The next AK Fest ?

Discussion in 'AK Fest 2005' started by Grumpy, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

Call me Farking nuts but I already started thinking about 2006.

Want it to be bigger/smaller, 1,2,3 days, More vendors ? Where its held. Hell let us know what your thinking bout these or anything else related to the fest and or how to make it better.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. EchoWars

EchoWars Hiding in Honduras

I really liked all the separate rooms...I had misgivings about it, but it turned out damn cool.

Might be a tough one to replicate I know...

Southfield is cool with me, unless ya'all want to come to Kansas City. :)

3. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

Portland Oregon in the Springtime . . . you'll really like it here! :D

4. CarlV

CarlV AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah grumpy! :lmao:

Carl

5. Reel 2 Reel

Reel 2 Reel Mad Dog Junkie

A repeat of this year would be nice...even if we have to pay a little more for the rooms.....if a 'volume discount' can be gotten

6. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

I say somewhere in Southern Ohio/Kentucky/Northern carolina's...somewhere where more people can reach by driving and brings some gear..:)

7. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

There is NO location that will make all happy !

8. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

True. but far north, far east, far south, far west, does limit more in a way...when you want to draw people in,,central locations should help i would think.

9. dingus

dingus Super Member

isnt Iowa the center of North America?

10. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Grumpy won't say this, so I will. If it moves, somebody, or some bodies, better be prepared to eat sleep, and breath AKFest, for several months, until it is a week past the closing. You can't do it 'long-distance'. Grumpy and his crew set the bar HIGH, for whoever does the next one. (Even if it stays here, and the Grumpys, et al, run it again.) An event that successful just doesn't happen by accident.

If I am wrong, Grumpy will be the first to correct me. And I will stand duly chastised.

11. Grumpy

And Iowa has what 3 members there ? :)

The Fest Has to be somewhere that has a fairly large concentration of members. Unfortunately that leaves out a whole lot of states.

Grumpy

12. dingus

dingus Super Member

luvvinvinyl makes a great point. it should be left to the good folks that make it happen to decide where they want to hold it. most folks, like me (if i can make it work - ROAD TRIP!!!), will just show up for the most part.

13. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

Hmmmmm . . .

how does the beautiful city of Detroit sound to everyone? :thmbsp:

14. styler

styler Super Member

Centrality

MEMPHIS

1. good airport with lots of direct flights
    2. Central USA
    3. Good food
    4. Good music scene
    5. Graceland!
    6. Sun Records!
    7. Beale St = Blues
    8. Some of the best BBQ in the world

Cleveland - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and all
    Austin, TX - Killer live music scence

15. dgwojo

dgwojo Super Member

Craig's truck (NOSValves) and 3 of his tube amps, six of my Altec A7's and a ballroom, that's all I ask!! :scratch2:

16. RichPA

RichPA Don't drive angry Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Can't comment on where to hold it (though I agree, Iowa is the center of the uinverse, I think - at least, I thought it was when I grew up there :)) - but my wife says we're there next year, even if it is on her birthday again. She took one look at the group pic and said I'd fit right in (you guys decide who's been insulted there!).

17. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

tyler, memphis is a GREAT city! As an AKFest site, do you want a place that lures you away from the fest, competes with it, as it were? Or do you want to spend most of the time in the Fest? Most cities can come up with a place for drinks and live music, a la 'Memphis Smoke'. (Little bit of irony, there)

As well, you would need about a dozen tireless maniacs, who have would be willing to give up their other life, for about 6 months. Our own Grumpmeister counts for 4 or 5, on his own. Does the Memphis AK contingent have that kind of resource? I'm not being sarcastic, I don't know the answer to that question. I have been involved in events of the scope of the Fest, and larger, and it has always been a MUCH bigger project than anybody, even the staff anticipated.

That said, if there is a group of dedicated, fearless adventurers, who want to take on the next AK Fest, I am sure that Grumpy would love to be able to attend one. Remember the event coordinator never gets to enjoy the event.

18. Fisherdude

Fisherdude Regular Dude - Super Mod Staff Member Super Mod

Luvvinvinyl hit the key point...

If it's not close enough for Grumpy to strangle the shit out of the hotel people, we'll need somebody local to be the contact for months prior to the event. This is not something that can be handled in a few hours for a few days ahead of time. It's a boatload of work. Although there are several states that are a few hours closer to the center of the US than Michigan, I'm not sure it's really going to make a significant difference in who can attend. It'll be easier for some, a deal-breaker for others. The same can be said about just about anywhere. We can do Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Memphis, or Dallas, it won't make any difference to the west-coast members.

As far as the layout goes, I thought this year was terrific. The individual small rooms allowed better listening, and a better chance to talk to folks than last year. Plus, it means more opportunities for members and vendors to have a room than if we were using the small meeting rooms like last year. And, having the rooms on the top floor with our sleeping rooms below meant that we were able to insulate the rest of the hotel from the music. It will really be tough to come up with a better plan.

While the hotel isn't quite the Hyatt Regency, if we were paying $175 a night, it would eliminate an awful lot of potential attendees. I think it's really the best balance we could get. It sounds like I'm pitching for the same place next year...

If we have it in driving distance for me, I'm putting in the first request for a room! I'll bring an assortment of Fisher tube gear and some speakers.

Just any dates except the first weekend in April!

19. styler

styler Super Member

places

i know, i know... Detroit was a bitch for me, drove 2200mi RT! i was trying to think of a place that was easy to get to, cheap to fly to, and also had good nightlife. i think a 3 days fest with one day dedicated to something off the beaten path might be cool too, thats how i came up with Memphis. i'd be happy to coordinate the Fest in Little Rock, but who the hell wants to come to Arkansas! seems like we have a strong TX contingent and flying in and out of Dallas or Houston is usually not too expensive. there are many places where i bet we could get the whole hotel, like a Route 66 Motel... maybe we should think about rotating areas, west coast, midwest, south, east coast, and Canada. do a little long range planning which would allow for more members to come, different vendors, etc. on the other hand, Grump and family did a great job! and having someone experienced with the set up and site makes a huge difference. just tossing out thoughts.
    tyler

20. Reel 2 Reel

Reel 2 Reel Mad Dog Junkie

The other option is to have simultainous fests (within reason)...by members in their respected areas....like 'AK Fest North'...'AK Fest central'...'AK Fest south' ...'South central'...ect...if anyone wants to put one together.....the help will be there, for the asking, to acomplish a feat!....there are enough members ...... :thmbsp: