The Future for Commercial and Public FM Radio

Like weeds, the FM stations have been growing in our area. Most bend the ear of the older set, and you can tell by the ads that the products/companies are targeted their way in early morning. But as morning moves on, the newer tunes increase until, most of the material is young folk orientated. However, as the sun tends to set, the older tunes tend to creep back in, with the one station offering "The Lounge" wherein the crooners take over, and the softer ballads rule the roost. The occasional big band hits the sound waves, bringing back times of days past when life was simpler and slower then. All organic...no computer sound.

As per the AM stations? I tend to gravitate towards the late morning, early afternoon, taking in some debates, discussions, light classic or science related stuff that interests me. There is the one station that does only the 50's-80's sound 24/7. The rest of the AM's offer the above.

The greater part of my listening is from my own collection, that never ceases to enlarge, but gets condensed more and more. A true oxymoron for me. It's been quite the journey from the 78's to the FLAC of today.

Q

No, its not commercials all the time. The Morning show is on from about 5:40 to 10:00am, then its classic rock (from vinyl) all day long. Sure there are commercials, someone has to pay the bills.

My only gripe with KQ is they seem to have a pretty limited playlist. I’d like to hear some deep cuts — or anything to add a little variety.

like print newspapers going digital-only, FM will slowly die. Norway discontinued FM
broadcasts.

There used to be lots of classical music stations on FM but nowadays, only one per market.
and in the Bay area many converted to ethnic broadcasts. on both AM and FM.

the only good news is that FM will be worldwide available through the internet.
and sometimes you can get classical music on the upper channels of a Cable system.

I listen to FM everyday. The KQRS morning show in the morning, then welfare radio in the afternoon. Occasionally, AM is fun to listen to for awhile. (I collect Panasonic AM radios).

What’s welfare radio?

There was talk of NPR failing until the previous budget was passed where they added funding.

I'm thinking FM will survive simply because local stations answer to a local market unlike conglomerates, internet, and satellite radio can.

Local news about the crime in your neighborhood, local weather and traffic reports and, of course, local advertisers can reach their target market, you. Likewise, they can have music and local DJ as well.

I thought perhaps by now we might have heard something from someone across one pond or another or north, or south.

Silence so far from AK members in the UK.

Below is an excerpt about Australia, followed by a link to that source. Data on South America too might be found there. Not sure.

"Broadcasting is regulated by Australian Communications and Media Authority – ACMA . Currently there are almost 300 commercial radio stations (with over 20 networks) and more than 400 community radio stations in Australia, together with ABC and SBS broadcasting on 3200 FM, 390 AM frequencies and 15 DAB multiplexes. Radio stations identify on-air with call signs, begining with single-digit number indicating the state or territory, followed by two or more letters (e.g. 1WAY, 2DAY or 3ABCFM). Primary language on radio is English, with many multilingual stations."

http://worldradiomap.com/map/oceania

Last edited:
FM won't die. If anything the amount of content has increased. There are still some local independent stations with fewer commercials - and many stations have commerical free music or programming on secondary HD channels. People spend a lot of time in their cars, until that changes FM will be around.

Let them fail. If they'd shut their political mouth, I'd care more. That just doesn't go for them either. Everyone shut the hell up and just play the music.

Political? Like you've made this thread? Nice hijack.

Political? Like you've made this thread? Nice hijack.

You are the one doing the hijacking.

If I were to tune into Rush Limbaugh, I'd expect political yak. If I tune into NPR, I expect music. I didn't tune into their stations to hear their very one sided point of view. BTW, I also shut them off when they start playing opera.

I'm listening to "Pipe Dreams" right now. Its a great program featuring pipe organ music. Just music, no opinions....it's perfect.

Gentleman. From a trained journlist, which among other things I am, read the definition of the Fourth Estate and then cease and desist. Put aside for the purposes of this disussion the quality of how the job is being performed at this time in our country and abroad.

Now back to our regular programming.

Religious orginzations have a presence on FM in the U.S. and therefore may weigh though I do not know the numbers. For example in Pittsburgh, We Are One Body One Body in Christ Catholic Radio 106.7 FM.

Morning jazz on WPFW in DC area. Stream it if you like jazz on sundays. It’s listener funded so no commercials but they do a bit of fund raising segment. 50k watt transmitter.

As a subscriber listener to Public Radio, I would like to think it will endure with a constant reliable listener base. Evangelical Religious FM will likewise retain a listener base where the dial isn't overloaded with them for their market. As for commercial radio, stations that can make a living serving a market should survive, corporate buyouts looking to make a killing in broadcasting as investments will continue to disrupt the industry and the marginally successful stations with a steady if small market they turn. Stations on the brink will continue to turn over or 'go dark'.

Back
Top Bottom