The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

In fact do this, loosen the collar that clamps the arms column that you raise up and down for VTA, but don't loose your VTA. With the arm at rest push it towards the outside of the table (Right). Play a record starting at the end to watch it though the runout and see where it stops, if still to close, push the arm further to the right.

Bingo! I had the arm set to the 8 1/16" distance from the spindle recommended in the tonearm instructions and moved it a little farther and it looks like it's clearing the clamp. Thanks!

As for vacuum leaks, it looks like my platter is sealed around the spindle.

IMG_20170618_220831.jpg

No vacuum leak for me! This is a series iv for what it's worth.

As for vacuum leaks, it looks like my platter is sealed around the spindle.

Yes, they all look like that with the groove damper mat. What your not getting is, the vac starts sucking at the outer edge of the platter and record, sealed buy the rubber lip. So the evacuation of air between the platter and record can happen, the records spindle hole needs to be sealed. Otherwise that hole is a leak and sucking air back in between the record and platter.

Good that you got your arm stopping at the right point....:beerchug:

Last edited:
So the evacuation of air between the platter and record can happen

I get what you're saying, but the gap around the record and the spindle hasn't caused a break in sealing during playback - not so I could tell, anyway. What you're saying makes sense so I'm glad I snagged the clamp.

not so I could tell, anyway. What you're saying makes sense so I'm glad I snagged the clamp.

I know it's not that huge of a deal unless the hole is sloppy and big, and the record is not very flat. I'v just made a habit to use some kind of clamp, even these cheap rubber suction cup type. I have one that says radio shack on it.

IMG_2083.JPG IMG_2076.JPG

Ladies and Germs....I present...the Rega/Moth RB-303 arm!

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0068.JPG
    100_0068.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 492
Moth is a distributor who distributes Rega arms, sans any boxes or other paraphernalia at a reduced price.
I already had the overhang protractor and VTA shims from the other arm. So it was a no-brainer.
The cartridge is an Audio Technica LC-140 (line contact nude diamond) that sounds wonderful!
This arm also has upgraded Cardas cables and tags.

I have a very early Sapphire, which originally belonged to a friend here in Nashville who helped Dave Fletcher by building jigs to reduce construction time. He told me the turntable had a shorter base (plinth if you have to) so the bottom chassis peeks out about 1/4 inch. I was lucky he had the Lustre GST800 arm 'cause I like it better than Sumiko's "The Arm", which was the popular choice back in 1981 or 2. I bought an OEM replacement belt when I visited Berkley in 1984 but I've never needed it!
I recall a comment during Linn setup training that "Every Sapphire has a cracked bearing disc." Has anyone looked down the hole? I have not. The story was once you ship the unit and release the shipping screws, the bearing cracks.

I recall a comment during Linn setup training that "Every Sapphire has a cracked bearing disc.
Leave it to a Linn rep to try and spread a rumor, since they got spanked every time they were reviewed together with a SOTA Sapphire or Star.

Has anyone looked down the hole? I have not. The story was once you ship the unit and release the shipping screws, the bearing cracks.

Non of this is true and I've seen many of the disc. If you pull the platter, take the bearing apart and want to look at the disc. It's mounted in the base of the spindle, tap the spindle out of the platter, It's a little snug but will come right out.

So far, I'm loving it! Cue is more fluid and precise. SQ has improved by a large margin...margarine...

I almost find the functions of a arm as important as any small sound change. Kinda like driving a car, it needs to be comfortable and everything in it's place and easy to us.

Back
Top Bottom