The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

The only Blitzkrieg album I have not heard.
OMG, I stumped the man!!!
I do not own it.
I discovered it about four years ago while digging around in YouTube and Spotify for NWOBHM material. At that time I had no idea that Blitzkrieg existed beyond "A Time Of Changes"

I don't have to sell it to you Rob. It's everything you'd expect from Brian Ross and more. I'd buy it, but it's already cost prohibitive on the second hand market just 11 years after it's release. Seems to be middling in the $50.00 range.

On the subject of the great Brian Ross.
Ive got a CD-R full of Satan demo's rolling right now, compiled from You Tube video's a few years back. Brian doesn't appear on any of these demo's, yet he is the voice of the band.
(I can only assume that he was a beyatch to work with back in the day)

Last edited:
OMG, I stumped the man!!!
I do not own it.
I discovered it about four years ago while digging around in YouTube and Spotify for NWOBHM material. At that time I had no idea that Blitzkrieg existed beyond "A Time Of Changes"

I don't have to sell it to you Rob. It's everything you'd expect from Brian Ross and more. I'd buy it, but it's already cost prohibitive on the second hand market just 11 years after it's release. Seems to be middling in the $50.00 range.

Well I did know of, haha. It is a weird release that came out on a small-ish label and I never even knew about it for years after. Normally I hear of these things. High Roller Records seems to have a campaign to pretty much release the entire 'Krieg back catalogue on vinyl (or at least some label has (for example the new album is on a Danish label)) so I anticipate this to be reissued, I just have not seen any news of this yet, which is odd.

I don't feel so bad now. Blitzkrieg released a bunch of albums that I wasn't aware of until four of five years ago. I really thought it was "A Time Of Changes" period, end of story until then.

Last edited:
More Blitzkrieg that I never knew about until recently. 1998's The Mists of Avalon, released by Neat Metal. I know it's been reissued on vinyl very recently on the High Roller label.

It's a pretty big departure from what Blitzkrieg usually does. Lots of progressive power metal throughout.
The opening track is a nearly 20 minute five part opus based on the Legend Of King Arthur.

I Am The Doctor (Who Are You) is about Doctor Who. Pretty funny.

Princess Of The World is a rather forgettable tribute to Lady Diana Spencer. It feels a bit forced and contrived. Guess it was just something that Brian needed to get off of his chest.

There are two instrumental pieces on the album The Mighty "A" and Anasazi.

All in all it's a fine album. Not they're finest, but worthy of ownership.

(clicking the pic will open a youtube link to the full album)

Last edited:
More Blitzkrieg that I never knew about until recently. 1998's The Mists of Avalon, released by Neat Metal. I know it's been reissued on vinyl very recently on the High Roller label.

It's a pretty big departure from what Blitzkrieg usually does. Lots of progressive power metal throughout.
The opening track is a nearly 20 minute five part opus based on the Legend Of King Arthur.

I Am The Doctor (Who Are You) is about Doctor Who. Pretty funny.

Princess Of The World is a rather forgettable tribute to Lady Diana Spencer. It feels a bit forced and contrived. Guess it was just something that Brian needed to get off of his chest.

There are two instrumental pieces on the album The Mighty "A" and Anasazi.

All in all it's a fine album. Not they're finest, but worthy of ownership.

(clicking the pic will open a youtube link to the full album)

Metal in 1998 was in a pretty sorry state, after years of abject neglect by record labels, so many bands vanished. If you put it in that context this album was actually pretty amazing.

Back in 2009 High Roller continued with their long running task of releasing archival collections of NWOBHM. This one is pretty killer with the 2 legendary tracks from their classic 7" plus an additional 8 tracks of solid stuff. More on the melodic edge of things, these are not heavy grinders. More hard rockers. Glad for this thread because I have not listened to this album in some years, until now that is..
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG
https://www.discogs.com/Bashful-Alley-Its-About-Time/master/662802

Last edited:
It's amazing that this little outfit from Lancaster, England, who only managed to release one official recording, a 7" 45rpm single in '82 would get a full length album 23 years later. Hat's off to High Roller Records.
R-4343100-1362311488-6859.jpeg.jpg

R-4343100-1362311511-7658.jpeg.jpg

R-4343100-1362311521-4740.jpeg.jpg

Feeling a little lazy so I fired up Spotify and have my Daily NWOBHM Mix running. It always slips in a few non NWOBHM's into the mix, but they certainly fit.
I get exposed to a lot of stuff that I don't know on this list.
nwobhm1.jpg

Feeling a little lazy so I fired up Spotify and have my Daily NWOBHM Mix running. It always slips in a few non NWOBHM's into the mix, but they certainly fit.
I get exposed to a lot of stuff that I don't know on this list.
nwobhm1.jpg
7 of the 12 songs shown not NWOBHM, haha. All Pretty good stuff though. I wonder if that Savage grace is the butchered remix that came out a few years ago.?

It's amazing that this little outfit from Lancaster, England, who only managed to release one official recording, a 7" 45rpm single in '82 would get a full length album 23 years later. Hat's off to High Roller Records.
The label brought it back into print last year and the 2 CD version has a complete live reunion set, which I have not heard.
https://www.hrrecords.de/high_roller/sites/release_detail.php?id=825

I'm tempted to by it as it is mastered by Patrick W. Engel. I do not believe he worked on the mastering for the original first pressing. Engel is a great conservationist of vintage audio.

7 of the 12 songs shown not NWOBHM, haha. All Pretty good stuff though. I wonder if that Savage grace is the butchered remix that came out a few years ago.?
Yeah, it can be hit or miss. Spotify does the picking. They're not actually calling it a NWOBHM list. That's just what I call it because it's making selections based off of my NWOBHM listening. I should try to tweak it and see if I can get it to go pure NWOBHM.

This is what's currently playing.
nwobhm2.jpg

That list made me pull this favorite.
Epic NWOBHM / DOOM METAL here. The title track starts out very Sabbathy with a Laguna Sunriseish acoustic guitar opening to a crushing guitar riff. Brilliant lyrics about the Cold War Soviet Union threat of nuclear war.

Witchfinder General - Soviet Invasion c/w Rabies & R.I.P. (live) 12" 45rpm E.P.
1982 Heavy Metal Records 12 HMR 1
https://www.discogs.com/Witchfinder-General-Soviet-Invasion/release/1531904
002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Another gem from the UK, just look at that lineup! Have it on vinyl too but I'm busy at the moment doing 2 things at once so this will work. Satan always hits the right spot but Battleaxe reminds me I have not listened to their album lately, need to do something about that. There are some not so exciting tracks on this one but that is forgotten by the qualityof the othertracks
IMG_1382.JPG
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Roxcalibur/release/4804990

Back
Top Bottom