The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Where do I purchase DeOxit?

T.Z.

Radio Shack carries it ( they are pretty spendy) as will almost any electronic's supplier (also usally a little spendy)
Another great local source would be a Guitar Center (very good prices) or a Fye's.

if you have to order it look to the bottom of the forums page for Parts Express one of the AK sponsors carries it.

Radio Shack carries it ( they are pretty spendy) as will almost any electronic's supplier (also usally a little spendy)
Another great local source would be a Guitar Center (very good prices) or a Fye's.

if you have to order it look to the bottom of the forums page for Parts Express one of the AK sponsors carries it.

Can any fellow Canadians confirm if they've seen it in Radio Shack? I asked last time I was there and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. So where do you get DeOxit in Canada?

As usual, another great job by Arkay. Thanks for sharing your knowledge as well as your gift for writing.

You might consider, as an alternative to a separate container for each group of screws, that you use an ice tray. Keep an empty compartment between each of those used to contain screws, small knobs, etc., and label with small sticky notes.

Hadn't tried the spoons before. Good idea. Just make sure there isn't a set screw before using the spoons (or a screwdriver, says the fellow who insists on learning from his own mistakes:stupid:).

Regards,

D-Ray

Sticky idea

Here's an idea that might convince the powers that be to make this a sticky. It appears that there are an abundance of stickies in the general audio forum, such that if many more are added (at least without some pruning), it would be hard to find the new posts. Since the gear that usually benefits from deoxit is vintage gear, move this to the vintage audio forum and make it a sticky there.

If that doesn't work, how about everyone who has found this thread useful, take turns to make sure that it gets bumped every couple of days. You know, united we stand and stuff.

Regards,

D-Ray

I thought DIY would be the logical place for this to be a sticky... my bribe still stands ;)

I thought DIY would be the logical place for this to be a sticky... my bribe still stands ;)

I hear ya there, but I thought DIY was more for construction or modification, where this is simply something that restores the sound of vintage gear, even for some who would not consider themselves DIYers. In any event, it deserves to be seen by as many users as would use it.

Regards,

D-ray

So here is another couple questions.

Is it better (or necessary) to get the DN5 and GN5 (red and gold 5% solution respectively) than the regular D5 and G5. The "N" as I understand is "non-drip". the "non-N" is standard stuff - and DeOxit web page makes mention of using the standard stuff when you want flushing action and the pot / switch is removed from the equipment.

Another question. Instead of buying the bottle of the DeOxit in addition to the spray can for doing RCA plugs and misc. jacks, can you not just spray the cleaner onto swabs / pipe cleaners - maybe inside a plastic container to control overspray and allow you to wipe up and use overspray, before it evaporates?

So here is another couple questions.

Is it better (or necessary) to get the DN5 and GN5 (red and gold 5% solution respectively) than the regular D5 and G5. The "N" as I understand is "non-drip". the "non-N" is standard stuff - and DeOxit web page makes mention of using the standard stuff when you want flushing action and the pot / switch is removed from the equipment.

Another question. Instead of buying the bottle of the DeOxit in addition to the spray can for doing RCA plugs and misc. jacks, can you not just spray the cleaner onto swabs / pipe cleaners - maybe inside a plastic container to control overspray and allow you to wipe up and use overspray, before it evaporates?

For cleaning RCA inputs, I spray the Deoxit on an old toothbrush and scrub down the RCAs with that. Another dental device helps with the inside - a brush for cleaning between teeth does a good job getting inside the RCA jacks.

Regards,

D-Ray

:thmbsp::thmbsp:

StickyStickySticky.

Call it a lifetime achievement award for Arkay's always articulate and worth reading posts. :D

Thanks for the info for us newbies who are still finding there way around. Its good info for all.

Van- for cleaning tuners, I'm gonna guess you mean the tuning capacitors. As they are such critical devices, you should just as well leave them alone. It is possible to detune the reciever by spraying contact cleaner in there. I have 80 year old radios that still outperform most of the modern stuff, and I've never touched the tuning mechanism.

I love this Deoxit primer, but I would avoid the relay cleaning steps. At work, we have been trained to never, never, pop them open, and if there is that one time where you must, to only use specialty tools for messing with them-ie point benders, burnishing tools, etc. So if your amp/reciever is otherwise working, I'd just as well leave that part alone.

Awesome, now would this also apply to other components, such as DBX gear, like 3BX, Equalizers, etc.

Tape decks also get scratchy pots

Very good info and thanks very much. Did my first yesterday with great results. SA9500. Now for the SA9100. The Deoxit stuff is amazing.

2 Things:

I have never used deoxit before - is there ANY way someone could show pictures of what is being described? I really do not want to screw this up, and I only have 1 shot at it! :thmbsp:

Secondly, I have read on other websites that using the chemical cleaner can shatter the plastic stops inside the volume control (and other control knobs?). It was recommended to use fine grade machine oil in lieu of a chemical cleaner. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

In all yesterday I did a SA9500, SA9100, SA8800, and a SG9500 Equalizer. Not one problem and everything cleaned up really nice. Everything sounds like it did when it was new. I had one toggle on the 9100 that took a second squirt. It was my first time using this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom