The Inner Light, Star Trek TNG, S5E25, The greatest Episode of the whole series

What made the Inner Light so good was it was pure story telling and did not rely on junk science and hyperbabble.

Yes it got better, but even they were known to write some stinkers.

Janeway had a bigger pair than Picard. As an aside:

As ST captains go,

#1 Kirk - I love the way he interpreted the prime directive. I loved his solution for peace in, “A taste of Armageddon”.

#2 Archer - It was only the “Prime Suggestion” in his day. I think Kirk learned a lot from him. :D

#3 Janeway - she had a real ship not a space station

#4 Sisko - He got a lot of mileage out of that subcompact called the Defiant.

#5 Picard - Picard gets the #5 slot because he did not send Wesley back to junior high, in the first episode.

I know there isn't much love for Voyager, but BBC America runs weekly episodes, and there are some gems.

Maybe not of the caliber of Inner Light, but just got done watching "Distant Origin" that has a very cohesive, riveting, and thought provoking final act.

This is what makes sci fi great and cause one to pause and ponder the parallels to the human condition. For those with open eyes, one 'sees the mirror'...and the reflection.

Great stuff.

I liked Voyage a lot, one episode that stands out to me is "Course: Oblivion" episode 18 from season 5.
Don't want to give anything away but things literally start to disintegrate on Voyage for reasons unknown (until later in the episode).

I know there isn't much love for Voyager, but BBC America runs weekly episodes, and there are some gems.

Maybe not of the caliber of Inner Light, but just got done watching "Distant Origin" that has a very cohesive, riveting, and thought provoking final act.

This is what makes sci fi great and cause one to pause and ponder the parallels to the human condition. For those with open eyes, one 'sees the mirror'...and the reflection.

Great stuff.

I agree Distant Origin (S3E23) is one of the best of the entire Voyager series. The turnaround of dinosaurs studying the bones of a human like paleontologists now studies the bones of dinosaurs is thought provoking.

I agree Distant Origin (S3E23) is one of the best of the entire Voyager series. The turnaround of dinosaurs studying the bones of a human like paleontologists now studies the bones of dinosaurs is thought provoking.

I also agree, I did not watch a lot of Voyager after the first couple of seasons but I stumbled on that one and was very impressed.

And yes, The Inner Light might have been the best Trek episode.

Some of the Voyager episodes were very good, others not so much. Pretty much what you can say for most shows that ran for multiple years. I'm bad about remembering names and specific episodes but I know the dinosaur paleo one you speak of. That was good, and interesting in the way that good sci-fi is meant to be.

For me, the best TNG episode was the two part Chain of Command story.

Patrick Stewart pulled out all the stops for that one. Inner Light is a close second. The last half of TNG's run had some very good episodes that were well written, acted and directed.

FYI this ep is scheduled to air Thursday Feb 1 at 1 pm Eastern on BBCA

never watched much but I'm going to record this one.

I have a memory of a ST:TNG ep in which they find the remains of a lost race (Hooskritz? or something like that) and one old man wandering around. they're trying to figure out what happened to them and at the end the old man admits he killed them ('I killed ALL the Hooskritz."), suggesting he somehow took out the whole bunch, possibly some on other planets. Picard wisely decides to leave the guy alone ('not for us to judge his guilt or innocence').
any ideas which ep this was?

I have a memory of a ST:TNG ep in which they find the remains of a lost race (Hooskritz? or something like that) and one old man wandering around. they're trying to figure out what happened to them and at the end the old man admits he killed them ('I killed ALL the Hooskritz."), suggesting he somehow took out the whole bunch, possibly some on other planets. Picard wisely decides to leave the guy alone ('not for us to judge his guilt or innocence').
any ideas which ep this was?
The Survivors - Season 3

that's it!

the aliens were called the Husnock

John Anderson, who played the old man, was the pilot in the Twilight Zone episode about the plane lost in time; he was also the alien in the Outer Limits episode 'Nightmare'. great character actor.

I just watched The Survivors on Netflix, while I thought it was good it wasn't my favorite episode.

While I was in a STTNG mood and browsing season three I also watched Yesterdays Enterprise, to me that is a great episode.
It's seems many of the best episodes are based around time travel of some sort.

In Yesterdays Enterprise an older version of the Enterprise goes forward 22 years to Picard's time, where The Federation has been at war with the Klingons for 20 years and only Guinan can sense that something is very wrong.

https://them0vieblog.com/2014/02/14/star-trek-the-next-generation-yesterdays-enterprise-review/

Back
Top Bottom