The Empire 208 reinterpreted: a modern twist on an old spinner

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Redboy, May 24, 2010.

1. dnewma04

dnewma04 The Healer Super Mod Subscriber

Bumping for a rather special DIY effort. I can't believe this thing isn't getting more attention.
  2. Redboy

Redboy a few good watts Subscriber

Well, it's been getting a fair amount of attention at my place. I've been listening to more vinyl than ever before, and I don't see that changing!

Some more pictures of Scott's handiwork for you - here's another angle:

3. Big Bill

Big Bill Summertime Rolls..... Subscriber

That thing is awesome! BTW where did the motor cylinder come from?
  4. ejfud

ejfud Audio Pinhead

An amazing piece of art.

I see you got the silver discs you guys played constantly with Friday installed.
  5. JohnVF

JohnVF Banned

That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
  6. watt

watt no on Subscriber

It got my attention right from the start. (Actually, maybe before the start--I remember Nate alluding to some project he was cooking up before I ever saw the pics.) I just haven't said too much about because I don't know what to say. Other than I want one. :tresbon:
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. Slowhead

Slowhead Active Member

IMO, that is the end of the line. Nothing like owning a work of art that plays records as well. Enjoy, your attention to detail did not go unoticed.
  8. gewoonmaf

gewoonmaf Thrift rat

If it sounds only 1% as good as it looks, you have a winner. What a work of art!
  9. cableguy

cableguy In Twang We Trust Subscriber

Bitchen' Nate!!!
  10. 71Challenger

71Challenger AK Subscriber Subscriber

What, no dust cover?
  11. dnewma04

dnewma04 The Healer Super Mod Subscriber

Dust is what gives vinyl it's magic.
  12. doucanoe

doucanoe Registered Audio Abuser

When first viewing this table, cueing it up and hearing it in action, I was reminded of that old line from the movie Crocodile Dundee.

"Thats not a knife... That's a knife"

Thanks to Scott and Nate, I will now forever view my own turntable as a mere toy ;)

13. Redboy

Hey Bill, everything was machined from aluminum stock by Scott. The guy's a magician! The motor cylinder is a section of aluminum tube with machined aluminum endcaps.

Yeah, they're great! I had some problems initially with the cone feet wobbling around a bit - the Vibrapod "grommets" were a touch soft for the lateral forces that were being exerted on them and the entire table was dancing around like an inebriated seaman. The discs that Scott made up for me have firmed things up perfectly, and now I'm able to level the table properly.

It sounds very nice.

It was fun having it over at your get together Ron, but I don't think I'll be traveling with it much anymore. The whole endeavor was a bit... nerve-wracking. :)
  14. doucanoe

doucanoe Registered Audio Abuser

It was nerve wracking just hooking up speakers and changing out gear in close proximity to it.

I'm really pleased it made it way over and was a joy to listen to but I think your right. That table wasn't designed to be a traveler :D

15. mfrench

mfrench Super Member

This is an epic build.
    Major kudos to my mentor, Scott, a super hero of TT tweaking.

Nate - that has just got to make you smile from ear to ear. My wife even drooled a little, when I showed it to her. She has a sweet spot for that style of table - But she gets these old dragster tire spinners that I put together for her :)
  16. dbCooper

dbCooper Well-Known Member

My 208 is envious!

Great job! :thmbsp:
  17. Rhubarb

Rhubarb a spinnin' an' a grinnin'

Didja ever get another arm on this beaut?
  18. westend

westend Audiopile Subscriber

I hope that we will soon hear the arm in action. I have a long way to go but the journey has started.

Nate set me up at Ron's, said "Lance, you should take a look at my Empire" when we were outside. My reaction was, "That's no Empire", didn't know what else to say. The TT (has it been named?) is a great piece of awesome engineering. The resultant sound speaks for the quality of the build, excellent.:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

Yep, one of the coolest sounding, too.
  19. Redboy

It's been dubbed "the Gumby" by the local AK characters in honor of its builder. :thmbsp:
  20. wajobu

wajobu Boing Boom Tschak Subscriber

Looks great Nate...admiring from afar, as usual! Too bad that you're so far away!

I won't catch-up to what you've been working on, but at last (5 months later...due to a Stereophile article and revised machining parts!) I received a cute little box from Germany today. After all of my various sales...things are starting to come together in somewhat more conventional Garrard-401-land. Headshell, cartridge and plinth all in the works!

Stay tuned!

Attached Files: