The NEW Grado Hum Database

i have a pioneer vsx-ds1(overkill on power-yay) pushing AR5's. technics sl-d5 direct drive. cARTrige is an oldish grado M+ with a new grado blue stylus. now because of the old TT going into a newer amp('91) i need to set the volume to 11o'clock(hen there is something like 130 watts a channel)-----no hum.
actually when i first set up the turntable there was a lot of hum but i took off the cartridge and pushed the wires on a little more snug, now its all good

Thank You

I appreciate the work you did here. Very helpful.

You ain't too bad a guy you know! :thmbsp:

Sweet - I appreciate the work that must have been. Thanks!

Sl1200MkII with a Grado Blue that I haven't fired up yet but am anticipating no hum thanks to the data.

PM me with your Grado hum entries.

Please PM me with your Grado hum entries. I am tending the database for Sansui Louie. Please do not post in this thread.

Last edited:
Just Installed a Grado Black 1 on my Technics Sl1200 mk2. No hum at all. Sound's pretty good for $45.00 Cartridge , which I got off E Bay. When I get a chance I'll try it on my Denon DP300-F.

Well I just got a Yamaha YP 450 from Bolly and immediately put the Grado Black I purchased for the Pioneer on it. No hum so add that to the data base as well. The Pioneer PL-530 that I bought from Broonsbane just arrived today so will be trying that out soon as well. I have to pry the Grado off the Yamaha though, sounds so sweet. Thanks Bolly.

Just to finish off I put the Grado Black onto the Pioneer PL530 today. This is the TT that I purchased the Grado for and am very glad to report no humm, she's as quiet as can be.

User ID and password for spreadsheet?

When I click on the link, I get a prompt asking for ID and password. Sorry if I missed it.

I don't have a Grado cart (yet) but I'm interested.

p.s. I'm temporarily using an elderly computer with Win98. Don't know if that's the problem.

Thanks,
buelligan

When I click on the link, I get a prompt asking for ID and password. Sorry if I missed it.

I don't have a Grado cart (yet) but I'm interested.

p.s. I'm temporarily using an elderly computer with Win98. Don't know if that's the problem.

Thanks,
buelligan
Try it now.

Rega P3 + Grado Prestige Green = NO HUM

I recently bought a used Rega P3 that had a Grado Prestige Green already installed. At first I thought I'd pass on it, as that's supposed to be the hummiest combo extant, but then I thought, hey, that's something I've never heard, the Grado/Rega (Grega?) hum, so I decided to buy it.

There's not one iota of Grega hum.

I wish I could say the same about surface noise.

Please PM me with your Grado hum entries. I am tending the database for Sansui Louie. Please do not post in this thread.

What's wrong with Grado? Do some of them have hum problems? I thought these were supposed to be good.

I was thinking of getting a Grado Red mono for a separate headshell to use for my mono LP's (same tracking weight and price as my stereo Audio Technica).

Should I consider something else?

Any ideas WHY certain Grado's hum? I have a Dual 701 w/ a Grado Sonata..matched w/ my Kenwood KA 9100...there is hum when the tonearm returns to its "rest"...when I cue the tonearm over in in groove,it goes away...anybody have any ideas?...it only is real noticeable at loud volumes with bass up...ive tried switching/rotating the plug 180 degrees, that only switched the hum to when I cued the arm over,then it hummed...then at rest no hum..!!... LOL...its not a big enough problem (yet ha!) to bother taking in to be checked/repaired...any ideas?..Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom