The Official H/K Citation Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by 4Play, May 5, 2015.

1. daveg3588

daveg3588 Toy addict Subscriber

Nice score, the 11/12 are nice units. The double advents were the hot set-up back in the day. Though I was never a fan, many people were. All thats important is that you like and enjoy the music!

Hegeman_dude likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Hegeman_dude

Hegeman_dude New Member

Thank you! This was an interesting read, it's always difficult to find much info on these old amps in one place. I typically have to piece together things on various forums.

It's good to know that the hum is fairly normal for a Citation 12 - mine has a low buzz that kinda freaked me out until I read more about these amps. I was also alarmed at the "thump" after turning off the amp, but I've since learned that that, too, is more or less normal. I may add some speaker relays in the future to help with this.

3. gslikker

gslikker Super Member

Thump is normal, as voltages and currents are compromised when the amp goes off.

buzzing is not, at least I did not notice any.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. Hegeman_dude

Hegeman_dude New Member

Thanks for the input. I should have clarified - the buzzing is not from the amp output, I'm fairly sure it's more of a low hum from the transformers. I've hooked it up to an A/C voltage filter supply and it seems to have almost gone away. I'll keep an eye (or ear) on it, but I'm not too concerned since it sounds great to me.

5. gslikker

gslikker Super Member

Ok, I assumed it was from the amp outputs.

6. Ulysse

Ulysse New Member

Newbie here... saw a citation 21 for sale in my area. How good is the phono part of this preamp? Worth 180?
    There is another Nikko beta 30 for 130. Is citation a better choice? Thanks

7. fred soop

fred soop Super Member

Citation 21 phono preamp circuit design is excellent as is the rest of the unit. Weak point is use of electrolytic capacitors that should have higher voltage ratings. I had an intermittent problem and by the time I could swap cables, swap inputs, or do anything else, it corrected itself. Having already replaced a couple of failed electrolytics in a Citation 24 and a CD 491 tape deck, and discovering that some caps were being run at or even slightly over their rated voltage, I recapped the entire unit. The time penalty is opening it up to get access to both sides of the main circuit board, so no point in stopping at one or two caps. Have had no problems since.

8. Ulysse

Ulysse New Member

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Did you recap with electrolytic or film capacitors? How many are we talking about? It could be expensive if using high value film capacitors.

9. fred soop

fred soop Super Member

Recapped with electrolytics except values under 1 µF were replaced with film. The total was about 50 caps at a total cost of maybe $30. I did not replace the 2 main power supply caps or any in the moving coil section. There would not be room to replace with high value film.

Please register to disable this ad.