The official AK golf thread

Finally getting above 50 here in the northeast and i have made it to the range twice so far. Working on slowing down my swing. It is pretty simple, the faster I swing the worse I play. Going to play my first round of the year next Friday with a couple of friends from work,as the markets are closed. Let's hope the weather holds out, it would be nice to get back out on the links. Good luck to all this year on whatever your goals are.

My local course opened on Saturday but I have things to do so can't get out til Thursday, so looking forward to it plus I get to try out a few new to me clubs, like a couple Taylormade hybrids, a Top Flite Driver and the Titlelist putter. I doubt the Titleist will replace my Ping that I like so much but sometimes ya gotta try new things

I don't carry any hybrids, I could never figure out how to hit one. Do you swing it like an iron or a fairway metal, it was lost on me so I gave it away. I am a good fairway woods player so I just carry a bunch of them. I take David Feherty's advice, "amateurs should have more pom-poms in their bags." Haven't carried a 2 or 3 iron in my bag in ages, heck now I have dropped my 4 iron.

I don't carry any hybrids, I could never figure out how to hit one. Do you swing it like an iron or a fairway metal, it was lost on me so I gave it away. I am a good fairway woods player so I just carry a bunch of them. I take David Feherty's advice, "amateurs should have more pom-poms in their bags." Haven't carried a 2 or 3 iron in my bag in ages, heck now I have dropped my 4 iron.

I'm dropping my 3i for a 5w. I carry three wedges.

I'm with you on the 3 wedges, a 56* sand wedge, a 52* pitching wedge, and a 48* that came with the set of irons, all TaylorMade. with a good swing I hit them, 80-100-120 respectively. A pro told me that a 60 degree wedge was the worst club ever inflicted on the average golfer, he estimated most players only hit it well 50% of the time. I had one but ditched it pretty quickly.

I'm with you on the 3 wedges, a 56* sand wedge, a 52* pitching wedge, and a 48* that came with the set of irons, all TaylorMade. with a good swing I hit them, 80-100-120 respectively. A pro told me that a 60 degree wedge was the worst club ever inflicted on the average golfer, he estimated most players only hit it well 50% of the time. I had one but ditched it pretty quickly.

I carry 52, 56, and 60 as well as the standard 46d PW. I suppose that is four wedges then.

5i-pw, 51, 54, 58. Driver, 18 hybrid, 24 hybrid. Yeah, only 13 with the putter. I could put the 4 iron back in, but given a choice between that and the 24 degree hybrid, hybrid all the way. I could add an X-wedge, but I rarely need it. I can hit the strong hybrid almost as far as the 3 wood, and it's a hell of a lot better off the deck. Bag's lighter, too. ;)

My 60 is my favorite club - practice with it and you might discover how versatile it can be.

For everyone who carries, or is considering carrying, a lob wedge, pay attention to this quote. If you don't practice with this club, leave it in the garage. Trust me. If you don't practice, 20% of your shots will be satisfactory, 40% will be chunks, and 40% will be dead skulls.

For everyone who carries, or is considering carrying, a lob wedge, pay attention to this quote. If you don't practice with this club, leave it in the garage. Trust me. If you don't practice, 20% of your shots will be satisfactory, 40% will be chunks, and 40% will be dead skulls.
Which is only marginally worse than the performance of the rest of the bag, without regular play and practice.

My 60 is my favorite club - practice with it and you might discover how versatile it can be.
I had a Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* wedge, it was fine out of the rough for high lob shots around the green, but I could not hit out of the fariway with any consistency. I know a poor worker blames his tools, but I hit my 56* Taylormade ATV wedge far better and by laying it open I can hit flop shots around the green.
upload_2019-4-11_9-2-25.jpeg

I'm not sure on my wedge lofts but I carry a Titleist pitching wedge (my guess is 48-52 degree) that I hit about 110 yards or so when I flush it, a Wilson dual wedge that mostly gets used out of bunkers that I hit about 80-100 yards, and a Wilson Gene Sarizin wedge I hit about 50-70 yards. Somewhere in my club collection I have a 64 degree wedge that I can't hit at all. ;)

Best guess was that he just caught the ball a little high on the clubface, and flighted it higher than he intended.

I think the bigger surprise was washing his ball on 12. You can be in the bunker, you can be in the azaleas, but you can't be in the water. Biggest mistake of the round.

Back
Top Bottom