The Joy of a Japanese Screwdriver

LBPete

Rolling Along
Subscriber
Have you ever noticed how poorly a conventional Phillips screwdriver fits Japanese screws? It's not your imagination. Phillips is actually a trade name for a specific configuration of a + type drive. Although it's the standard for this type of cross point drive in most of the world, it's not used in the Japan Industrial Standard JIS.

All of the cross point screws in Sansui and other Japanese audio equipment and cars are using the JIS standard and a conventional Phillips screwdriver just doesn't fit properly and often leads to damaging the cross point drive.

I recently bought this JIS +2 100 screw driver and I'm in love. It fits these little screws and it's a joy to use. It has a nice magnetic tip to add to it's utility.

This Vessel JIS +2 screwdriver is available on eBay or Amazon. The price varies quite a bit so shop around for the best deal. I got this one for about $8 delivered on a very slow boat from Japan. I've never seen a JIS screwdriver made or distributed by a US company.

Screw Drivers Cropped.jpg

My previous favorite screwdriver is also shown in the picture. It's a knock off of a Craftsman screwdriver that I found in the street when I was in high school. It has no markings on it but fits JIS screws properly. It's from the early 1970s, a time when knock offs were made in Japan. Until now, it was the screwdriver I always reached for when working on Sansui but I like this Vessel better. Get one. You will be amazed how well it works.

- Pete

Good information. When I took the belt cover off of my RT-909 I had a lot of trouble and for awhile I didn't think I would be able to get them all out.

Have you ever noticed how poorly a conventional Phillips screwdriver fits Japanese screws? It's not your imagination. Phillips is actually a trade name for a specific configuration of a + type drive. Although it's the standard for this type of cross point drive in most of the world, it's not used in the Japan Industrial Standard JIS.

All of the cross point screws in Sansui and other Japanese audio equipment and cars are using the JIS standard and a conventional Phillips screwdriver just doesn't fit properly and often leads to damaging the cross point drive.

I recently bought this JIS +2 100 screw driver and I'm in love. It fits these little screws and it's a joy to use. It has a nice magnetic tip to add to it's utility.

This Vessel JIS +2 screwdriver is available on eBay or Amazon. The price varies quite a bit so shop around for the best deal. I got this one for about $8 delivered on a very slow boat from Japan. I've never seen a JIS screwdriver made or distributed by a US company.

View attachment 1351296

My previous favorite screwdriver is also shown in the picture. It's a knock off of a Craftsman screwdriver that I found in the street when I was in high school. It has no markings on it but fits JIS screws properly. It's from the early 1970s, a time when knock offs were made in Japan. Until now, it was the screwdriver I always reached for when working on Sansui but I like this Vessel better. Get one. You will be amazed how well it works.

- Pete
Ah Yeah... nothing like the correct standard... and they look to be the same but they aren't. Even more important when using a power driver, so easy to damage the head, not to mention the bit. How many times has someone said 'cheap Japanese screws' after stripping the head of a Japanese 'Phillips' with a quality driver, when it was not the screw at all, it was the fit. As soon as you put the right one in there it seems to lock in... you feel it instantly.

Interesting, did not know this about Japanese gear.

The British had a similar situation, star cross screws that are not Phillips screws, but rather Pozidriv screws.
Used on Zenith Stromberg carbs on some Triumph cars.

Nice article but titled poorly

Should read the joy of A Japanese Phillips screwdriver. I was getting ready to pull out my Winchester screwdrivers...

Most well-made British items use Pozidriv rather than Phillips; it's far more common over here. The resistance to cam-out is much better, and so more tightening/loosening torque can be applied.

I've bought thousands of cross-point wood screws over the past several decades and never been offered Phillips, and neither would I accept them.

I realised that JIS was different to the others, but I didn't know why until reading the excellent posts from LBPete and JP. I've sometimes found that using a No1 Pozidrive bit to turn what appears to be, in effect, a No 2 JIS screw does the job, just. I've never tried it with Phillips bits.

I have dozens of screwdrivers, including a set made like the one you picture with the black tip. Now I know why some work so much better than others on some screws.

Nice article but titled poorly

Should read the joy of A Japanese Phillips screwdriver. I was getting ready to pull out my Winchester screwdrivers...

That's the problem, a JIS cross point screw is not Phillips but here in the US, if it has a cross point it's called Philips regardless of what it actually is.

Phillips and Pozidrive drive are both trademarked names for specific configurations of a cross point screw head design. There are others like Fearson or Reed and Prince. The all have unique cross sections and are different than a JIS cross point configuration. A Pozidrive screw head is identified by four lines radiating from the center.

These are all unique configurations and each requires the mating screwdriver to prevent damage to the screw head.

- Pete

I have dozens of screwdrivers, including a set made like the one you picture with the black tip. Now I know why some work so much better than others on some screws.
A black tip is not an indication that it's a JIS screwdriver. Lots of Phillips screwdrivers have black tips.

- Pete

It's the little details, isn't it?

Thanks, Pete!! Have wondered about that for decades, and had no clue.

Very true! I have a set of Vessel JIS bits for my Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver, best money I ever spent on screw turning technology.

Also, sometimes a JIS bit will get out a tough Phillips screw. Seriously.

I wandered around Harbor Freight one day with my 20% off coupon and a Free with any purchase coupon and was looking for something I actually needed. Found a single double ended + screwdriver bit and it would be a fine addition to my B&D powered screwdriver. It is a bit large for the smallest screws but it fits most screws I find in the Japanese gear. A great purchase for the sale price of 69¢, less 20% and a free whatever it was that I had the coupon for.

I like the 4 in 1 screwdriver they give away with coupon, too. Seems to fit fairly well and doesn't cam out like the US crosspoint screwdrivers do.

Bottom line, using the proper tool for the fastener is much better and can prevent a lot of damage trying to use something that is close enough.

Thanks for the topic LBP.

Attachments

• Screwdriver.jpg
    Screwdriver.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 60
I wandered around Harbor Freight one day with my 20% off coupon and a Free with any purchase coupon and was looking for something I actually needed. Found a single double ended + screwdriver bit and it would be a fine addition to my B&D powered screwdriver. It is a bit large for the smallest screws but it fits most screws I find in the Japanese gear. A great purchase for the sale price of 69¢, less 20% and a free whatever it was that I had the coupon for.

I like the 4 in 1 screwdriver they give away with coupon, too. Seems to fit fairly well and doesn't cam out like the US crosspoint screwdrivers do.

Bottom line, using the proper tool for the fastener is much better and can prevent a lot of damage trying to use something that is close enough.

Thanks for the topic LBP.

I have a bunch of those freebe HF 4 in 1 screwdrivers. They are better than most for JIS screws but still not right.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom