The 'heavyweight' of my Sui litter...

BLAH BLAH

Hi guys thought i would share this recent acquistion with you all...

(i mean if i share it with my friends i just get weird looks and blank stares...hey guys i just got a Sansui AU-111...yesssssssss?!?!?....automatic or manual?!??!...vintage motor-bike?!?!)

Thanks to the usual suspects...
Arthur my friend of russian persuasion who loves his vintage hi-fi equipment and alerted me to the possibilty of snaring a SR-929...now spinning my vinyl!
(The money from the SR-929 went towards buying Arthurs dream speakers...Yamaha NS-2000 speakers...i wonder what he's after now...he's not saying...must be big?!?)

And now Arthur was gushing to me about a Sansui AU-111...its a beauty...believe me...the best i have seen...look...LOOK...no marks...in original condition...240v...sounds beautifully...never seen one like this...95% mint...the last one i sold was not as good as this!!!...i dont want to sell this beauty...believe me...smiles and copious grand hand movements...but i need the ca$h...Arthur you always need the ca$h!

Arthur missed his calling as a used car salesman...but when he gushes you know to stop and listen...
Arthur...how much?!?!!...an arm and a leg!!!...okkkk....
More Russian Mayo...okkkk...
Long story made short...i bought it...a Sui AU-111 mine! Wow...nobody told me it weighed a ton!!!
Listen to this Accuphase...beautiful...smooth and fast...i can get you one in good condition!..
Its nice but No thanks Arthur!

Dallas my local Tech who rescued my lil runt au-222...took one look at the AU-111 Its got a sub woofer outlet?!? nice...that looks a keeper!
But those speaker connections are ratty and loose...replace that power cord...the rca's old...tight and tired...power switch was from a guitar switch you stood on
...explains my sore thumb as i turned it on! (Arthur!!!!!)
Dallas...i'm not going to drill and cut holes into the back of that Japanese clunky steel...i'll work around it somehow..
Week later...i pulled the front panel of to fix the power switch but the balance dial was super glued onto the shaft of the ...technical mumbo jumbo...and it broke as i tried to get it off! :(
Dallas...its okay i used a quality one from...technical mumbo jumbo...i reglued the dial to the shaft and it fits and works perfectly! Replaced some leaky caps...you know somebody has worked on this unit cos Sansui used gray caps...see the colour ones! :)
That Tape Head rca outlet is now an aux!

Oh good...cos i wanted a spare aux for my phono pre-amp...my understanding is you dont plug a phono unit into vintage phono rca outlets?!? That's true!
Replaced the Tubes with Russian...they are quality made for the Red Army...you did'nt make faulty tubes for the Red Army and live to tell about it!
And a power switch just like the one on the lil runt 222...japanese power switches are notorious!

How much Dallas..?!?!...it's been on my work bench for a week and i want my bench space back...okkkk...
An arm and a leg...okkkk....:( :)

We spend the next half hour putting the case back on...finding the right screws...Dallas gives me some coloured heat shrink plastic to cover the speaker ends into the new rcas...avoid electrical shorts..banana plugs...and a CD McRae sings Monk...and we listen to...talk about...Monk...
Dallas...be careful...as one of my friend's said to me...once the Tubes get to you...your gone!
Now its home...and i'm listening...and the first impressions are spaciousness and air...a lightness..depth..
Not as firm as the 999...but nice...okkkkk....
But those castor wheels...fascinating Japanese logic...cannot take my eyes of them! Very Monkish! :)
20170916_124317.jpg 20170916_124407.jpg 20170916_124419.jpg 20170916_124444.jpg 20170916_124509.jpg

Last edited:
Clean looking. Congratulations, How does the E70's sound on the AU-111 ?. I had a set with the AU-919, back in the late 70's, kept cooking the bass driver, expensive,. Liked the look as well.

A "Holy Grail" amp for sure. Congratulations.

I don't see a serial number.

- Pete

thanks for the nice story. I really should fix mine up and give it a listen; I still haven't heard mine off of the bench. I am kind of waiting to get it rebuilt fully before I compare it to the AU-70 and AU-777A. Ah.... another in the list of ongoing projects...

Clean looking. Congratulations, How does the E70's sound on the AU-111 ?. I had a set with the AU-919, back in the late 70's, kept cooking the bass driver, expensive,. Liked the look as well.

Thank you...clean face yes with some finger smudges...not sure how to remove those...maybe windex...wd40...not sure...
E70's sound...?!?...with all controls on the 111 set to zero...and playing relaxin' with the miles davis quintet...on CD...
Everything is light nothing boomy especially the bass...clear and detailed is the audio...though the treble especially miles on trumpet does sound a tad bright
and i am not sure whether its the recording or the tweeter of the E70...piano and drums nice...sax tends to loudness not as much as the trumpet...
This is a Prestige CD from Japan recording...
Maybe RV Gelder produced the trumpet and sax more forward of the backing musos in the quintet...i dont know..
I do know that i like the E70's unstrained detail..
I like the E70's i use them all the time except for Rock music then i hook up the SP5000's for serious punch!
I like the bling look of the E70's so much that i bought a set of E90's still being repaired...another set of E70 and 50's...
I have a 919 somewheres i ought to hook them up for a listen sometime...but at the moment the 111 is superb...
I have read on audio sites that the E series were prone to damage their tweeters when played loud...so it's a suprise to me you cooked your bass driver first..
And i can understand that you did cos the E's are not a boomy bass speaker...
The E's for me have an elegant unstrained sound except for the occasional bright treble...great for jazz listening...

Those tiny wheels.

You can use it as a skateboard!

giphy.gif

Great amplifier. Enjoy! :)

I don't quite agree with the placement of the +/- banana sockets- it doesn't match the panel markings at all. Should be left above right like the inputs. And the 2 inputs have been lost...

I really dislike butchered rear panels- sorry.

Back
Top Bottom