The new Technics sp 10R details .PDF

If anybody finds out where you can buy one let me know. This table would be the end all TT.

bob can you adopt me, I had a feeling this post would me tempting for you.
This in my book would be my "last" table and I mean it this time.

This is going to drive the OCD crowd nuts. The pic of the turntable complete has this caption:

Direct Drive Turntable System SL-1000R
*Headshell and cartridge are not included

WTF? no headshell included with the tonearm? How is one supposed to get the correct headshell for this turntable to complete the unit? Does have three different aux weights to use to accommodate different cartridge+headshell weights.

This is going to drive the OCD crowd nuts. The pic of the turntable complete has this caption:

Direct Drive Turntable System SL-1000R
*Headshell and cartridge are not included

WTF? no headshell included with the tonearm? How is one supposed to get the correct headshell for this turntable to complete the unit? Does have three different aux weights to use to accommodate different cartridge+headshell weights.
Another $10,000 for the headshell. :rflmao:

bob can you adopt me, I had a feeling this post would me tempting for you.
This in my book would be my "last" table and I mean it this time.
The funny thing is I started a thread a few weeks ago on me buying a new TT. I never considered the 1200 series but this one is it.

I would just buy the motor and controller. I would build or buy a nice plinth for it then add a nice arm. Maybe a Kuzma 4 point. :naughty:

As for price I don't believe there has been an official announcement from Technics yet as to what it will be. As I remember in the Fremer video of the 10R the rep from Panasonic when asked by Fremer said the price hadn't been determined. I could be way off but my guess it will be half the price of the VPI direct drive with the 1000R selling for around $15,000 including tonearm and plinth. Maybe I read it wrong but my understanding is the 10R motor unit will drop in the previous SP-10Mk2/3 plinths so those owners could just upgrade the motor unit and controller without replacing their plinth and tonearm. As for the headshell that is probably an oversight on Technics part and one will come with the tonearm. The last foot to fall from Technics will be if they revive their former line of high end cartridges. Stand corrected, just saw another AK post re the upcoming CES show and it mentions a price of $10,000 for the SP-10R motor unit/controller.

Last edited:
As for price I don't believe there has been an official announcement from Technics yet as to what it will be. As I remember in the Fremer video of the 10R the rep from Panasonic when asked by Fremer said the price hadn't been determined. I could be way off but my guess it will be half the price of the VPI direct drive with the 1000R selling for around $15,000 including tonearm and plinth. Maybe I read it wrong but my understanding is the 10R motor unit will drop in the previous SP-10Mk2/3 plinths so those owners could just upgrade the motor unit and controller without replacing their plinth and tonearm. As for the headshell that is probably an oversight on Technics part and one will come with the tonearm. The last foot to fall from Technics will be if they revive their former line of high end cartridges.

It was confirmed by Analog Planet yesterday: https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...ect-drive-reference-class-turntables-ces-2018

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/technics-sl-1000r-turntable-price-release-date-specs-news-3368588

"The price for the SP-10R alone has been confirmed as $10,000. Yeah, ouch. But the $20,000 you’ll have to pay for the SL-1000R is more of an argh-uh-ugh-thud. Only seriously dedicated audiophiles need apply."

I think that's a crazy high price for the arm and plinth. BUT I predict that a) they did their to-the-nth-degree level of engineering on it, like they've apparently done on the drive system, b) some people will pay it because "wow," c) they will recoup their investment because of b).

What we can then hope is that there's some trickle down in the product line in the future. Even though I can't afford these, I am very excited for the hobby that they're being made.

As for price I don't believe there has been an official announcement from Technics yet as to what it will be. As I remember in the Fremer video of the 10R the rep from Panasonic when asked by Fremer said the price hadn't been determined. I could be way off but my guess it will be half the price of the VPI direct drive with the 1000R selling for around $15,000 including tonearm and plinth. Maybe I read it wrong but my understanding is the 10R motor unit will drop in the previous SP-10Mk2/3 plinths so those owners could just upgrade the motor unit and controller without replacing their plinth and tonearm. As for the headshell that is probably an oversight on Technics part and one will come with the tonearm. The last foot to fall from Technics will be if they revive their former line of high end cartridges.
I wouldn't bet the farm on this, only because there are other arms that do not include the head-shell, Thomas Schick being one.

But ya, I hope it is an oversight (but something tells me it isn't).

No headshell won't be a deal breaker for the people that have 20g's to spend on it. But for 20g's you would thing they would throw one in. The plinth and arm are way over priced IMO.

So curious minds want to know, how much better will the new Motor be at speed stability and Wow and Flutter? Then their is isolation which might better the old tables, just don't really know. They claim Wow and Flutter at .015, where as the old SP10 MkII was at .025. The platter on the new table is quite a bit heavier at almost three times that of the older model, and having the two types of metal helps some as well. It is new so that has a lot going for it as your sure to have a perfect finish, where as a used one in most cases will not. But you can find the used ones for much less money, and as Mr. Pigs recent find shows, a careful buyer can get pretty close for a lot less money.

For sure. I think the motor and controller is a reasonable price for what your getting.

I am not sure reasonable would be the best word to describe its price. ;)

I think I would rather spend what Mr. Pig's table cost and just have a little less of the new!

Back
Top Bottom