The Maxell Reel to Reel Tape Reference Guide

Hi Numistrek09,
really well-done survey. Can we turn it into a leaflet?
Matthias Draeger; publisher from Luebeck

It’s been said already, but what a labor of Maxell reel to reel tape love. Very appreciated!!

So is anyone else curious about the pecking order of “best” tape down to “better” and then “good”. We humans like to rank things, and Maxell certainly made many high quality tape reels, appropriate for various great decks, however wonder about a UDXL >UD > LN pecking order.

Certainly those made in Japan are preferred to Mexico (if they ever offshored reels like they did with cassettes). Sealed in original box preferred to used. And those are getting pricey, so what are the best used Maxell tapes to look for…

I just visited Doha and in the middle of a busy market there was a shop that had a display of old junk, and amongst all that stuff were a few Akais in rather poor condition but one of them had this Maxell reel on it. I never saw this example before and here it is for the Maxell affacionados :).

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 15
I'm still around, just not as often anymore. You are more than welcome to add to this, as is the rest of the community. And every now and then, i may even drop in with a few new goodies of my own discovering. Like these two:

A plain white box UD 25-120 7" reel

and a "Broadcast Quality" XLI 50-30B 7" reel.
Does anyone have the spreadsheet to share, the link is no longer active.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom