The Official KEF R107 Owners Registry

SimplySound

Kent Engineering & Fondry
Subscriber
OK Folks,

With all of the KEF Reference 107's on this board, I thought it would be good to start a registry of serial numbers and document what we have. This may allow us to get some handle on how many of these were produced and it will let us introduce ourselves as owners.

Please feel free to list the R107 or R107/2 and identify them as such with any variations you may know of. We are particularly interested in tracking the KUBE Serial numbers as well. I guess I'll start us off!

EDIT:
Reference Series Model 107 (1986-1990): Highest Serial Number Documented thus far: #4611
Reference Series Model 107 (1986-1990): Highest Serial Number Documented with "Captive Lead KUBE": #1856
Reference Series Model 107 (1986-1990): Lowest Serial Number Documented with "Hz Extension" increments: #3564
Reference Series Model 107/2 (1990-1995): Highest Serial Number Documented thus far: #2112

Last edited:
My name is Doug and I am a KEF R107 Hoarder... I currently have three pairs of the original KEF R107’s as follows;

Walnut veneer – with early Kube: Speaker Serial #1255
KUBE Serial #2223 (I believe the Non-Captive Lead KUBE is original but not sure. Numbers don't match.)

Rosewood veneer – without a Kube: Serial #3760

Rosewood veneer – with 2nd Gen Kube: Speaker Serial #3583
KUBE Serial #3585 (I'm confident this Non-Captive Lead KUBE is original)

The differences in the Kubes are as follows (not sure when this change was made):

First Generation (Screen print logo and "incremental extension"):

IMG_8492.JPG

Second Generation (Logo is a metal tag and extension is listed in "Hz"):

IMG_8493.JPG

Last edited:
Well I suppose I can contribute :)

Mine are serial # 1856, in Walnut. My Kube is the first generation. Also noteworthy is mine have RCA wires permanently in place, whereas I believe the second generation have RCA jacks.

My Kube is the first generation. Also noteworthy is mine have RCA wires permanently in place, whereas I believe the second generation have RCA jacks.

Interesting... maybe there are three versions. My "First Gen" has RCA Jacks, no "permanent wiring". Post a picture Jeff for documentation.

b-IMG_6651.jpg

My 107/2s are #1585 (R&L), and are in light walnut - looks very much like teak to me.

Cool, it looks like the R107/2's were a separate numbering sequence! :thmbsp:

Hey Frommer... post a picture of your Kube so we have that documented for the R107/2... Thanks!

Not fair guys :p
Where does one with the younger brothers 105 sign in LOL

Gonna have to start the R105 Registry Rotary! ;) Or buy a pair of R107's!

Mine are rosewood, 001608 and have the original Kube with captive leads.

Good stuff... it looks like sometime between #1255 and #1608, they changed the KUBE to the Captive interfaces. Thunder, where's your pair?

EDIT: OK, my KUBE #2223 is the "Non-Captive Lead" Version but is older than Raynalds "#1608" KUBE! So it appears Raynald is right, that the "Captive Lead" Version pre-dated the non-captive! And it looks like that switch came sometime between Jeff's #1856 and #2223.

Last edited:
Interesting, I recall the captive leads coming first and then the RCA jacks.

Is everyone checking to see they have the original? Over the decades a few may have been swapped or replaced. Mine is the matching 1608.

Cool, it looks like the R107/2's were a separate numbering sequence! :thmbsp:

Hey Frommer... post a picture of your Kube so we have that documented for the R107/2... Thanks!

You got me curious enough to dig up the receipt, and look at the boxes, so here are all the details on mine...

Purchased (special order) on 4/4/92 for $5018.00 + 200.72 tax = $5218.72 (list price was $5900 + tax)
Box One contained;
1) AC adapter type Sp 2184
1) KUBE type Sp2163
2) Heads type Sp3118 #1585 L&R
Box two & three contained;
2) Enclosures type Sp3119 (walnut) #1585 L&R
and, IIRC as I don't still have it, a fourth box held the two grills.

Probably more detail than anyone would want, but it was fun to look it up, and reminisce.

Here's what the 107/2 KUBE looks like... sorry about the sideways pix!

...and here is a shot of the KUBE in action, keeping Spok's feet warm!

Last edited:
You got me curious enough to dig up the receipt, and look at the boxes, so here are all the details on mine...

Purchased (special order) on 4/4/92 for $5018.00 + 200.72 tax = $5218.72 (list price was $5900 + tax)
Box One contained;
1) AC adapter type Sp 2184
1) KUBE type Sp2163
2) Heads type Sp3118 #1585 L&R
Box two & three contained;
2) Enclosures type Sp3119 (walnut) #1585 L&R
and, IIRC as I don't still have it, a fourth box held the two grills.

Probably more detail than anyone would want, but it was fun to look it up, and reminisce.

...I'll try and post a picture of the KUBE soon.

That's really cool you still have the receipt!

So they did indeed have a fourth box for the grills.. dang.. I've only got 3/4 of the original boxes then. I wonder if the guy I bought 'em from has it.

That's really cool you still have the receipt!

So they did indeed have a fourth box for the grills.. dang.. I've only got 3/4 of the original boxes then. I wonder if the guy I bought 'em from has it.

I'm not certain. I'm really guessing based on only having three boxes, and each has it's contents posted on a label, with no mention of the grills. It's possible the grills came in the "cabinet" boxes, but with such detailed labeling, it seems they would have specified. I'll take another look to see if the packaging would have supported it.
...I'm afraid I just can't remember exactly how they came out of the boxes over 20 years ago! :D

I looked in the owner's manual, and there were indeed, four shipping boxes. One for just the grill "caps", one for each of the base cabinets, and one for both heads, the KUBE & it's PS.

I looked in the owner's manual, and there were indeed, four shipping boxes. One for just the grill "caps", one for each of the base cabinets, and one for both heads, the KUBE & it's PS.

Ah okay thought so. Well, the previous owner can't find the box but said he'd call me if he did.

Kube or not Kube??

I'm new R107 owner. I have KRK Room correction system, which can measure in room frequency response to smooth/flat it. I used that with good result in other speakers. Having KRK, do I need Kube?

I tend to believe that if Kube is just for smoothing bass frequent response. It is the same as KRK, then I rather use KRK which avoids the distortion of high/mid from Kube.

However if Kube not just for flating the bass respond but to boost the bass, which KRK would not do. Then I may need a Kube.

Do I understand correctly? Could any 107 users share your experiences with and without Kube. I especially want to know whether Kube boosts bass signal or not.

Thanks.

I'm new R107 owner. I have KRK Room correction system, which can measure in room frequency response to smooth/flat it. I used that with good result in other speakers. Having KRK, do I need Kube?

I tend to believe that if Kube is just for smoothing bass frequent response. It is the same as KRK, then I rather use KRK which avoids the distortion of high/mid from Kube.

However if Kube not just for flating the bass respond but to boost the bass, which KRK would not do. Then I may need a Kube.

Do I understand correctly? Could any 107 users share your experiences with and without Kube. I especially want to know whether Kube boosts bass signal or not.

Thanks.

CC... please start a separate thread for this discussion. What this thread is for is to DOCUMENT the serial numbers so we can gauge how many there are and what potential differences might exist. Please put your serial number in here with the description like I posted originally.

Your questions about the KUBE can easily be answered in the main forum.

Thanks!

Doug

Back
Top Bottom