The official AK golf thread

Played in a 6 man 9 hole cross country tournament. An example might be teeing off on 3 to 12 green some 750 yds away. Loved it!

Still pretty cold here in the north east. 50 is my over under to play, mid 40's this weekend although I might try to get to a range to hit a few balls. Scheduled to play on Friday 3/30 as we are off that day, going to play with the boys from work, it would be nice to have a few swings in beforehand.

Congratulations on the Ace, SoCal. I have only ever seen one myself, my own, and that includes 8+ years of caddying.

Got my first career hole in one this afternoon. It was a down wind 8 iron on a 167 yard par three.

Welcome to the club! It's such a relief when it finally happens. Mine was a couple years ago after a 55 year wait. I just though, to myself, "what was so hard about that"?

Welcome to the club! It's such a relief when it finally happens. Mine was a couple years ago after a 55 year wait. I just though, to myself, "what was so hard about that"?

It happened on a muni course. The City sends out a certificate for aces. It's funny because the form does not require witness signature. Much like drivers license and voting, no verification is needed. Only in California.

I got my one and only in 1998 with 3 witnesses. Unfortunately I didn't see the ball go in the hole. It was a 130 yard uphill shot that you could only see the top of the flag from the tee box. Looked all over for the ball before looking in the cup. Been within a foot or less many times but not another one YET. ;)

P.S. I got a certificate which is framed and hanging on the wall next to my desk and I still have the ball sitting in my Franklin mint 59 Caddy Convertible. I also had the 3 people I was playing with sign my score card. All three of them I had never met before. I was on a 4 day golf vacation at the time and played like crap every day other than the ace.

Last edited:
I was happy to play well on the day I scored my ace. I only had time for 9 that day and was playing the back nine of our course. My ace came on the 11 hole I got to 18 needing a par for a 39. I drained a 12 footer for my par and the 39. Honestly I think I was happier with that putt than I was with the ace.

9D64E530-B5F7-4915-8B28-A1CE7D53F6AE.jpeg
Just came accross this photo I took last summer of a club that is a couple of miles from my house. I get to play there a few times a year. You have to crush a drive to get across the road.

Going to get fitted today. Kind of excited. Never had an official fitting before - so we'll see how close I've been able to come on my own. Who knows, may translate to new irons!

Got my first career hole in one this afternoon. It was a down wind 8 iron on a 167 yard par three.

Congratulations! I have yet to get one. Bunch of eagles, but no hole in one.
Regards,
Jim

Congrats!
A few years back I got a "double-bogey ace" on a par 3. Playing in the county amateur, even par going into #17, 170yd. par 3 with water everywhere. Pulled my tee shot into water, tee up again, into the drink. Third time, two bounces into the hole.

I drove by my local course today and I'm kinda bummed out. In the off season I regripped all my clubs and am just itching to go. I picked up an Alien driving iron just before the end of the season last year and haven't even got to hit one ball with it. My course drive by today shows a good 6 inches of snow still on most of the course. Might not get to play til May at this rate unless it gets warm real fast. Most days lately we've been in the 50's but that white crap ain't melting fast enough for me. ;)

I bought a new bag yesterday so I'm committed to playing another year. After last year, with my bad back giving me fits I had doubts about this season. However a couple of steroid injections has really helped so I'm hopeful. I've played nine twice with relatively little pain. Better yet my balance was pretty solid which for me is key. I hit a couple of really good shots which was a surprise given that I hadn't played since last September. I've played golf for so many years, and for a while at a pretty decent level, that it's not much fun for me when I can't play at close to my expectations. Anyway the bag comes tomorrow and maybe I'll even post a picture of it.

Hit all the fairways and make all the putts!

Back
Top Bottom