The greatest amps circa 1977-80?

Plugin

Greetings,

I know this is always a thorny question when pertaining to actual products, but since we now have 30 years in retrospect, it might be a little easier to find a consensus on equipment that have withstood the test of time, say a Top Five?
I've just come back from a listening session using a pair of Proacs and a Micromega transport/DAC player as constants. First up was a Technics SU-8600 which sounded just sublime. We then switched the Technics for a Bryston 3B for comparisons. The technics was far more "musical''. The Brystons were much more clearer and very ''intimidating'' sounding at first, but you eventually lose interest in the music as they were much colder sounding. This was no surprise for those who've heard these before. We then put in a Pioneer SA-7500II and it was an immediate relief to have the musicality back. The Pioneer was was far from neutral as there seemed to be a boost in both the bass region around 80Hz and the highs at 10Khz or so. The soundstage however, was huge and stable. We then put back the Technics and it was apparent what a great amp this was. It sounded pretty neutral, but extremely musical, making you want to keep listening to the music. It was a moving experience!
So the SU-8600, definitely in my Top Five!

I bought my first amp, a Technics SU-V2 back in 1980. It was from their "New Class A" line and it rocked. The SU-V2 was only rated at 40 wpc. I like the whole Technics line from that era. Well made and good sounding. I only wish that I could get one of those amps again but lately they are going for a good amount of cash.

The Technics SU-8099 is my pic for an integrated along with the Pioneer SA9800.

Both are stunning in sonics and appearance.

the Technics V2 is and still is a GREAT amp .. but thats coz i love all Technics .. long live the mighty SVI Power Chip

I've got a lot of good amps from that era but of all the amps I've ever owned, I'd have to say the Nikko Alpha 650 is head and shoulders above the rest.

Like other companies, Nikko ran the gammut from low end economy stuff to higher end gear. In the case of the Nikko Alpha 650, they went all out. Dual torroidal transformers, glorious Sanken output transistors along with a plethora of well designed top shelf components resulting in one of the most pleasing, transparent sounding amplifiers to come from that era. IMHO, it's ability to amplify a source is nothing short of STELLAR.

For integrateds, most people would probably put the Sansui AU-919 and Kenwood KA-917 at or near the top of the heap, excepting the stratospheric AU-X1 and L-02A. And anything Accuphase has to be up there, too.

To me, they are:
Not in any particular order,
Power Amps:
Kenwood Supreme 700M, 600
Marantz 250
Marantz 500
Pioneer Spec 4, 3, 2, 1
Integrateds:
Kenwood KA-9100, 8100, 7100
Marantz 1250, 1060
Marantz 1152DC
Pioneer SA-9800, SA-9500, SA-8500, and also the Series II's
Receivers:
Pioneer SX-1980
Marantz 2500, 2600, 2385
Marantz 2275, 2285
Pioneer SX-1280, SX-1250, SX-5590, SX-5580
Kenwood KR-9400, KR-9600, KR-9050, KR-9060, KR-10000 Series I, II, & III, Super Eleven, Eleven GX, Model Nine, Nine GX
Technics SA-600
Setton, of which I do not know model #'s, but they are sweet.
Rotel RX-1603
Harman-Kardon Citation Series
And many more which I'd like to mention, but can't remember.

Last edited:
I think the Sansui AU-919 is right for this list, but I think the Technics SU-V9 is too new by a year or so.

Mitsubishi DA-A10DC W/meters. Gotta remember the big Mitsu's. These are top notch power amps with stunning sound and power.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
SU-8600: Just a great value in features and watts. Does a lot of things well. Was not unusual to find it for $100 or less. If you like your cymbals and still get your punchy bass you can look a long time for something that does the full range as well.

It is different sounding than the SU-V9 and SU-8080 which are warmer. It has more in common with the sound of the SU-7700 and SU-7300 (whose only fault is it doesn't allow powering 2 pairs of speakers simultaneously).

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Sansui's too! G-6700, 7700, 8700, 9700, 6000, 7000, 8000, 9000, & the giant behemoths, G-22000 & G-33000.

There's a lot of love for the big Japanese amps in this thread. I personally preferred the Dynaco ST-416 to most of the Japanese amps, with the caveat that it sounded much better with the front-end filters, pots and Dynaguard bypassed than with them in-circuit. Thankfully the 416 had a handy front-panel button to perform that function.

The big Heathkit amps (AA-1640 and AA-1800) and the Ampzilla were also excellent, as was the McIntosh MC-2105 that ekmanning5 nominated.

Back
Top Bottom