair facility. Small single door shop with a counter running down one side. Nothing on display. I had to ask if I was in the right place. They flew back as carry on with us

35a.jpg

My JR-149 pair.

jr149_lux_kyoc.jpg

What series?? I suspect you're going to enjoy those, regardless. The series 2 was one of the pairs of speakers I most lamented selling. The grilles were flawless, and the sound was engaging.

I look forward to your results.
These are the original Bose 601's. They have some "symmetry" type of sound affect that seems to spread things out a bit more when it is active. I've got them running now. Can't report much on how they sound yet, but first impression is that would do well supplying background music. Not much bass, but really spacious mids and highs.

Got my Anthem mrx 310 back last week and also picked up a set of Monitor Audio 1's. Got the MA's hooked up to a Yammie M4 on zone 2 and Yammie M80 with Focal Aria 905's. on the main. ABing them, 905 better depth and nicer highs while the MA's seem to have a wider soundstage and better lows. Actually sound fairly decent running them together. This was all done off of my ear so maybe I'll invest in a spl meter.

These are the original Bose 601's. They have some "symmetry" type of sound affect that seems to spread things out a bit more when it is active. I've got them running now. Can't report much on how they sound yet, but first impression is that would do well supplying background music. Not much bass, but really spacious mids and highs.

Hmm. My 601 series 2 had puhhhlenty of bass. Watch those leads on the caps, they're very brittle, I had to replace a couple of resistors that the leads simply snapped off of.

Got my Anthem mrx 310 back last week and also picked up a set of Monitor Audio 1's. Got the MA's hooked up to a Yammie M4 on zone 2 and Yammie M80 with Focal Aria 905's. on the main. ABing them, 905 better depth and nicer highs while the MA's seem to have a wider soundstage and better lows. Actually sound fairly decent running them together. This was all done off of my ear so maybe I'll invest in a spl meter.

I've heard lots about those. Sounds like you're having fun.

Hmm. My 601 series 2 had puhhhlenty of bass. Watch those leads on the caps, they're very brittle, I had to replace a couple of resistors that the leads simply snapped off of.

I've heard lots about those. Sounds like you're having fun.

Yes I am. Couple of beers and some of a liberal lucky so having a fine night:bigok:

You guys make me feel normal... thank you!… was having a personal crisis thinking I have too many speakers....

Usher be10
Usher cp-6371
Usher be-718
Martin logan cls2
Jbl 4333A
Jbl 4312
Devore fidelity gibbon 3xl
Paragon the regent

Those above are the stereo speakers.... I am not counting subs or multichannel speakers

I'd love to have more speakers, more amps, more of everything. The nagging question arises however. Would one not be better served by spending their audio funds on the best SINGLE system he can afford?
For many, multiple pieces of gear lead to just this, the weaning process.
For me, nah! Variety is the spice of life! And I'm pretty much at that point of the best systems I can afford, but I'm certainly not done, just content for now. It's taken me years to get where I am with my gear, and I'm having a blast!

After moving into our new home I setup a pair of Warfedale W90's one on each side of the fireplace. Then a set of Imperial 6's at the sides of those. Then a pair of OLA's on top of the 6's. I got that look from my wife. I just smiled and told her to "embrace the horror". :biggrin:
I still have other sets of speakers stuffed into the room with my equipment stash. But I promised no more than three sets at a time in the living room. Its fun to rotate different speakers. Especially when you dust off a pair you haven't listened to for some time and realize "Oh, now I remember why I kept these!" Heck, I have three pair hooked up to a switch at my bench. As far as equipment, other than a couple amps I have parts for but haven't finished yet, I'm done. Except when it comes to speakers. :thumbsup:

After moving into our new home I setup a pair of Warfedale W90's one on each side of the fireplace. Then a set of Imperial 6's at the sides of those. Then a pair of OLA's on top of the 6's. I got that look from my wife. I just smiled and told her to "embrace the horror". :biggrin:
I still have other sets of speakers stuffed into the room with my equipment stash. But I promised no more than three sets at a time in the living room. Its fun to rotate different speakers. Especially when you dust off a pair you haven't listened to for some time and realize "Oh, now I remember why I kept these!" Heck, I have three pair hooked up to a switch at my bench. As far as equipment, other than a couple amps I have parts for but haven't finished yet, I'm done. Except when it comes to speakers. :thumbsup:

I did not need any more speakers but the Wharfedale W60Ds that came my way I could not resist. I am having to substantially change the bedroom around to get them in there and looking good!

27066897_1788134577873148_7834632039178974565_n.jpg

I'm unashamedly, undeniably hooked on Maggies. I have a pair of Infinity's I put together and a couple of others but the Maggies keep me calling me back. A side effect of being seduced by Maggies is upgraditis. This has the result of limiting funds for more speakers :dunno:.

So why did I start this thread? Last night, I pulled out my tiny little NHT Super Zeros, which are the size of a Game of Thrones Season 1-6 box set, or in other words, a TRUE bookshelf. Tiny little things.

Hooked them to my Marantz PM84D, a nice 80 wpc amp (first 30 are in Class A) and played Rumours on cd.

What I heard was a soundstage and depth of field unlike much of anything I've experienced.

What they do is nothing short of astounding, and this was without the sub (which I have, but was too lazy to connect).

What I'm getting at, is this - past a certain level of quality, I'm pretty much okay with what I hear. I enjoy the different presentations.

I am in the honeymoon phase with a new to me pair of planar/ribbon speakers. But I don't think I will ever let my Super Zeroes go. They have the best treble of any soft dome tweeter I have ever heard. And I got three of them for free!

Back
Top Bottom