The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Looking at it again, I would expect you have to be careful of the Canadian Tire stuff and its effect on plastics .... may be pretty harsh stuff.

One would think that Long and McQuade could bring the Deoxit in??

Yes i am sure they could order it in......but i needed it then and there....not in 2 weeks.........

When cleaning the various control knobs on the Pioneer SX 1250 is it necessary to remove the faceplate? Can the volume pot be cleaned without removing the pot? I have heard you need to remove this pot to clean it properly.

Thanks a million! I have a vintage Nikko I've been meaning to clean and this tutorial is going to come in very handy. The Nikko sounds great, when it works. Problem is that one speaker goes out occasionally, and can be "rescued" by turning the volume up quickly a few clicks (then back down)...seems like a cleaning should fix it right up! Anyway, just wanted to say thanks. :thmbsp:

Great Sticky,
For an old newbie wanting to clean up 38 year old Sansui while awaiting a new addition this is just what I needed...some guiding advice.

Thanks much...........

Yes i am sure they could order it in......but i needed it then and there....not in 2 weeks.........

Hey Cog, The LXI series in your avatar...if you don't mind, tell me the story on that.. I thought I was the only off-beat collector of those? :thmbsp:

Hey Cog, The LXI series in your avatar...if you don't mind, tell me the story on that.. I thought I was the only off-beat collector of those? :thmbsp:

Well ts a bit OT for this thread....but i found it at my local thrift about a year ago, gave them $7 and carried it home, after a bit of TLC it works fine exept for the FM being low on one ch.......but apart from that it sounds fantastic......built by sanyo, like a tank.........

Well ts a bit OT for this thread....but i found it at my local thrift about a year ago, gave them $7 and carried it home, after a bit of TLC it works fine exept for the FM being low on one ch.......but apart from that it sounds fantastic......built by sanyo, like a tank.........

Cool... Don't wanna be off topic, but I have three LXI series, two Sears and one Montgmery Ward.. one looks a lot like yours but it has a five band EQ and is a Digital Syn. Tuner, 170 Watts Total.. very well built, another smaller 120 watts total, five band EQ.. and the Montgomery Wards is very nice and heavy, about 55 lbs with built in TT, fourteen Band EQ, Cassette and 570 Watts Total, which makes it at least 150 wpc I guess..

I was told Fisher made some of those also.. didn't know Sanyo did too..

Cool... Don't wanna be off topic, but I have three LXI series, two Sears and one Montgmery Ward.. one looks a lot like yours but it has a five band EQ and is a Digital Syn. Tuner, 170 Watts Total.. very well built, another smaller 120 watts total, five band EQ.. and the Montgomery Wards is very nice and heavy, about 55 lbs with built in TT, fourteen Band EQ, Cassette and 570 Watts Total, which makes it at least 150 wpc I guess..

I was told Fisher made some of those also.. didn't know Sanyo did too..

The one i have is about 50wpc....

Cleaner residue

I haven't seen any response to the issue of DeoxIt leaving a residue. As far as I know alcohol would not remove oxidation, it would only be a degreaser. So would it be best to use DeoxIt then use something like the alcohol spray discussed to clean out the DeoxIt? If so what should be done next? Gold and then lube, either one only or neither?

How do you guys feel about CRC QD?.

I bought some from NAPA auto parts,can looks just like this but also has NAPA on the label and says safe for plastics.
http://www1.epinions.com/review/CRC_5102_QD_Electronic_Cleaner_11_Wt_Oz/content_454243683972

41ZDRIzNu8L._SS500_.jpg

The Audio Muting switch on my Yamaha CA-600 has to be wiggled sometimes to get the right channel to come in. I have used De-Oxit on it twice and still had no luck. I read somewhere to use a small ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry to clean it. Obviously remove it from the amp and pop it in. They said to mix a bit of Simple Green with distilled water. Anyone tried or heard of this or any other suggestions? De-Oxit worked perfectly on cleaning all the other pots and switches.

Before there was DeOxit, there was THE REAL THING, Cramolin (as re-packed by Monster Cable here in 1982).

p3090412.jpg

What is that, never heard of it.
Caig Labs used to import the German contact cleaner (red) lubricant (blue) Cramolin. They put it in aerosol cans as Cramolin R5 (5% Cramolin). Many confusing stories, but they (Caig) began to package it as De-Ox-It D5, finally making it themselves. Many say it's as good as Cramolin (not imported into the US), other say it isn't as good.

Back
Top Bottom