The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

I use a mascara brush to clean the inside and outside of all RCA inputs and outputs. You can get like 10000 mascara brushes on amazon for a nickel.

So you all really don’t recommend the D5 (5%) spray?
Not sure if the same but used Deoxit D5 plus Gold on all the switches and outputs on a Technics SA 600 and it cleared up all the scratchines. It was so bad, I did not think it would work without actually disassembling the switches. But it did! Also had some overspray on the boards and cleaned best I could. I too used mascara brush on the outputs/inputs, q-tips and heavy absorbent towel elsewhere. I have owned the receiver since new and surprised how heavy dusty it was inside. The switches were an issue for several years, but no longer!

So you all really don’t recommend the D5 (5%) spray?
I used D5 successfully on older potentiometers in the past and it worked great. But Caig (Deoxit maker) don't recommend it on vintage equipment (see this post). You may get good results but it can also be risky.

Not sure if the same but used Deoxit D5 plus Gold on all the switches and outputs on a Technics SA 600 and it cleared up all the scratchines. It was so bad, I did not think it would work without actually disassembling the switches. But it did! Also had some overspray on the boards and cleaned best I could. I too used mascara brush on the outputs/inputs, q-tips and heavy absorbent towel elsewhere. I have owned the receiver since new and surprised how heavy dusty it was inside. The switches were an issue for several years, but no longer!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any switches have carbon in them. I myself use the 5% stuff (D5, G5, F5 etc.) on switches and outputs since those are usually "metal only" contact and 5% stuff provide a good flushing action. However, if people don't want to buy 5% and 100% products (can become expensive) and want to choose between them, for vintage equipment, it's recommended to get the 100% stuff. The latter can be used on everything without any harm.

I just aquired an SA600 that was so sick that I believed that it may need serious work.
No right Channel,
Loudness switch caused Excessively loud distorted sound on the only working Channel.
Tuner Dial tight
Volume Dial tight

First I used my air compressor and blew the dust off and out of Everything then used CRC Electronic cleaner safe for plastic then turned it on for 33 hours at low level after confirmation of everything working.

And then I Took apart the faceplate
Had to reglue the Remote Speaker switch guide to the faceplate.
Then I lubed all switches and pots with faceplate off...easy work, nice engineering!

https://goo.gl/images/gKBu4u
$3.00 at Home Depot
71pcqT8xoDL._SL1500_.jpg

I thought I'd revisit this thread as I just ordered some more Caig Deoxit products. I had previously bought one of their kits that has the D100 plus fader and gold products with various handy foam stick and brush applicators. My system was missing the high end detail that gives presence and 3D imaging, so I cleaned all of the contact points and even the cable ends.

Good to know that Caig suggests not using D5 on older gear. I love their stuff, it really works.

Edit: BTW I looked into the CRC 2.26 stuff above, as you can see it’s label calls it a lubricant. And on their site in the description, no where does it claim to remove oxidization. So its a different product altogether than DeoxIT, and the two products are for different purposes. At least by what the CRC site says.

Last edited:
513B907E-A0E9-45E8-A76A-76E45A8029AA.jpeg
I just aquired an SA600 that was so sick that I believed that it may need serious work.
No right Channel,
Loudness switch caused Excessively loud distorted sound on the only working Channel.
Tuner Dial tight
Volume Dial tight

First I used my air compressor and blew the dust off and out of Everything then used CRC Electronic cleaner safe for plastic then turned it on for 33 hours at low level after confirmation of everything working.

And then I Took apart the faceplate
Had to reglue the Remote Speaker switch guide to the faceplate.
Then I lubed all switches and pots with faceplate off...easy work, nice engineering!

https://goo.gl/images/gKBu4u
$3.00 at Home Depot
View attachment 1448652
Sounds like we had the same switch issues. The worst part for me was the dial tuner cord came off and I was clueless as to how put back together. I freaked out. However, I was able to find a service manual on-line with a diagram! Also replaced the bulbs with green led from Dave AK member (also purchased orig white bulbs) Bulb replacement was very simple. Everything works great and very much appreciate this website!

View attachment 1451948

Sounds like we had the same switch issues. The worst part for me was the dial tuner cord came off and I was clueless as to how put back together. I freaked out. However, I was able to find a service manual on-line with a diagram! Also replaced the bulbs with green led from Dave AK member (also purchased orig white bulbs) Bulb replacement was very simple. Everything works great and very much appreciate this website!
IMG_20190314_155056418~2.jpg
This is great for getting inside areas that are out of reach when getting the dust out

A
View attachment 1451948

And initially I believed that this SA600 was going to be the "Donor" for my precious mint condition SA600 that shorted out last June after my meter probe shorted out the output transistors. .
But this 600 is 98% as good..
The wrecked 600 seamed a little bit more powerful than this one...

D5 just rescued the balance+level controls on my Yamaha C6 pre-amp . Just short bursts are needed .

I’m glad you said “dust out” and not kidney stones! 2 things, I would put a rubber sleeve on the metal part to not potentially short out any circuitry and 2, if using a compressor, make sure you bleed the water out.
Great suggestions!

What do you think about shrink tube instead of rubber?
I have plenty of shrink tube

I just purchased a Fisher 295 off of Ebay. It worked as it stated, but the dust was remarkable. I swore I saw a dinosaur skeleton before an unexpected quick pulse of the air from the kid. I tested it before we did anything and it all worked... amazingly enough, yet there was scratchiness and in and out issues when moving between the controls...

My son and I opened it up this weekend and cleaned about 3 cubic yards of dust off of the thing first. Then I followed the directions in this thread. (I've done it before without commenting ;)) Man, I am telling you, this thing is sweet. All of the tuning and inputs work without any scratchiness. Chrystal clear now.

My son is turning 7 and this unit is his with a turntable and some baby Advents (...that I'd like to sell for something else.) we've been finding vinyl for about 6 months and I just bought him the Tom Petty Greatest Hits LP, so he probably won't be leaving his room in the coming future. :) Just like all of us when we were his age.

I have been foiled in my attempted to just spray some potentiometers. They were sealed. I figured I had nothing to lose. I drilled a tiny hole in each pot. Used the deoxit and it was all well again.

I just purchased a Fisher 295 off of Ebay. It worked as it stated, but the dust was remarkable. I swore I saw a dinosaur skeleton before an unexpected quick pulse of the air from the kid. I tested it before we did anything and it all worked... amazingly enough, yet there was scratchiness and in and out issues when moving between the controls...

My son and I opened it up this weekend and cleaned about 3 cubic yards of dust off of the thing first. Then I followed the directions in this thread. (I've done it before without commenting ;)) Man, I am telling you, this thing is sweet. All of the tuning and inputs work without any scratchiness. Chrystal clear now.

My son is turning 7 and this unit is his with a turntable and some baby Advents (...that I'd like to sell for something else.) we've been finding vinyl for about 6 months and I just bought him the Tom Petty Greatest Hits LP, so he probably won't be leaving his room in the coming future. :) Just like all of us when we were his age.
Thank you for sharing yours and sons experiance.

Can I say that I hate, loath, despise the quick flip spray tube. It worked for about the first 10% of the can. Now it just dumps deoxit all over the internals.

Has anyone tried these products? they seem like they would be a good/cheaper/more available substitute to Deoxit. The CRC site says it "Leaves a fine, microscopic corrosion proof and lubricating film."

Attachments

• 1D261_AS01.jpg
    1D261_AS01.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 6KDT5_AS01.jpg
    6KDT5_AS01.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 20
Has anyone tried these products? they seem like they would be a good/cheaper/more available substitute to Deoxit. The CRC site says it "Leaves a fine, microscopic corrosion proof and lubricating film."
Some folks have used it with good results, but most of the time the fix was not lasting long. IMHO, don't waste your time and money and just go with the real deal at first.

Back
Top Bottom