The Official KEF R107 Owners Registry

I'm confused, isn't the lower the number the older the speakers?

Yes, I have hz increments 50-18.

Well yes, but yours aren't the earliest we have on record, but you are the earliest we have with the Hz Increments, so you do get a prize!!! Free music! :thmbsp:

Thanks McCarty!

hi,
My 107/2 are #1647, the Kube is #1737. I bought them in Texas, and I live in Canada. I think I beat almost anyone for the longest ride to obtain these Kef's! No I did not drive to Texas, I get them via UPS, if I remember well. My seller had the 4 original boxes, c/w user manual, and top hats.

New member and I picked up a pair new years day 107/2 #1540 kube 1623. I drove 2.5 hrs each way but would have gone a bit farther since locally these get snached up same day their posted.

My 107s showed up today, and not without a SP1209 buzzing like it's voice coil has been shot. :thumbsdn: Always demo. Always.

Anyway, my serials are 001689 for both speakers and 1st gen Kube. Attached RCA connects and numbers 1,2,3,4 instead of Hz for Frequency on face of the Kube.
I also found the original owner's warranty registration card tucked inside the owners manual. This pair were originally purchased in December of 1986.

Last edited:
My 107s showed up today, and not without a SP1209 buzzing like it's voice coil has been shot. :thumbsdn: Always demo. Always.

Anyway, my serials are 001689 for both speakers and 1st gen Kube. Attached RCA connects and numbers 1,2,3,4 instead of Hz for Frequency.

Sorry to hear about the buzzing Creeker! :sigh:

I have used Orange County Speaker for repairs and they can probably repair them. Those drivers are worth it!

Thanks for registering and let us know how it works out!

KEF 107.2 serial numbers

Hello,

I have recently acquired a pair of 107.2's

R/L serial number 1152
KUBE serial number 001156

Regards,

Brian

Hello,

I have recently acquired a pair of 107.2's

R/L serial number 1152
KUBE serial number 001156

Regards,

Brian

Nice Brian... interesting that your KUBE is close to the Speaker SN, but not exact. This lends credence to the fact that maybe KEF did not religiously synch these. :scratch2:

Hi Guys, finally after the huge restoration job on the 105.1 , IMF PM1, IMF RSPM 4, I have acquired a mint pair of R107.

The serial numbers are:
Speakers:
L: 004551
R: 004551
KUBE Version 1: 004551
KUBE Version 2: 002132

12743520_10153364411462606_140248791415428418_n.jpg

Good stuff Marko!!! I think you lend credance to the theory that the KUBE SN matches with the first Generation R107, but begins to deviate in the Second Gen. Could you post some pictures of your KUBE's? At SN 4551, your pair is close to the end of the First Gen run!

Nice scroe by the way!!!

hey guys,
I just saw 3 unicorn Kubes on the auction site. No affiliation with the seller. I already have one spare, and I hope I don't need another.
Figured I'd spread the word here if anyone really needs one.

I have R107's with the serial # 3996 in Walnut . I bought them minus Kube but recently managed to buy a Kube (sp2051) without power supply. The Kube is serial#1957 and it has no unit markings.IMG_20160909_134638.jpg IMG_20160909_134801.jpg

Hello all. New to the forum and I have a problem/question. I've owned a pair of R107/1 (#2488 walnut all matched) since 1989. I just bought an earlier second pair (#1156 walnut all matched) with an early Kube with the captive leads. Here's my problem. I've read as much as I could find about these captive leads and it seems most people with them have RCA leads. Mine are some other weird connection I have no idea what to do with. Any ideas what they are and how I would wire them into my system? Photos are below. Note the second photo has them placed next to a regular RCA for comparison. Thanks for any guidance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 35
Welcome nortchris
You 'weird ' connectors are Camac connectors. Most early Mark Levinson gear used these. You could just remove them and put good quality RCAs on the KUBE.
Congratulations and good luck with your KEFs
Jimmy

I wanted to post a couple of things I noticed in my Kef 107 setup (YMMV).

First, I own both a captive RCA Kube and non captive RCA kube which allows me to run any interconnect. I've been a long time skeptic on the influence cables have on a system, but swapping interconnects has a profound effect on the sound coming out of the 107s in my system. I was able to wake up the somewhat reticent T33 tweeters with a kube cable swap which has opened up a new door for system enhancements. I don't think my current interconnects are all that great, but will be interested in future upgrades to refine the sound.

Second, the non grounded design of the Kube causes a bit of speaker hum at low listening levels when run in tandem with grounded equipment like my pre and power amp. I added a Jensen inline transformer with fantastic results. I know have a nearly black, quiet background with no noticeable effect in sound quality. Probably the best $200 I've spent in system upgrades. Worth a listen if your Kube is causing speaker hum.

KEF 107 Amplification:
Since purchasing my 107s back in 2015, I've connected a number of amps to them in search of the sound I was looking for. Namely, a McCormmack DNA 0.5, Conrad-Johnson MF 2250, Jeff Rowland Model 2 (which I adore), and most recently a Pass Labs XA30.5. I thought the Rowland Model 2 would be my last amp purchase because it does everything right in my system. I still have it and am on the fence about keeping it because I know it'll be hard to find another. I may install it in my office system.

The Pass XA30.5 had been on my radar a while, but I always thought it would have a hard time driving the 107s with its rated 30 class A watts, so I kept passing up on listings until I saw one at a price I couldn't refuse. I'm really amazed at how well this amp pairs with the 107s. It's more forward in presentation than the Rowland, and offers a bit more dynamic range. The sound stage depth on good recordings and well engineered SACDs is incredible. One area that the Pass isn't quite up to the level of the Rowland is in bass clarity, but I've found this is easily tamed with the Kube by setting the Q to it's most overdamped setting, and dialing back the level a notch or two. Overall, I'm thrilled with both the Rowland and the Pass, and just wanted to let other 107 owners know that the XA30.5 offers plenty of power to drive the 107s. I believe the constant 4Ohm load and relative efficiency of the 107 help make this a wonderful pair.

KEF R107 enthusiasts, this would be a good time to become a subscriber,
I mean if NIB appeals to you.

Back
Top Bottom