The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Donna from Sota just got back to me, they have recommended only the narrower width belt since the late 90's for better speed stability, they are confident I can get it to work with adjusting the motor board height with shims.
Guess Ill try and work on it this weekend and see.

Its a Sota supplied belt, I bought it a couple of years ago and kept its a spare. I think I paid about $35 and shipping for it.
Donna from Sota suggested shimming the motor mount but that doesn't seem to work.
Ill have to find out about getting a wider width belt.
Yeah they really need to get talked to about how the belt is supposed to interact with the pulley. I don't get their new belts unless they did something different with the pulley on new tables. I have some old belts I'll get some kind of measurements posted and look for a source other than SOTA.

Donna from Sota just got back to me, they have recommended only the narrower width belt since the late 90's for better speed stability,

That's BS, it doesn't matter if you make those adjustments as the belt will walk all over the pulley. The pulley has a bulge in it and with a wider belt it becomes a self centering design so the belt stays at the same diameter area of the pulley. If the belt walks, it will constantly be changing speed, that narrow belt will walk.

they are confident I can get it to work with adjusting the motor board height with shims.
Read post #28 on page two, you can adjust the pulley up and down with that screw. There is also a small hole in the sub chassis to get to it so you don't have to take anything apart. I don't think this will fix the problem as I said before, but would be all I'm willing to do to see if you can get it to work. Other wise the best fix is a nice correct quality belt.

Apologies for interrupting, but what is the plural for "box"?

IMG_20180718_194130_hdr.jpg

BOXEN!!

Who cares if it cost as much as a truckload of Technics 1200's and weighs twice as much!

It makes such beautiful sounds. :rockon:

IMG_20180718_194212_hdr.jpg

I have missed this silly thing and am so happy to have it back. Donna and the crew at SOTA did a great job refreshing it.

Apologies for interrupting, but what is the plural for "box"?

View attachment 1237987

BOXEN!!

Who cares if it cost as much as a truckload of Technics 1200's and weighs twice as much!

It makes such beautiful sounds. :rockon:

View attachment 1237989

I have missed this silly thing and am so happy to have it back. Donna and the crew at SOTA did a great job refreshing it.
Awesome, I know you must be thrilled to have it back in your system after what must have felt like an eternity without it.

Awesome, I know you must be thrilled to have it back in your system after what must have felt like an eternity without it.

Six weeks. It was horrible!

I had to have...what do they call it...conversations! With...Who was that?

My wife!

The poor woman almost had a breakdown.

Donna from Sota just got back to me, they have recommended only the narrower width belt since the late 90's for better speed stability, they are confident I can get it to work with adjusting the motor board height with shims.

Ok.
My turntable is now fully functional! Im so happy and relieved!

It was a suspension issue.
The old springs had sagged.
The turntable motor and platter could not stay or be adjusted to an aligned plane.
The old wider belt that I originally had was more forgiving with the alignment mismatch until it got too old, the new slimmer belt could not cope.

After installation of new springs (completed it myself today), the alignment is perfect.
The new slim belt rides the pulley at the mid point of the bulge (convexity), & speed stability is awesome.
I actually installed a Roadrunner speed monitor whilst I was at it.
sotaw2.jpgsotaw3.jpg

View attachment 1234549View attachment 1234550
Im a happy Sapphire Series III owner, which Ive used for the past 10 yrs, Jelco SA 750d is my currently preferred arm, I cartridge roll - using the Audio Technica OC9ii and Denon DL 103r, and one day hoping to acquire a Shelter 901.
Off and on Im having speed stability issues, this is very annoying, seems to happen especially after a few hours of use. My table has the series V motor upgrade.
I have a fresh belt. I suspect external voltage fluctuations as the cause.
I was wondering if anyone has used the Phoenix/Falcon PSU for this table, Donna at Sota couldn't say for sure whether this would be compatible.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hope I haven't broken any rules or hijacked a thread.
I really like your table and arm! It's a lot like mine but newer.

Thank you.
I made my own "composite" armboard, with 2 layers of oak, 2 of aluminum, sandwiching a layer of plexiglass (from Michaels crafts store)- glued with epoxy, then cut/trimmed into shape.

Last edited:
Nice to see these tables back up and running again. Still don't have mine, been away 6 weeks now and no response from the shop setting it up...

Not sure if acceptable, but i am in the market for an armboard. Currently have Cosmos drilled for Origin live Silver mkll. Want to buy cosmos or Composite drilled for SME. selling this arm and board.15331351034337488109216013792440.jpg

I have just become a SOTA owner. I am very excited about the whole thing. I never thought this day would come in this life. But it just goes to show that mom was right when she said "All good things are worth waiting for".

Made in 1988 and reportedly never left the sellers home for any repair or up-grades. It looks new in the photos. The seller tells me the "springs / suspension" are in lock-down mode and therefore ready for transit.
How can I check to be sure??

I never heard of this Cartridge. Benz Ace 6, Is it any good?
I will be selling my old table which has a brand new Sumiko Bluepoint Special Evo III on it. I'd like to keep the best cart for the SOTA. Which cart should I keep?

The deal is done and I should pick it up Saturday weather permitting. Is there anything special I should know before I pick this up and put it in the backseat of my car and drive it 700 miles. I plan on putting it on several cushions from my lawn furniture.

Any and all advice welcome.

I'm so happy I'm not even worried about the divorce this will probably bring about.

Last edited:
I have just become a SOTA owner. I am very excited about the whole thing. I never thought this day would come in this life. But it just goes to show that mom was right when she said "All good things are worth waiting for". So here is my new baby:

http://vintageaudioexchange.com/product/sota-turntable-model-star-sapphire/

Made in 1988 and reportedly never left the sellers home for any repair or up-grades. It looks new in the photos. The seller tells me the "springs / suspension" are in lock-down mode and therefore ready for transit.

I never heard of this Cartridge. Benz Ace 6, Is it any good?
I will be selling my old table which has a brand new Sumiko Bluepoint Special Evo III on it. I'd like to keep the best cart for the SOTA. Which cart should I keep?

The deal is done and I should pick it up Saturday weather permitting. Is there anything special I should know before I pick this up and put it in the backseat of my car and drive it 700 miles. I plan on putting it on several cushions from my lawn furniture.

Any and all advice welcome.

I'm so happy I'm not even worried about the divorce this will probably bring about.
That looks like the one from Jamestown NC that I saw on the bay. Not for from where I live.

LotusFool, looks like you did well, especially with the arm that is included. It says it has the original manual and packaging - I would follow the directions in the manual for packing to a "t", and transport the table packed in its box. That will be the safest way.

I can't answer your cartridge question, as I've not used either.

Read this post carefully before shipping. Ensure that the transport screws are locked in place BEFORE moving the table so you don't crack the bearing.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/directions-for-shipping-a-sota-sapphire.813013/

Just read this whole thread and didn't see any Sota Millenia's ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom