The Expanse (SyFy)

soundmotor

super modified
Just finished season 1, well worth it. Happily it was renewed, I was worried. Seems whenever I really like a new sci-fi show it just misses renewal. Failure to attract a wide audience and all that. I've not read the book series so I can't compare. I liked it as it was but am inclined to go get the books now. Anyone else watching it?

TheExpanse_gallery.jpg

Yep. Love the books. One of the authors is George RR Martin's former assistant, and could give his old boss a few lessons on writing quality stuff in a timely manner. The two-author team is putting out a book a year in the same length range as the Song of Ice and Fire books.

This is definitely one of the more faithful book-to-screen adaptions I've seen. Having the authors as co-producers probably helps that. Also, moving Arisavala's introduction up to the start of the story was a good move.

Yeah, I read the books, then watched the series. Good stuff. I'm glad to hear it was renewed.

This is definitely one of the more faithful book-to-screen adaptions I've seen.

I always enjoy solid world building and it must have been really fleshed out in the books to get that level of detail in the SyFy version. Need to get busy on the books now.

Best sci-fi on TV. The science keeps pace with the fiction. Great attention to detail. Down to pouring a cup of coffee in low gravity. As good as it gets. IMO

Had missed Season 1 on SciFi channel - but found it was on Netflix and we binged it around Christmas and were real impressed.
I bought book 1 on Amazon and was REALLY impressed - and went back and bought books 2-5.
Really impressive stuff - I had to buy book 6 in hardcover since its not out in paperback yet -
And the TV show is really impressive!
Book 1 went into part of Season 2 ... this series could go quite a few seasons!

Sadly, I noticed this week's episode was S02 Ep 8 - but fortunately,
they are 13 Episode seasons and not 10 Episode seasons -
but I dunno about waiting a year for season 3!

Season 3 is confirmed. Season 4 is more dicey unless ratings/revenue improve.

Read that yesterday as well, really irked by it. We just renewed our cable deal w/ Verizon and lost SyFy as part of our bundle. That is now in the premium bundle which was enough more loot that we said screw it. We've already got Amazon & Netflix. Because we'd gotten hooked on The Expanse though we bought the 2nd season on Amazon. We'll buy the 3rd too, dedication.

SyFy spent 10 years blowing off core fans w/ wrestling, ghost hunters, & Sharknado. Finally with much fanfare they said "We get it, we hear you." and start putting solid sci-fi back on. With the difficulty finding The Expanse now if you don't have SyFy or the requirement that you buy it outright, why are they surprised at all that they are having trouble reaching an audience now?

^^^
The core audience for good science fiction is getting older and older. :thumbsup:
Yeah, but we are bloody LOYAL to GOOD scifi -
dump the wrestlemania and the poorly done reality shows and give us more GOOD Scifi ....

^^^
The core audience for good science fiction is getting older and older. :thumbsup:

Please provide some evidence for that assertion.

The reason SyFy is having trouble attracting an audience is because they haven't had any good sci-fi. We're talking about a ten year gap between the end of Battlestar Galactica and the Expanse.

The subreddit for the Expanse is quite busy and quite young. The books are great for anybody with an imagination and SyFy has translated them well to TV.

The first half of the first season was a little slow in my opinion however they did a great job of building a nice and complete universe. That work is paying off now with a plot that seems organic enough and true to the books without having to try too hard or really force it down the audience's throats.

I don't know why science fiction doesn't have broader mainstream appeal. I wish it did. The Star Trek universe in particular feels quite incomplete. Fingers crossed for Discovery, especially now that CBS has effectively killed Axanar.

Watched the first series on Amazon Prime and actually liked it more than the books. (rare). Looking forward to watching the second series, happy to pay for good quality SciFi

The reason SyFy is having trouble attracting an audience is because they haven't had any good sci-fi. We're talking about a ten year gap between the end of Battlestar Galactica and the Expanse.

I can't find the original interview but when Sci-Fi became SyFy their new talking head spoke at length on wanting to reach out to new viewers. Something, something, we're more than science nerds, something something broad range of programming... or to that effect. I can barely recall any shows during this interregnum except complete and total crap. As far as attracting an audience, they should be thankful they have any audience based on the decade long dump they took on them. I fully expect more feet of clay.

Season 3 is confirmed. Season 4 is more dicey unless ratings/revenue improve.

3 shows, in order of ratings: Colony (USA), Legion (FX), & The Expanse (SyFy). All three show roughly the same viewer decline which isn't surprising as casual watchers bolt as the season progresses. What is interesting is that The Expanse is so much lower than the others. I wonder how much of that is attributable to Verizon (and perhaps other operators nationwide) bumping SyFy out of their basic channel packages? (Whereas FX & USA are part of the basic channel set for other cable operators.) Anyways, idle thoughts as prepare to be Fireflied.

Sadly, it would seem that Canadian Netflix vieweres don't rate good sci-fi. The Expanse is nowhere to be found on our Netflix. They make it impossible to view the programs we want and then strongarm the internet providers into preventing us from watching through VPNs etc. I call BS.

I don't think Netflix is sitting there going "Hah! That will teach them for living in Canada.".
It isn't in any way in their best interest to limit what you see.

If you want to be angry at someone be angry at the studio that owns the show and won't cut a reasonable deal with Netflix to allow them to show it in Canada.

I'm no attorney, but I'd think that Netflix could be on the hook for a pretty large lawsuit from these same studios if the studios were able to show, in court, that Netflix wasn't taking steps as simple as blocking VPNs from accessing their service to watch shows and movies in areas that they didn't have the licensing to show them.

Back
Top Bottom